Your Custom Paintjobs

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Looks good. Is the lettering painted?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Looks good Schmitty! I like the realism of the design and it came out clean!

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

the letters are vinyl stickers, I always try to use flour. orange on all my bodies so they go with the scheme. If anyone wants to give me advice on drop shadowing it would be so appreciated. My brush setup is a paasche millineum and I run it off a 30 gallon floor compressor set at 50 psi. I want to stick with faskolor paint because it is readily available at my LHS. I tried shadowing but it came out like this............

what did I do wrong and how do I get those ultra fine lines like the good painters get?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Schmitty, drop shadows are something that takes practice and a serious amount of discipline.
The problem is mostly in two areas, once you have good brush control. Most want to see them very well before backing them, since we paint backwards it is difficult to judge how much is enough. A good rule of thumb is once you can see them at all, usually one or two light coats, they are perfect. If they stand out while spraying them, they will be very dark.
For material/color most use window tint paint if available, or transparent black(Auto Air), or very thin black if you use Pactra.

Just remember when painting shadows....On real shadows you can always see the color thru them that they are lying on.

Hope this helps!

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Schmitty
If anyone wants to give me advice on drop shadowing it would be so appreciated. My brush setup is a paasche millineum and I run it off a 30 gallon floor compressor set at 50 psi. I want to stick with faskolor paint because it is readily available at my LHS.
what did I do wrong and how do I get those ultra fine lines like the good painters get?
Great sdvice from Jim, I'll add that drop shadows are done eith dagger strokes. Lots of practice with dagger strokes is the key to getting killer looking drop shadows. I cannot comment on the brush your using as I have not used it, but at 50psi I find that the air is pushing the paint around alot so you might play around with less pressure.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Solid, lol, Thanks! Are you from Canada I think? OR is it Australia?

...Jim
W.E.D.
lol, I'm from the Netherlands. You know, the small country near the UK .

Schmitty; as far as drop shadows go, I often use the window tint from Faskolor because regular black is very hard to do light shadows with.

Last edited by SOLID GRAPHICS; 08-16-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

If you tape a white piece of copy paper to the outside of the body you'll see exactly what they look like as you spray. I would practice on spare plastic pieces by using the window tint and turning the pressure way down and getting the tip of the brush really close to the plastic and have a white background under the plastic as you spray.
regards
caci
Old 08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Solid, ok, sorry, . I have seen you use the term Mate a few times, so it threw me, haha.

We'll need to see a killer Netherlands flag paintjob from you then!

Good addition Chris!
The dagger stroke is also important, since it lets the
shadow fade away for more realism. This is a stroke that is more difficult in R/C, since we are working in very confined areas in for example an offroad buggy body. It means to stroke the brush in the direction of the intended shadow, while lessening the paint material being sprayed as you near the end of the stroke. Kind of like this .... ))}}]]>>>====------
If that makes sense?

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

thanks for the tips guys. if you had $80-$100 to spend on an airbrush, which one would you get? I thought about the iwata revolution gravity feed. the are $70 from dixieart.com
Old 08-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Schmitty
thanks for the tips guys. if you had $80-$100 to spend on an airbrush, which one would you get? I thought about the iwata revolution gravity feed. the are $70 from dixieart.com
I would go with the HP-CR at www.coastairbrush.com for general spraying. It is $68 with free shipping there. You would need something with a smaller nozzle to do good drop shadows. My HP-CR's are great just the .5mm nozzle kind of limits the fineness of my spray pattern. I imagine that in capable hands the HP-CR would be fine.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

I have been in Love with my Iwata since I got my first one!
I was using a Badger 150, but after getting a brand new one(my third) with bad threads right out of the box and finding out they can't send parts, so I had to mail it in and be without it for a few weeks. Well, unfortunately for Badger, it gave me time to try something else and it was an Iwata Eclipse CS and this thing is AWESOME!

The 150 is down to metal flake duty with a large tip set up and the Iwata sees all of the detail work. It is no contest.

The Revolution is a great brush as well and really all you need for most RC projects.

I have heard good things about Paasche as well.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default New to airbrushing

Here are my first two post worthy bodies. <<My opinion.
I painted them this last week with FasKolor and a Eclipse brush. Comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
e
Attached Thumbnails Your Custom Paintjobs-car1.jpg   Your Custom Paintjobs-car1.2.jpg   Your Custom Paintjobs-car2.jpg   Your Custom Paintjobs-car2.2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What pressure are you guys running in the eclipse hpcs for drop shaddows? Dagger strokes?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by denver
Here are my first two post worthy bodies. <<My opinion.
I painted them this last week with FasKolor and a Eclipse brush. Comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks
e

Sleek, simple, elegant, and just plain old badass dude, nice work there. You nailed the colors and its cleaner than 5 star resturant.

Next you gotta do some headlights, then it will be complete.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Chuck, the rule I use is, for more detail, lower air pressure and thinner paint.

I use about 12-15 psi for shadowing, with black thinned much more then normal, about 30/70.

Hope this helps!

...Jim
W.E.D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.