Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Hey .crispy-
Thanks for your support, glad you are happy with our product.

For everybody else....when racers give a report on our bodies, you can count on it being honest. We have no team racers, so you get a real racer's point of view. Also since we do little advertising and have no team racers, we pass on the savings to our Dealers and customers with good pricing as well. And don't forget, all of our product is 100% made in the U.S.A. Seems like Vintage Trans Am should be.

Thanks
Gary McAllister
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

+1 on what Gary said. It's great to be able to call and order direct from the manufacturer (at 2/3 the cost of many current bodies), talk directly to the manufacturer, and share ideas directly with the manufacturer. I like other manufacturers' stuff as well, but Gary is "old school" and I love my Firebirds. I have his Camaro and Cougar bodies that I will be running as soon as my Firebird is too ragged to race.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm a FORD Guy - Love the McAllister Mustang VTA Body - but on the bigger track at CAL RACEWAY (In So-Cal) I switched from the Blue Oval to the Firebird - and OMG did that thing turn so much better.

We're going to the "TOYs for TOTs" race at Cal this weekend - and will have a CAMARO, a COUGAR and a FIREBIRD. Not sure it there will be time to practice and get a feel for which will be best...but I can say - they are ALL going to look good!!!

Hey Scott - to go along w/ your BLACK BIRD - I'm doing a WHITE BIRD for this race for my son.(images coming later)
Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

My next body with be a McAllister body, but I'm not sure which one. I'd love to see more pictures and more feedback on them!
Old 12-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

I've posted this one before. Spaxstix candy yellow backed by Spaxstix chrome backed by Spaxstix black. Paint didn't stick.

I had Protoform decals left over so I used them here.

This one is Tamiya translucent yellow backed by Pactra Inca gold backed by white. Paint did stick.

This one is Tamiya translucent yellow backed by Pactra Pearl white to give me a metallic yellow look. Ran this one on a TT-01.

I told you I liked these McAllister bodies...

I've got a Protoform Firebird as well. I can run my Spec-R with one of the McAllister bodies, bring it in, swap out the shell to the Protoform, go back out and the car is all twitchy and unpredictable. I don't know, but I suspect the weight balance front to back is way different. The Protoform has that two piece nose. But then again, the hood is so long that the greenhouse is way far back... I don't know. I just know that I can't drive the car for crap with the Protoform on there.

Last edited by .crispy; 12-09-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:14 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

I've noticed that the side windiws on the McAllister Firebird and smaller than the wind I ws on the McAllister Camaro. Does the Firebird have a lower roof, taller shoulder/hood, or maybe both? The Firebird looks to have a nearly vertical rear panel. The Camaro is angled.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

that gold firebird looks familiar I wonder where i've seen that before

i wonder if that's where my javelin got some gold stripes from
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here's my son's new "WHITE LIGHTNING" Firebird for this weekends TOYS for TOTS race at Cal Raceway in So Cal.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The McAllister Trans Am is my favorite VTA body right now. I've had an HPI Camaro, Cuda, and Mustang prior to it. When it is done I will try the McAllister Camaro. The Flying M makes some nice strong bodies. With the TA on a TC6.1 I was able to get the nose of the body right up against the bumper with a little added foam to the bumper. The front is solid right now and I don't see damaging it any time soon.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

The McAllister Trans Am is our favorite VTA body as well. One-piece is nice, handling is nice, but you guys keep forgetting to mention the SIDE PIPES! They are ultra cool! Thanks for the time/effort you put into these Gary.

I'm starting this one over the weekend for my son. How am I doing so far? lol.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

A couple other McAllister Trans Am bodies I've done with the phoenix on the hood:

Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

If I'm being picky, what I'd really like to see him add is a mark in the perfect center of the circle of the wheel wells. I like perfectly circular wheel wells (or partial) so I can use my circle cutter.

That weirdly shaped wheel well on the J71 always gives me fits.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Go ahead and send Gary your car so he can get exact measurements of the wheel base for the cut-outs. Then the rest if us with different wheel bases will have funky mold seem lines on the bodies. (All said very sarcastically)

I like perfect wheel wells too, but every car and body match up is different. I paint my bodies before I cut them so my process is a little different. I cut them small, then trim little by little to get them where I want them.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

The mold lines on the wheel well work fine for me. Once I get the chassis centered properly. I just have a hard time finding the center.

I can do it by adjusting and re-adjusting my circle cutter and trying to make sure the top and two sides touch the blade part.

I just meant marking the center of the half circle that is already molded in. HPI does it.

Now if I was asking for body post hole marks, that's a different story...
Old 12-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
The McAllister Trans Am is my favorite VTA body right now. I've had an HPI Camaro, Cuda, and Mustang prior to it. When it is done I will try the McAllister Camaro. The Flying M makes some nice strong bodies. With the TA on a TC6.1 I was able to get the nose of the body right up against the bumper with a little added foam to the bumper. The front is solid right now and I don't see damaging it any time soon.

I rely like TA's too! Getting the McAllister TA to replace my TA Protoform. Does the McAllister come with a Screaming Chicken decal?
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.