Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Createx and Spaz Stix paint do's and don'ts >

Createx and Spaz Stix paint do's and don'ts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sabin

Createx and Spaz Stix paint do's and don'ts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Createx and Spaz Stix paint do's and don'ts

Okay, its been roughly 10 years or so since I touched my airbrush. I am ready to sling some paint on a few bodies. I have narrowed down the paints I want to use. I have a few bottles of Createx and picked up some Spaz Stix Chrome.

My main question is, what are the do's and don'ts of using these different types of paint? The Spaz Stix chrome will most likely just be some pinstriping outlines/borders on some flames and some outlines/borders on some logos. Will the Spaz Stix Chrome affect the other coats Createx paint already painted? Since the chrome will be just an outline? Would the Createx paint affect the Spaz Stix Chrome if laying a coat over it? If drying time is the main issue, how much drying time is needed for these different types paint before laying the next coat?

Also, back in the day I have used a heat gun to speed up the drying time. I have seen a few vids on youtube stating to not use a heat gun, but use air to assist in drying the paint. Granted it was more from an automotive painter POV. Then most rc car body painters still use the heat gun. Whats the current standard?
Old 04-12-2024, 07:18 AM
Bud
Tech Master

I think I'd try it on a plastic bottle before I painted a body. The createx is water based and the spaz stix is lacquer based. Not sure how they'd effect each other when dry. I've never tried to to use both on one project.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Spaz Stix chrome is a 2 part application. The 2nd part is the Spaz Stix black backer. If you treat the chrome as an ordinary paint, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you can do your chrome last, do it. But in reality, small thin pinstripes don't like to be peeled last (too many edges to get peeled on accident).
Old 04-14-2024, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mixing Createx (water based aliphatic acrylic) and Spaz Stix (lacquer) is a bad idea. Mostly because you have to let the former cure fully before using the latter and vice versa. But if you really want to go for it, you'll have to use an intercoat clear to keep the two types separate.

Probably easier to just use the spaz stix line for the rest of the colors if you want to use their chrome.
Bud likes this.