Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Had a friend use it, against my advice, on a 66 mustang. Threw the body out after two races because it had flaked so much.

If the paint is hot enough to craze the surface and actually stick then you run the risk of damaging the lexan. This can cause the finish to appear fuzzy or even dull in severe cases. Lacquer does not like to stick to smooth surfaces so unless you prime the surface or sand it to give it some bite the paint will flake. It would be a risk to use laquer paint on a rc lexan body. Maybe you will get lucky but chances are your project will end up ruined.

All we used back in the day was Testors/Pactra lacquer paint with no problems at all , whether we used scotch brite on the bodies or not .
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This is not a USVTA legal body. Forgive the long body posts as I was test fitting for another individual.

HPI 1978 Pontiac Firebird "Bandit"
Paint: Tamiya PS-5 Black
Wheels: HPI Vintage 8-spoke black (26mm front/31mm rear)
Chassis: Associated TC4 Club Racer
Notes: This is a 1-piece body with add-on lexan rear spoiler. HPI includes light buckets. All detail of body pictured is from included decals. Take your time applying all decals. Use plenty of soapy water (or Windex) when applying the window tint decals. Make sure to work out any air bubbles.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-hpi-78-firebird-bandit-lf-640x480-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-hpi-78-firebird-bandit-nose-640x480-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-hpi-78-firebird-bandit-tail-640x480-.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-hpi-78-firebird-bandit-top-640x480-.jpg  

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 06-14-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You have the right audience. Legal or not we are the peeps who would appreciate that.

I was thinking about running one as a USGT car.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry DP.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
You have the right audience. Legal or not we are the peeps who would appreciate that.
+1!

Maybe if you actually put Bandit and Frog in there, then it would be VTA legal since it had drivers?

Can't we make one little bitty exception to the rules?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
+1!

Maybe if you actually put Bandit and Frog in there, then it would be VTA legal since it had drivers?

Can't we make one little bitty exception to the rules?

Not saying a word lol...but Ive got 2 of them and they will be the OFFICIAL Pace Cars for the 2012 US VTA Southern Nationals in Music City, USA in Sept
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Not saying a word lol...but Ive got 2 of them and they will be the OFFICIAL Pace Cars for the 2012 US VTA Southern Nationals in Music City, USA in Sept
That's awesome! Now there are 2 Pontiac Trans Am official Pace Cars for VTA. The pace car we are using here at Mike's Hobby Shop is a 1972 Pontiac TA originally made by Nikko.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had a friend use it, against my advice, on a 66 mustang. Threw the body out after two races because it had flaked so much.

If the paint is hot enough to craze the surface and actually stick then you run the risk of damaging the lexan. This can cause the finish to appear fuzzy or even dull in severe cases. Lacquer does not like to stick to smooth surfaces so unless you prime the surface or sand it to give it some bite the paint will flake. It would be a risk to use laquer paint on a rc lexan body. Maybe you will get lucky but chances are your project will end up ruined.
All I use is lacquer on all my bodies never had any problem with crazing and I have been painting for years
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
I thought I'd start a PIC thread for all the cool TA paint.

Please limit comments and stay on topic, pics & paint. Links to paint ideals, real TA racing sites ok.

POST'EM UP Fellas! or repost if you had posted in the other TA thread.

ENJOY! the Vintage paint.

NEW! The unofficial, Official USTVA Pace Car!

My TC4, 68 HPI Camaro. Sorry for my poor quality pics but all I got at this time. I'm ready to paint another one!

dont forget I started this thread...lol
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
All I use is lacquer on all my bodies never had any problem with crazing and I have been painting for years
Looks like I am being proven wrong. I have never had good luck with lacquer on rc bodies and I have never had any luck with bare metal on full size cars. I guess with my technique I really need a nice primer coat. I have recently switched to urethane primer for a 1962 c10 I am doing right now. I love the high build and it is very easy to sand. Can't wait to try it out on a 1963 corvette we just started sanding. Glad the lacquer seems to work for you but for me it doesn't do well at all. Never really liked shooting it. If you have any tips for lacquer on lexan I would love to hear them. I would like to try it out.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Chuck Norris...lol
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-250823_10150958942784660_803753884_n.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-532714_10150958944299660_1807401799_n.jpg  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Chuck Norris...lol
What about the unicorn horns, vampire fangs and werewolf spines? You need to acknowledge all your sponsors
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

lol....Dirla posted it up at the track and its running wild....this body belongs to Team Road Block/ABM, they are running the Protoform J71, for the .....

Thunder RC/Darkside Presents
Thunder Quarter24
OFFICIAL US VTA ENDURO

Sunday June 24, 2012

Thunder RC Raceway
810 Cherokee Ave
Nashville,TN 37206
615-851-1876

track opens: 8am
concourse: 11am
driver meeting:11:30pm
qualifiers:12 noon

RULES:
FULL US VTA Rules...this is an Official event
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html
tires must show tread at the beginning of qualifiers
3 members per team with 1-3 cars to use
teams must run the same body or similar paint scheme
teams must keep a marshall on the track at all times
only one car on the track at once unless you are in pit lane

TECH:
all cars will be tech before entering pit lane
once you enter pit lane , you can NOT remove your car
if you have to remove your car you will have to go back to tech
tech will also be done at random in the pits

QUALS:
One team member will run qual
they will have 1 min on the open track to try and set Team TQ
the Team TQ will have 1st choice of either:
a.pit lane position
b.marshall positon
c.drivers stand position
after Team TQ picks, 2nd best team gets pick and so on, till all the spots are filled

Numbers will be drawn once your team arrives at the track that are assign to a pit table

RACING:
all team members must put in track time
lap pentalies will be given for rough driving
1st team with a 1500 laps wins

ENTRY:
13 teams max
$60 per team
FREE body for teams sign up before May 31st

MONEY,TROPHIES,PRIZES:
1st place team wins cash and trophy
2nd place team wins trophy
3rd place team wins trophy
50% cash payback for winning team
Trophy 1st-3rd

concourse will be judged on vote, your team cars will voted on as a whole

SPONSORS:
Team Novak
Boca Bearings
KRC
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks like I am being proven wrong. I have never had good luck with lacquer on rc bodies and I have never had any luck with bare metal on full size cars. I guess with my technique I really need a nice primer coat. I have recently switched to urethane primer for a 1962 c10 I am doing right now. I love the high build and it is very easy to sand. Can't wait to try it out on a 1963 corvette we just started sanding. Glad the lacquer seems to work for you but for me it doesn't do well at all. Never really liked shooting it. If you have any tips for lacquer on lexan I would love to hear them. I would like to try it out.
The only way I ever got lacquer to not flake off a lexan lexan body was by spraying the inside of the body with clear krylon first so the lacquer would tack to the body. Then a final coat of krylon again after it was done.

Another alternative to finding paints, is using the water base paints that you can get at the crafts stores, for the ceramic ornaments, they have racks of different colours and usually have them on sale for .99 cents a bottle. They work the same as the Parma paints.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Arent the Pactra and Tamiya PS paints lacquer based paints? Are they not made for lexan? I really can't say whats up with some people having no problem at all, myself included, while others have adhesion failures, or cracking or flaking. I trim/wash/mask and spray. Most of the time I do not scuff. No issues. And I'm not that great of a driver so as it turns out its pretty durable too.

As far as the craft store paint goes, Createx colors and Createx Wicked air or Auto air goes on much like Parma Faskolor. In fact Createx helped them make the formulas for their paints. I can not vouch for any other craft store paint, but if it will stick and is flexible then you might do pretty well with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.