Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by alloyslash
Indy, what color did you back the KeyLime with? It's really popping ! Great color
I put some neon green behind it and then a coat of white. It does pop!

The QC must be pretty bad at the Faskolor factory. I've found some major shade differences in Key Line from one bottle to another. That bottle started off in a great shade.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you look at the HPI 68 Camaro, it has a very different look to it in my opinion, than the 69. The rear quarter panels come further away from the canopy. I think it looks better than real.
The Protoform Firebird has extended fenders to allow the center of the body to get closer to scale. None of those shells are truly scale. It's just not possible when it all has to fit the same chassis.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

The guy I airbrushed this Vaterra Camaro for sent me these photos. I posted some when I was finished with my part of the project. Now, he's mounted the body, added bumpers, mirrors, etc and he did a great job of finding matching sponsor decals. I think the finished car looks great. The body is 190mm and NOT USVTA approved, but he said where he is racing several guys have all gone with the Vaterra Chassis to make kind of an IROC class.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vaterracamaromatchup.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm really liking the inverted color scheme on the meatballs. Although very basic, the car looks great and it fits the VTA era cars well IMO. Great job!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys I need to redo my paint job. I have never stripped paint off a r/c body before but I have read a lot of articles. I have a gallon of nitro fuel left over from my nitro buggy. Should I use it or should I go buy a bottle of dot 4 or I also heard graffiti remover works. Has anyone of you fine painters done this before?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rescue119
Hey guys I need to redo my paint job. I have never stripped paint off a r/c body before but I have read a lot of articles. I have a gallon of nitro fuel left over from my nitro buggy. Should I use it or should I go buy a bottle of dot 4 or I also heard graffiti remover works. Has anyone of you fine painters done this before?
It is not worth the effort to try stripping off the old paint.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ya but to get a new body I would have to wait 2 weeks and after shipping it's about 40-45 dollar body.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Don't waste your time trying to strip your body.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

I've had really good luck using Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner if you are using Faskolor. If another brand, you will have to test it.

Spray it. Wrap it with saran wrap for a while so it won't dry out and put it out in the garage for an hour. It doesn't hurt lexan. Then, rinse it and spray again if needed. A toothbrush will help you get the loose paint out of the corners.

I'm with you on the expensive body and sometimes they can be hard to get or you goof one up. I've used the above method a couple of times. The body below was one that was thrown in a trash can because the guy messed up his paint. Some of it was Faskolor, some Tamiya. I used the oven cleaner and it was crystal clear again with a couple applications. Not that hard to do.

MAKE SURE AND WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND HAVE VENTILATION! The oven cleaner is aggressive stuff. Follow the directions on the can.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaromccreary-009r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-easyoffovencleaner.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
The guy I airbrushed this Vaterra Camaro for sent me these photos. I posted some when I was finished with my part of the project. Now, he's mounted the body, added bumpers, mirrors, etc and he did a great job of finding matching sponsor decals. I think the finished car looks great. The body is 190mm and NOT USVTA approved, but he said where he is racing several guys have all gone with the Vaterra Chassis to make kind of an IROC class.

After seeing that you made the VTA wheels fit under there I think we should request that maybe Robk put this shell on the list. In this picture it looks like perfect VTA glory. I always thought it wasn't on the list because it wouldn't fit on a 190mm chassis with VTA tires and rims, but now that we know it can work.

Edit: Those mirrors will get peeled off in a race. Until then this shell is gorgeous.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thought I'd share Mike Jennings Concours cars for this weekends Asphalt Challenge race at the Gilbert AZ HobbyTown -

Mike use to flag for the SCCA Trans Am Series - and ALWAYS has great looking VTA cars.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
After seeing that you made the VTA wheels fit under there I think we should request that maybe Robk put this shell on the list. In this picture it looks like perfect VTA glory. I always thought it wasn't on the list because it wouldn't fit on a 190mm chassis with VTA tires and rims, but now that we know it can work.

Edit: Those mirrors will get peeled off in a race. Until then this shell is gorgeous.
Not sure about the wheels, though. Kinda looks like fronts are also mounted on the rears in those pics. I suspect rears wouldn't fit?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by snoopyrc

I am the owner of this Camaro. The tires and wheels are the VTA required sizes. 26mm fronts and 31mm. rears. The body does fit an Associated chassis but they come pre punched for the Vaterra chassis. Vaterra is a break off of Losi. We decided on this setup due to Associated not being supported in this area. The mirrors have lasted through 6 races with up to 8 cars per race.

Last edited by blitteer; 02-15-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: additions
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Very cool! The body looks to be a good addition to the class if you ask me. But no one asked me! LOL!
Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Here is my Protoform J71 body to add to the mix. I looked at a lot of Trans Am Javelins to come up with the scheme. I new I wanted to run blue and black just wasn't sure of how to stripe it. Ended up basing it on this scheme.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.