Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree454Likes

Your Custom Paintjobs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Pearls

Geppetto watch those pearls, I find they are the hardest paint to use because I tend to put them on a bit heavy and you can really tell unlike with opague paints.

Anywhere east of Hagerstown in MD doesnt have winter IMHO, we should be racing outside year round.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

patcollins: Figures , my first real attempt at painting with an airbrush and I select a difficult paint. That's OK though: that means the next time paint, it will be easier.

I don't know about racing during our Maryland "winter". I could handle setup and getting around the track, but wrenching on my car at my pit table in 32 degree weather would be tough. One thing for sure, I wouldn't need to use my table umbrella.
Old 02-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Gepetto-60-70 deg? man, here in Cali, it hit 44 Deg last night! another thing about the pearls, is that if it is the last color you put on, you really do not need to completely cover teh body...it can me a little translucent when you look at the paint from inside the body. from the outside, you can't tell that it is not fully covered. in otherwords, you do not have to back it with another color like silver or white.

Flyer..yes you can
Old 02-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

20 degrees last night here, or close.

charlie, I find that with 40psi, you can spray lines and get no overspray (not on the outside, but on the area next to your line) but it is very, very finicky and extremely hard to get the trigger setting right and keep it there. At 20psi it is much easier to paint, but you get alot more overspray. When I am spraying, I find that the pulling back (paint) action on the brush is easy enough, but pushing down on the air is extremely hard! Especially since at 40psi you only need to push it down about 1mm (is that about right?). Is it just practice to get it right, should the pushing-down action be smoother?

Thanks,
Speedo
Old 02-01-2002, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default hiding mistakes with Pearls

Just thought I would put a tip up for pearls and translucents. If you spray them too thick and you see runs through them they will look like crap. But the perfect way to hide this is to back them up with a very dark color.

I got way too much blue pearl on my body(my first airbrush job) and it looked like hell. I had planed on backing it with silver but that would have made the runs show really badly. I thought and thought can I use thinner and take the paint off? Man this looks like crap what can I do. I backed it with Black and got this really cool looking midnight blue color. It wasnt what I was going for at the start but it saved a body that otherwise would have looked horrible. I even got some comments on the nice paint job LOL.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Speedo-for pushing down the trigger..it Always has to be pressed all teh way down! remember, you always want maximum airpressure. If 20 psi works for you...that's all that matters. As long as you are getting teh results you need...go for it and go ALL OUT!

Pat--great tip..i think i am gonna go a step further. try this.
while the pearl paint is still wet, get saran-wrap and lay it on the wet part. crease parts of the saran wrap and make sure it is random. peel the saran wrap and wait for it to dry. the part where the saran wrap touched the paint should have removed some paint and the rest should have remained on the body. teh paint should have left marbleized patterns on the body. back the body with any color of choice,....see what comes out! It should have a cool marble effect!

Last edited by charlie_b; 02-01-2002 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Even at 20psi, I have to push the air down only half way! At 40 psi if I did that the spray pattern would be really wide!

What airbrushes do you use? I am using an iwata HP-CS...It must be different than what most people use, or am I doing some thing wrong?

Thanks,
Speedo
Old 02-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Nevermind, I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I can push the air all the way down, and it is much easier! Thanks!

Speedo
Old 02-01-2002, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Cool..happy painting!
Old 02-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Hey guys...have you been curius of what the other painters have in their arsenal? Post the pix and description here!
I'll start!
Airbrushes: Iwata Eclipse for base coats
Iwata HPC for semi-fine detail
Iwata RG-2 for big areas and clear coating
Iwata Revolution for Spectrum 2000(multi color dispensor)

Tamiya Superfine.'Nuff said.

Tape: #4075 8" application tape
#75 6" application tape

Accessories: metal 18" ruler
sure grip X-Acto knife
mechanic pick
Kapco squeegi
Coast Airbrush Cap
Heavy Duty scissors
*Specialty Item: Spectrum 2000 no more changing paints and cleaning color cups! holds 8 colors and one cleaner!
Old 02-02-2002, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Charlie where did you get that Spectrum thingie??? I gotta have one.
IKE
Old 02-02-2002, 03:50 AM
Tech Adept

Charlie that saran wrap idea is genious, Ive been wondering how finishes like that came about.

All I have to say about your body painting supplies is WOW
Old 02-02-2002, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Charlie_B,
Where did you buy the X-Acto knife.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Hey charlie,

where did you get that application tape? is that for masking? so you basically draw the pattern first on the tape than just stick it inside like stickers?
Old 02-02-2002, 08:15 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Everyone,

I'll be messing with some of the Alclad Chrome paint later today, and i'll be sure to post some pics when i get the new body finished. This is cool paint, I've seen it in person, but am yet to use it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.