Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Paint black over inside of Lexan/polycarbonate body? >

Paint black over inside of Lexan/polycarbonate body?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paint black over inside of Lexan/polycarbonate body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Paint black over inside of Lexan/polycarbonate body?

I was about to pull off my window and light masking on a body after I painted it but I realized I had seen some people paint over the inside with black. It's a silver body. Is this worth doing for a race car, or will it just add unnecessary weight without a big improvement?
Old 04-13-2024, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My silver bodies I undercoated with white and my darker bodies I undercoated with silver but that’s just me. If you’re all about saving the grams, skip it.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:20 AM
Tech Initiate

I back individual sections according to best practice from experience.
Silver section, back with black.
Fluorescent section, back with white.

Once a body is completely painted, I back the entire thing with white primer to create a single bonded unit.
Then I back it with black to prevent light bleed. (I'll hold the body up to a light while I'm spraying too). Once you see the difference in vibrancy with no light bleed, you'll never not back with a final black coat.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:38 AM
Bud
Tech Master

It will make your paint look better if you back your colors with black or white but if you're racing the car, remember paint is weight and weight is a racer's enemy, especially up high on the chassis. It's not a whole bunch of weight but it is still weight. Just something to keep in mind.