Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Help

I painted my first body using liquid mask and had a problem. I had two areas close together that I trimmed so they could be painted (the headlights an radiator on the front of my Audi R8). When I peeled off the masking, the masking in between to two areas lifted up too so the orange between the two (see picture) was supposed to be white. What did I do wrong and what can I do better next time?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-audi-web-2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I use 3 thick coats of mask and a new blade every time. How many coats did you use? Seems to me the thicker the mask is, the thinner the areas that can be cut are.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some cars at Thunder RC
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_0795.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_0812.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-20140209_114122.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-20140209_114113.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-hallmustang.jpeg  

Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alloyslash
I use 3 thick coats of mask and a new blade every time. How many coats did you use? Seems to me the thicker the mask is, the thinner the areas that can be cut are.
3 thick coats. I was actally thinking it was too thick. But then I did use the blade for some other things so it may not have been as sharp as new.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
3 thick coats. I was actally thinking it was too thick. But then I did use the blade for some other things so it may not have been as sharp as new.
I have always brushed on 3 coats of LFM, each in a different direction to get maximum coverage with no thin spots (hopefully). I use the #11 Xacto blades with the gold tint on the cutting surface as they seem to last the longest. I always use a fresh blade when starting a new body and have always had good luck, but thats just what has worked for me. I also try to lay the blade down at the most angle possible instead of straight up n down which helps with the cutting and also with maintaining a straight line, again its what works for me.

Hopefully others with more experience will chime in also
Old 02-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

http://www.historictransam.com/Cars.html
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

CougarDartFalcon, CougarDartFalcon, CougarDartFalcon.............If I keep chanting it, maybe someone will make them.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

I have been told by a good source that the Cougar is difficult to get to look right on TC dimensions. That would explain why there isn't one yet.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I have been told by a good source that the Cougar is difficult to get to look right on TC dimensions. That would explain why there isn't one yet.
That would be one narrow track, long wheelbase car.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wasn't the wheelbase only a few inches longer than the Mustang? Seems to be that would be easy to work around....might even give it better proportions.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

I don't make body molds so I can't say what is particularly difficult about it, but I don't think the with and length are the issue. Those dimensions are similar to the Mustang. Maybe it's the shape of the grill. Maybe it's the change in width, with the rear being 10mm wider than the front. I'm not sure, but I hear that out of the remaining VTA shells that have not been created, the Cougar is the more challenging. I do not know what feature is particularly difficult to model.

I look at the features on shells and it's interesting how different the quality is between brands. I think maybe Pegasus is the worst. The 70 SS is too wide. The side skirts hang to low. I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with the grill, and it webs really bad at the front corners. I see all of it's faults, but at the same time I can't carve out a mold, or if I did it would probably make the Pegasus look like a Tamiya shell.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ah, I hear ya.... Personally, the Cougar would likely be my last preference. It's just too close to the Mustang yet we've got so many other cool cars that could be manufactured that would be truly unique!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Champion

I would like to see them all made. I wonder about the ones with noses so short that you can't fit the TC bumper under there, or tail ends that are so long that you end up with all that lexan unsupported. In the end its about licensing and the trouble to make the mold.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If I'm not mistaken the wheel base of a Cougar vs a Mustang (in the VTA year range) was 3 inches different (108 vs 111) so in "our" terms, we're only talking .36 inches and most of the time we aren't "THAT" scale anyway.

I was working on some cougar decals a while back - hoping I could fit them on SOMETHING - sadly all I was able to save was a .jpg file - my vector got lost in a computer crash.

I've sent 2-3 variations of a early 70's style camaro decal to the vinyl printer - hopefully I can MAKE this thing fit on the McAllister IROC Camaro - even if it's not perfect -

Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The very Camaro-esque (69?) Firebird seems like it would be an easier project than most. A seperate nose, a la Protoform, and a set of taillight decals, a la SW Tour, seem like they would do the trick. Like Snoopyrc said, I can't make a mold (either) and my efforts would make the Pegasus look like a Tamiya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.