Search
Like Tree3Likes

1/10th pan car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: centering heat sink

Originally posted by thirdplace
I don't believe it hurt the handling. Its more a feel thing.
Something I just didn't want to get use to. So I took it off.
Make me an offer. I'm easy. I have all the parts and the
paper work from Neftech. Richard T
Now heres a question for Mark or Richard. Do you think that by installing the left side rear pod upgright evens out the weight in the back a little. Meaning that, is the weight difference enough to even the dive in difference from left to right?
Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: centering heat sink

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter
Now heres a question for Mark or Richard. Do you think that by installing the left side rear pod upgright evens out the weight in the back a little. Meaning that, is the weight difference enough to even the dive in difference from left to right?
You Know? I don't think that my car handles any different from left turns to right turns and if it does I've learned to drive it that way and maybe don't notice. If you watch the way my car was
handling last night witch was really GOOD I'm not going
to change a thing.
I plan to get with MarkA to see if he will help me with a set up
sheet on the set up that I run. To post for anyone that is interested. Witch is totally different then Mark's car. For those of you that don't know. I do not run a three shock car. But it is a tricked out L2
Richard T
Old 02-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree with Richard’s assessment of the cars either not inherently handling any differently left and right or the difference being so slight that it’s not noticeable.

BTW, by left-rear upright do you mean an alum LH bulkhead? If so, those have no effect on handling.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default Mr. Glitch

For those of you that were at SoCal Raceway last night I had nothing but problems when it came to race time. Practice was no problem, even when I was practicing with what seemed like 12 or more racers. At 5:15 I stopped practicing to get ready for the first heat. I removed my Brand New Monster Stock Pro motor, cleaned it, oiled the bushings, and put in one drop of comm drops on each of the brushes. I was practicing on 3 or 4 different frequencies. My equipment is as follows.
Airtronics M-8 radio with Novak Switch. Novak X-Tra receiver, Novak G-7 speed controller, Airtronics 94451 Servo. The G-7 and servo are 3 weeks old.
1st heat - Changed frequency to 87 on receiver and radio. Put car on track. Ran it 5 feet. Got on drivers stand. Nothing would work. Picked car up, motor would run, but not the servo. fiddled around with the wires, it would work then it wouldn't. Tried changing frequencies, and it didn't make a difference. Brought the car to the pits and I got it to work on 90 frequency.
2nd heat - Put car on track. Ran it 5 feet. Got on drivers stand. Same thing. It would work then it wouldn't. Got to the pits. Fiddled with wires on receiver. I could get it to work. Then the Servo wouldn't work but the throttle would. Then it would stop. Fiddled with wires and I could get to work but not consistently. So I thought it was the receiver. I put in a brand new Novak XXL receiver. Used 72 receiver crystal, changed radio frequency. Tried it in pits. It worked. When practice was open before mains I took it out. It seemed to glitch when I first started but I ran 6 laps with no problems.
Main race - Brought the car out. Ran one lap. It was glitching, then it was OK. Place car in back of pack, stopped. It ran forward by itself about 2 feet then I put on the brake then it stopped. Then it started moving and turning slow by itself. Called for trouble on 72. Went back to the rear. Race started. Pulled throttle, nothing, two second pause then it ran. Made it half way around, it started glitching, went around once then it seemed to run away, turned hard left, hit a board hard, and it stopped because the battery wire got pulled out.
Got advice that it might be the speed controller. Changed speed controller for a brand new Novak Cyclone.
After mains, put it on the track, it ran for a few feet, stopped, another run away, popped off a ball cup.
Got advice that it is the Novak Switch. On Monday I am going to put in the original Airtronics Module and try that. If that doesn't work I will try a back up Airtronics MX-3 radio.
Any other ideas? I hope this never happens to you.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, with glitching......always try the easiest stuff first. First thing I would try is the motor, easy to swap and often is the problem.

I would then try the switch, then the radio(make sure the antenna is tight, I remember we used to unscrew them on people as a joke), then the reciever(make sure you have the settings right).

The whole point is to try to eliminate stuff from being the problem, one at a time.....though sometimes, two parts just don't want to work together for some reason...

Later EddieO
Old 02-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Hey guys I was gone over the weekend, but planning for the U.S. Pan Car Championships is now back on in full force!
Old 02-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default You answered your own question

Mr Phoney,

Picked car up, motor would run, but not the servo. fiddled around with the wires, it would work then it wouldn't.
This is your problem. Changing frequencies will not matter as you said it didn't. You have a loose wire or something making a poor connection. check the plugs going into the reicever, and ALL connections on the whole car. You will find it if you haven't already.

David Root
Old 02-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Mr. Glitch

Originally posted by MrPhoney
For those of you that were at SoCal Raceway last night I had nothing but problems when it came to race time. Practice was no problem, even when I was practicing with what seemed like 12 or more racers. At 5:15 I stopped practicing to get ready for the first heat. I removed my Brand New Monster Stock Pro motor, cleaned it, oiled the bushings, and put in one drop of comm drops on each of the brushes. I was practicing on 3 or 4 different frequencies. My equipment is as follows.
Airtronics M-8 radio with Novak Switch. Novak X-Tra receiver, Novak G-7 speed controller, Airtronics 94451 Servo. The G-7 and servo are 3 weeks old.
1st heat - Changed frequency to 87 on receiver and radio. Put car on track. Ran it 5 feet. Got on drivers stand. Nothing would work. Picked car up, motor would run, but not the servo. fiddled around with the wires, it would work then it wouldn't. Tried changing frequencies, and it didn't make a difference. Brought the car to the pits and I got it to work on 90 frequency.
2nd heat - Put car on track. Ran it 5 feet. Got on drivers stand. Same thing. It would work then it wouldn't. Got to the pits. Fiddled with wires on receiver. I could get it to work. Then the Servo wouldn't work but the throttle would. Then it would stop. Fiddled with wires and I could get to work but not consistently. So I thought it was the receiver. I put in a brand new Novak XXL receiver. Used 72 receiver crystal, changed radio frequency. Tried it in pits. It worked. When practice was open before mains I took it out. It seemed to glitch when I first started but I ran 6 laps with no problems.
Main race - Brought the car out. Ran one lap. It was glitching, then it was OK. Place car in back of pack, stopped. It ran forward by itself about 2 feet then I put on the brake then it stopped. Then it started moving and turning slow by itself. Called for trouble on 72. Went back to the rear. Race started. Pulled throttle, nothing, two second pause then it ran. Made it half way around, it started glitching, went around once then it seemed to run away, turned hard left, hit a board hard, and it stopped because the battery wire got pulled out.
Got advice that it might be the speed controller. Changed speed controller for a brand new Novak Cyclone.
After mains, put it on the track, it ran for a few feet, stopped, another run away, popped off a ball cup.
Got advice that it is the Novak Switch. On Monday I am going to put in the original Airtronics Module and try that. If that doesn't work I will try a back up Airtronics MX-3 radio.
Any other ideas? I hope this never happens to you.
You may have to have your M8 checked by Novak... I had a glitching problem when I got the Switch. I sent the whole system in to Novak, and they made small change to the radio and the problem went away.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

I just popped my switch in and it has a worked flawless since......

Later EddieO
Old 02-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Adept

Default More Glitching Questions

How can a motor cause a glitch to the servo? I did clean the motor and that is when I had the problem, but I did check the car at the pit table after I cleaned it and everything worked fine.
Also, I not only checked the cables on the receiver and speed controller but I changed out the receiver and speed controller with Brand New ones.

Tomorrow I will change out the motor, and check the M-8 by changing out the module and use another radio just in case.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

A motor can cause major glitching.....blown out caps, messed up comms, a broken winding(usually on doubles or more), or a hung brush all can cause the radio system to glitch. Its really not the servo glitching in most cases, its usually the reciever glitching and the servo just recieving the glitched signal.

The servo itself could be defective, causing glitching. I had that happen years ago when I got hit pretty hard and the servo wigged out from the impact.

Later EddieO
Old 02-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

Ebay stuff:
Could be of use to someone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44017
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44017
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=34063
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3176977832

Older parts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3177070204
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3177069638

Old Cobra car for the pan car collector (Taz) or for someone to have a beater car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44019

Bodies – they look to be older versions of the AE Nissan and Protoform Peugeot but someone may want them anyway:

They’re baaaaaaaaaaacccckkkk – who needs some rims?

Cheap Jaco Pink donuts for those that mount their own tires:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=44019
Old 02-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: More Glitching Questions

Originally posted by MrPhoney
How can a motor cause a glitch to the servo? I did clean the motor and that is when I had the problem, but I did check the car at the pit table after I cleaned it and everything worked fine.
Also, I not only checked the cables on the receiver and speed controller but I changed out the receiver and speed controller with Brand New ones.

Tomorrow I will change out the motor, and check the M-8 by changing out the module and use another radio just in case.
It happens all the time. It will show up most in Servos, for some reason.

If the built-in capacitors become damaged, that will cause glitching
If the channels didn't get cleaned completely, that can cause glitching
If the brushes aren't seated right, that can cause glitching
etc.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Awesome turnout for pan cars last night guys, it definately re-sparked my interest, and sparked Jon Kerr's interest in them as well. We both agreed that we'd pick up pan cars to run with you guys at SoCal, and sometimes Revelation.

I'm guessing I'll just get a 10L2, but if I could find a Yokomo car at a descent price, I'd go that route (just brand preference)

I picked up a servo for my 1/12 scale car, but I'm wondering if it would work with the 1/10, it's a Futaba S9650 (pretty small servo) but I cant see the pan cars needing much torque to steer.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Randman
Awesome turnout for pan cars last night guys, it definately re-sparked my interest, and sparked Jon Kerr's interest in them as well. We both agreed that we'd pick up pan cars to run with you guys at SoCal, and sometimes Revelation.

I'm guessing I'll just get a 10L2, but if I could find a Yokomo car at a descent price, I'd go that route (just brand preference)

I picked up a servo for my 1/12 scale car, but I'm wondering if it would work with the 1/10, it's a Futaba S9650 (pretty small servo) but I cant see the pan cars needing much torque to steer.
Glad to hear that!

I just checked the specs on that servo and it'll be fine for a 1/10th Pan Car.

For the Yokomo YRX-2000P, you pretty much have to go through Yokomo USA at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.