Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Hood Scoops

Anyone have a linkee to hood scoops for 1/10 lexan? Need a challenger or eliminator style scoop for VTA project. Any direction greatly appreciated.
The ones I've received in mail were very disappointing and no where near as pictured.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here are a couple of suggestions on modifying any r/c car body.

- Search rc drift forums or use drift in your web search. That segment of this hobby likes to mod their car bodies for scale realism.

- Search for 3d printed options.

- If you find a scoop on an existing body you like, cut it off that body and mount it to a new/different body.

- Check out the car section/plastic model section in a toy store, hobby shop or one stop retailer. You might find a scoop that you can use.

- Learn about the concept of kit-bashing. Reusing various parts from a plastic model or any random part often be re-used in a newer/more interesting way. For example, a random plastic part on an old vacuum cleaner, nerf toy, plastic packing (clam shell), or part of a plastic liquid container might make the perfect hood scoop (or at least be close). Many of the most iconic movie models and props have been created using these types of techniques.

- Learn about and build your own vacuum forming machine. If you already own a decent shop vacuum and an oven, you already have a good start to vacuum form your own parts. There are plenty of DIY videos online for vacuum forming. Small parts shouldn't be too difficult to make at home.

- Contact one of the smaller r/c body manufacturers and see if the would be willing to make a scoop for you. A company like Mcallister racing (RC Race car bodies) will do custom work, but be prepared for the costs and have a budget in mind.

Basically when you want something unusual, you have to be able to think outside of the box. This can be a great creative exercise into becoming your own Macgyver.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was browsing r/c bodies at a local Hobbytown USA, and came across this Mustang being sold by Firebrand RC.

RC Car Wheels | RC Car Accessories and Parts | Firebrand RC

It appears to be the same body as the Pegasus Hobbies mustang that is USVTA legal. It is possible that Firebrand bought/licensed the mold and this is in fact the same body? Or maybe the bought a bunch of old stock and added their own labels?

Not sure I would buy one for the price, but thought I would share this info in case someone was fond of the Pegasus Mustang body.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flyingm
After a full Summer of racing the VTA class, it's time for a new body and paint....
Niiiiiice!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:11 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

After a full Summer of racing the VTA class, it's time for a new body and paint....
Gary, can I just have you send pre-painted bodies from now on? Looks great!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
This is as close as you can get to the Parnelli Jones Boss Mustang with the HPI body/stock decals. The upper hood decals were not complete on this one. I airbrushed this one a few years ago.

Hey Indy - looking to paint a similar car, would you remember the paint / color you used on this one?

Thanks

Bruce
Old 11-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by belewis01
Hey Indy - looking to paint a similar car, would you remember the paint / color you used on this one?

Thanks

Bruce
Bruce I mixed my own as I recall. It's kind of a Piper Cub yellow if you are familiar with that classic airplane. Yellow with some orange to warm it up. Might have added some white to lighten. All Parma Faskolor paint.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Bruce I mixed my own as I recall. It's kind of a Piper Cub yellow if you are familiar with that classic airplane. Yellow with some orange to warm it up. Might have added some white to lighten. All Parma Faskolor paint.
Thanks for the tips..... interesting story - did some research, the real color used was Dodge school bus yellow. Marketing thought the Ford colors didn't stand out so they sent a guy to the paint store for the brightest yellow / orange they could find.

Wicked Colors ( Golden yellow ) and Auto Air ( Chrome Yellow ) look pretty close so I'll order some and shoot some samples.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01

Thanks

Bruce
Like the paint!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Nice look!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CSeils
My McAllister 71' Cuda on an Associated TC3 with custom decals.
Proper scheme there!
Old 12-01-2017, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

Same Boss Mustang body in blue. I don't know how historically accurate the color is but I like this color.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_3236.jpg  
Old 12-01-2017, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Same Boss Mustang body in blue. I don't know how historically accurate the color is but I like this color.

Very nice!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Where is the best place to buy McAllister bodies from?
Old 12-02-2017, 05:39 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If you don't have a local shop that carries them, then go direct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.