Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

1/10th pan car

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default I'm still at it!

NICE mug shot there Boomey! LOL I just wanted you all to know I'm still on it And now Thanks to Boomer,Third,Pro,and Mark For all there help I have what I need to make you some bodies that will rock. It is more difficult to guess on the amount of down force that is required on a class of car I was unfamiliar with. I can do all the wind tunnel testing I want but with out a reference point it's a waste of time. I now have something to compare with so now I'm going to make it faster with out loosing it's handling characteristics. As you can see in this picture I found what it was missing!
Attached Thumbnails 1/10th pan car-imga5410.jpg  
Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default TEE HEE

In my last post every thing I said was true except the picture!........ got ya
Old 01-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i am rebuilding my pro10 to race it along with my pro12 and would like some information.

1)What does everyone think of the Parma Mazda rx792 and the Andy's Sauber body?
I like the looks but how do they fare in terms of aerodynamics and durability? Should i go with one of the newer bodies like the Hot Bodies Toyota TS010?

2) Has anybody tried fitting the L2 with the TC3 threaded shock? Does it fit straight in? (no shaft size change, etc)

3) Has anyone tried a diff thrust bearing setup? It was posted sometime in this thread. How long is it before rebuild?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:18 AM

1: I run the Andy's sauber. I like it very much. I did however ad a small rear wing extension to stop the car spinning out in large full throtlle turns. That's in 12turns mod class. I think you will not need that in the stock class. Durability is very good. The lexan it's made of is very durable and tear-resistant. I haven't owned a parma body yet.
The Hot Bodies Toyota has good airodynamics. The durability has been a problem with the ones I've tried. They easily cracked, even without hitting anything, just the vibrations in the car made it crack!
2: I found the stock L2 shock works perfectly, I don't think you'll need any upgrade in that department. Marka should be able to tell us if it fits though.
3:I have done some simple experiments with thrust bearing assemblys. They work very well. The only problem for me is that it is very difficult to find a 1/4inch thrust bearing around here (europe!). If you find a good adress, even stateside tell me, cause I want some! They really make life easier!
On the stock setup you can best clean everything after a day's worth of running the car. Clean everything, and reoil the the outermost bearing in the diff hub. The parts don't wear out very fast that way, but with a good thrust bearing you should be able to run several days without ever looking at it!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'm from Europe too so i have a hard time finding bearings in inches and they are very expensive too. If i do though i will let you know. I have several Tamiya F1s and have been very satisfied with their thrust bearing setup(even though the stock spur gear does not allow for a smooth diff). Imagine i raced one of the F1s for 2 years straight and never bothered with the thrust other than some cleaning and light lube.

It is very hard to find pro10 parts for Asso cars (especially in Europe and especially now where touring cars sem to be the only electric r/c class) so that's why i am looking into parts from other Asso cars like the TC3. I thought about trying the 3 shock rear end but have heard mostly negative opinions (except for this thread)

I will run my pro10 with a 12x2 motor so i might add a spoiler like you did, maybe add a gurney flap like the one on the Protoform speed 12 body i have on my pro12. Depends on how the car performs. Usually i adjust aerodynamics after i am satisifed with shock, chassis and tire setup.

In the Sauber body, did you reinforce it with fiberglass tape? (like in some pro12 bodies?) Especially in the front and the wheel arches. I have also used tape in 1/8 on road, reinforcing the rear part of the body, in the wing because sometimes after a race the body would deform.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally posted by Pro ten Holland

2: I found the stock L2 shock works perfectly, I don't think you'll need any upgrade in that department. Marka should be able to tell us if it fits though.
I also see no need to "upgrade" to any other shock especially since the stock L2 shock has the teflon-coated body but if you do, the TC3 shock will work with a longer rod-end on the ballstud side. i.e., you need one of these instead of one of these.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

What a turnout at SoCal tonight – 17 total Pro10 pan cars on great layout, cleaned and with tons of bite now that Richard is “officially” the SoCal trackmeister.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:02 AM

Mark, do you have a link to that Traxxas bladder you use in your center shock?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

I've been watching for a bit and finally putting my $.02 in... Here in NY there is still no pan car classes anywhere, well except for upstate where the CRC guys live.... Back in the late 80's and early 90's I raced off road when pan cars were popular, mainly because there were no on road tracks here... Now with the TC boom we have a few tracks but still no pan cars.... I'm finding TC's to be expensively frustrating and the cars constantly changing.... Do you guys that get to race the pan cars feel that they'll make a comeback because many feel like I do about the TC's???? It's like we have so surpassed the KISS principle and taken this hobby in a direction it should have never gone....

Since no one else is doing it yet, I've been contemplating picking up a 1/10th pan car and just showing up with it to see if I can recruit any followers.... 12th scale is attracting a lot of people lately so maybe 10th pan will too.... Any idea's on what to get? What bodies will fit????
Old 01-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Pro ten Holland
Mark, do you have a link to that Traxxas bladder you use in your center shock?
Should be 1765 or in other words, these.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Do you guys that get to race the pan cars feel that they'll make a comeback because many feel like I do about the TC's???? It's like we have so surpassed the KISS principle and taken this hobby in a direction it should have never gone....

That’s what we hope for but realistically, without major manufacturer support, we’re not going to see a massive comeback. And no “big-name” company is going to jump on board promoting $150 kits that break parts measured in “how many $4 part per year” instead of “how many $8 A-arms per week.” No mfg. support means no magazine ads which means we don’t even really exist to most of the RC marketplace except at the tracks where the class is either growing or surviving.

They will and are making a limited comeback though amongst those of us that either never left the class or are newer racers that appreciate the KISS concept as you mentioned – the ability to build a whole new pan car kit in the time in takes to rebuild the diffs on some sedans.

I believe a lot of 1/12th scales’ current resurgence is due to unwieldy, unreactive sedans that just don’t run very well on the small carpet tracks that populate much of the country but 1/12th falls short on bumpy tracks and large paved ones. That’s were we can hopefully expand our niche market.

The big thing is simply getting them out on the track – it’s a lot easier to build/create the class when you’re passing the fastest sedans with your stock motor in practice.

FWIW, we have a couple NY-based posters here, "SpeedyTC3" is/was the race director at South Shore Hobby and David Root and son race 1/10th pan cars in what I recall was the Rochester area.

Since no one else is doing it yet, I've been contemplating picking up a 1/10th pan car and just showing up with it to see if I can recruit any followers.... 12th scale is attracting a lot of people lately so maybe 10th pan will too.... Any idea's on what to get? What bodies will fit????
For car kit, what you want is the AE L2 – it’s the simplest, cheapest and most parts supported car on the market today. They can be ordered for $139 here from SoCal. We previously had some slow-ship issues for out of state mail-order buyers with SoCal but the owner is healthy again and they have those in stock all the time (they had 3 kits as of last night). The other option for those kits is Tower but they cost more and are usually sold out. All you really need to get going is the kit, a shock bladder and a body.

The body is where the going gets a bit tough these days. We’re working right now in the prototyping/testing stage with DaHellion on an all-new 1/10th GTP body but until that's ready, choices are limited. The AE Nissan can be ordered easily anytime. The Hot Bodies Toyota handles a bit better but is always on backorder. Other options are more obscure but if you happen to find an "oddball" 1/10th GTP somewhere on the Internet or at a LHS, post what it is here and I'm sure one of us has had some experience with it and can advise.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by MarkA
That’s what we hope for but realistically, without major manufacturer support, we’re not going to see a massive comeback. And no “big-name” company is going to jump on board promoting $150 kits that break parts measured in “how many $4 part per year” instead of “how many $8 A-arms per week.” No mfg. support means no magazine ads which means we don’t even really exist to most of the RC marketplace except at the tracks where the class is either growing or surviving.

They will and are making a limited comeback though amongst those of us that either never left the class or are newer racers that appreciate the KISS concept as you mentioned – the ability to build a whole new pan car kit in the time in takes to rebuild the diffs on some sedans.

I believe a lot of 1/12th scales’ current resurgence is due to unwieldy, unreactive sedans that just don’t run very well on the small carpet tracks that populate much of the country but 1/12th falls short on bumpy tracks and large paved ones. That’s were we can hopefully expand our niche market.

The big thing is simply getting them out on the track – it’s a lot easier to build/create the class when you’re passing the fastest sedans with your stock motor in practice.

FWIW, we have a couple NY-based posters here, "SpeedyTC3" is/was the race director at South Shore Hobby and David Root and son race 1/10th pan cars in what I recall was the Rochester area.

For car kit, what you want is the AE L2 – it’s the simplest, cheapest and most parts supported car on the market today. They can be ordered for $139 here from SoCal. We previously had some slow-ship issues for out of state mail-order buyers with SoCal but the owner is healthy again and they have those in stock all the time (they had 3 kits as of last night). The other option for those kits is Tower but they cost more and are usually sold out. All you really need to get going is the kit, a shock bladder and a body.

The body is where the going gets a bit tough these days. We’re working right now in the prototyping/testing stage with DaHellion on an all-new 1/10th GTP body but until that's ready, choices are limited. The AE Nissan can be ordered easily anytime. The Hot Bodies Toyota handles a bit better but is always on backorder. Other options are more obscure but if you happen to find an "oddball" 1/10th GTP somewhere on the Internet or at a LHS, post what it is here and I'm sure one of us has had some experience with it and can advise.
wOw
Old 01-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

If South Shore could get a pan class going ti'd give me more incentive to drive the 40 minutes I live from there.... I currently race at Willis Hobbies, it's a very small track and if your car and you'r mind isn't dead on it's real tough to navigate with a 1/10th TC....

I was part of the 4 cell TC arguement in EOR and I can't see running a pig of a TC on 4 cells... Running a Pan Car on 4 cells I can see....

As we all know the cost of maintaining a TC is getting unreal.... It's my firm belief that the manufacturers are intentionally making the cars to break.... Durability just isn't there anymore....

I have my eyes open for a 10L2, maybe I'll head out and meet up with Speedy when I get it....

I have a lot of money in this hobby, I own every scale between 1/24th and 1/5th... I'd rather spend my money on another car/truck than replacing the same stupid C hub over and over....
Old 01-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've been watching for a bit and finally putting my $.02 in... Here in NY there is still no pan car classes anywhere, well except for upstate where the CRC guys live.... Back in the late 80's and early 90's I raced off road when pan cars were popular, mainly because there were no on road tracks here... Now with the TC boom we have a few tracks but still no pan cars.... I'm finding TC's to be expensively frustrating and the cars constantly changing.... Do you guys that get to race the pan cars feel that they'll make a comeback because many feel like I do about the TC's???? It's like we have so surpassed the KISS principle and taken this hobby in a direction it should have never gone....

This is also why I came up with the US Pan Car Championships. I honestly believe in the resurgence of the pan class (BTW Mark a big oorah on getting 17 at SoCal) and so that's why I have been working on this event. We have the backing of a few companies (including Associated) and there is a growing interest in TX (where the race will be held) and some other areas where racers are telling me that they are going to make the trip and maybe bring a couple folks with them. Id like to see a few folks from the Northeast (1/12 or 1/10 to be honest) to kinda round things out.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by MarkA
Should be 1765 or in other words, these.
Thanks Mark, I'll try them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.