Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Oval touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Default Oval touring cars

Was wondering why you don't see more of this type of racing. I know the snowbirds did it a few years ago and it looked like they had a good field. I know there 4wd and all but you can still get these things sideways and such. Anyways here is my K&N Style Touring Oval car.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

We used to run them on a dirt oval with late model bodies. 3 wide outta turn 4.....some of the funnest racing I've ever done!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The biggest issue with oval touring cars is the design of the chassis when CARPET RACING.

Without strict rules on chassis modifications, this type of racing can soon turn into a limited must have chassis class.

Many cars have the batteries on the wrong side of the chassis for LTO (Left Turn Only) racing. This puts many of the high end chassis at a disadvantage depending on the rules of the class. I'll be happy to pull out my old stock TC3 and kick the latest/greatest TC on an oval track any day. Of course you could run those cars RTO, but you would be running them against the groove. No telling how that would affect handling.

The other problem is that inevitably someone WILL bring out a dedicated oval touring car if the rules don't prohibit them. Again, I will pull out my old LTO TC3 conversion chassis and put a hurting on the latest/greatest TC.

Now that batteries are lighter, it might not matter as much, but I would still have a chassis that I can put more weight on the left side.
----------

As far as dirt oval racing, there currently are much better off-road based 4wd chassis that can handle a wide variety of track conditions.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Are there any current model touring cars with the battery placement on the left side?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I won the Touring Oval class at the Snowbirds back in 2003 (I think, lol) and I truly loved racing them. I did it using a very modified TC3. Later (maybe 2005), I built a Corally Assassin (nicknamed Ossassin) using the direct drive and installed an AE, 6-cell slider plate so I could move the battery weight position. I had Corally sponsorship at the time, so this worked out well. I didn't win that year but did finish in the A. Those mains were ugly to say the least and required a lot of luck. It was also a 19-turn as well.

Since then I have ran some oval races using VTA cars and rules at events which Mike Boylan put on. Gotta say, those were very fun too!!
Attached Thumbnails Oval touring cars-birds%2520touring%2520oval.jpg   Oval touring cars-ossassin2.jpg  
GrandeGixxer likes this.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Barbwire44 Tamiya makes a TT-02 with the Battery on the left side. I currently have 4 Tamiya TT-01 Chassis with McAllister #228 ASA Milwaukee Latemodel Bodies on them. Then I have NASTRUCK Bodies the Proline ORT Bodies look good on them. I also built a Vintage Modified Coupe body that fits it as well.

I came up with a set of rules to try and Spec. it But I'm sure not too many people would get into it.

Touring Oval Series Late Models.

Chassis: The Following chassis are allowed the Tamiya TT-01, TT-02, Vaterra touring car chassis. No modification are allowed to the chassis unless otherwise stated in these rules. You may make a Battery hold down strap for the TT-01 and TT-02 So that 2 cell Square Lipo packs can be used. Stock damper shocks and no suspension adjustment allowed.

Body: The following Bodies are allowed McAllister #228 Milwaukee ASA Late model body, #272 ASA style Mustang and #273 ASA style Camaro. No other bodies allowed No cutting out the rear of the body. Must be cut to trim lines.

Motor / ESC: You may use the Tamiya ESC that comes with kit or a Sport style ESC that will work with brushed Motors. The HPI 15 turn Firebolt or ARRMA 15 turn Mega motors are allowed. No other motors or systems allowed.

Battery: You may use up to a 5200mah 50c 2cell 7.4v Lipo Battery.

Wheels and Tires: You may use the HPI Stock car rims or the TRAXXAS Kyle Busch Camping World Truck Series Rims. Tamiya touring car slick 21/62 tire.

***Note this is a spec entry level type Series but all are welcome to pick one up and race***.

Now If you want A Pro-Truck Division just replace the body section with the Proline O.R.T. Truck body. Or if you want a K&N Type Series you just add in the NASCAR style bodies.

Last edited by D&D Race; 12-02-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: adjust post
Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The place were running has no rules, basically any touring car is allowed in the oval TC carpet class. I keep scanning through the manufacture pages and looking for a fancy carbon fiber chassis with a left handed battery but not finding anything. I bought an old Xray T1 chassis last year thinking it would work, but unfortunately it was missing so many parts to complete it I abandoned the project after I was told the parts are pricey and the chassis is to outdated and not worth putting the money in.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ASM
I won the Touring Oval class at the Snowbirds back in 2003 (I think, lol) and I truly loved racing them. I did it using a very modified TC3. Later (maybe 2005), I built a Corally Assassin (nicknamed Ossassin) using the direct drive and installed an AE, 6-cell slider plate so I could move the battery weight position. I had Corally sponsorship at the time, so this worked out well. I didn't win that year but did finish in the A. Those mains were ugly to say the least and required a lot of luck. It was also a 19-turn as well.

Since then I have ran some oval races using VTA cars and rules at events which Mike Boylan put on. Gotta say, those were very fun too!!
I have your car! Still have that body in my closet too. It now has one of Tony Moffre's LTO chassis on it.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:15 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gregw
I have your car! Still have that body in my closet too. It now has one of Tony Moffre's LTO chassis on it.
Wow, small world! Wish I still had it lol!! Tony changed everything once he started dedicating real time and effort into it. At first it was just fun and sorta secondary class to play around with. Then he spent a lot of effort testing and it paid off. He was fast in those last years the class was run at the Birds. Once they went to truck bodies I had given it up lol.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I know, pics or it didn't happen. BTW, snowbirds sticker says 2006.
Attached Thumbnails Oval touring cars-img_20161202_184003.jpg  
Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Lol....solid work my friend. Glad it's still in tact!!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Here is My touring oval Car. very fun class to race.
Attached Thumbnails Oval touring cars-tcovall.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 02:01 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Who made that chassis? Very interesting.....
Old 12-20-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Xtreme racing.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Yup, Xtreme racing conversion for the losi jrx-s. Red was preproduction if I remember correctly. Final release was black or silver. Stormer was the only place I ever saw them sold.
Attached Thumbnails Oval touring cars-rps20170101_191127.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.