R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Suspended

Default Porting & Polishing question's

I have been looking into this for about 2 weeks now, I can find all kinds of pictures of polished parts and the reasons why to polish, what it does to the outcome of the performance and everything but no where can I find stock numbers for the dremel bits and procedures to use , basicly I am looking for before & after shots with step by step details, If you know of any links or have done this yourself with positive results please post or pm me with any links/pic's & info you might have.I am also looking for the same info on modding the ports and timing.
Thank you.

Last edited by ntro75; 01-27-2006 at 03:55 PM.
ntro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Tech Master

some info here.. doesnt tell you how to do it but does talk about the tools used.......

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94691
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntro75
I have been looking into this for about 2 weeks now, I can find all kinds of pictures of polished parts and the reasons why to polish, what it does to the outcome of the performance and everything but no where can I find stock numbers for the dremel bits and procedures to use that that best, basicly I am looking for before & after shots with step by step details, If you know of any links or have done this yourself with stellar results please post or pm me with any links/pic's & info you might have.I am also looking for the same info on modding the ports and timing.
Thank you.
polishing the crank looks cool, but i've been told it isn't really effective. the fuel slips and is not carried properly by the spinning action of the crank.

the sleeve polished on the bronze side is a good idea though i think.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
Suspended

onnetz, Thank you for the link man, I actually read that earlier.I have been through ever post that has to do with engine modding.I was hoping for more detailed info on the procedures used today, more of a step-by-step

VenomWorldOrder, Do you remember where you read or who told you that information? It contradicts a bunch of info I have read on various website of engine modders.Not to say Its inncorrect I simply just do not know.Thanks though.

Anybody else have any idea's or have you been through a bunch of modded motors and maybe you noticed differences over 1 type of modd versus another?I really need all the info I can gather on this, thanks people
Old 01-02-2006, 02:29 AM   #5
Tech Elite

one of the engine distributors from australia told me this i think if my memory serves me right. but i also remember a few guys from my trackt elling me this.

not sure myself though, only going of what some tell me.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
Suspended

I am also trying to locate part #'s on dremel attachments that are suitable to do these mod's so if you have done them in the past with succes please let me know what attachments you used by stock number from dremel.Thanks!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to richb3

I was just looking into porting/polishing my engine, and did a quick rifle through my old RC Car Actions. There is quite an extensive write up in the January '05 issue (you can order back issues from them) on porting/polishing and even retiming an HPI S25. Obviously it isn't likely this is your engine, nor is it mine, but it gives good how-to's and details about why/how. As for tools, they don't have part #'s, but what you want is sharp carbide cutting bits, and stone and rubberized grinding bits.
Looks like they were using this tool a lot.
It is from this page, probably a few of these would do good (the bottom set).

The grinding bits would be from here. I'd probably go for 953.

Well, this is probably being posted long after you've found a solution, but oh well. Later
richb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntro75
:

VenomWorldOrder, Do you remember where you read or who told you that information? It contradicts a bunch of info I have read on various website of engine modders.Not to say Its inncorrect I simply just do not know.Thanks though.

Anybody else have any idea's or have you been through a bunch of modded motors and maybe you noticed differences over 1 type of modd versus another?I really need all the info I can gather on this, thanks people
Theres some really good info in the Enginemods thread here.......there also seems to be the opinion that the polishing of the crank/and or sleeve reduces the mixing together of air and fuel, thus holding back on performance. Maybe some of the mod experts in that thread can shed further light on this?
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im not expert in moding engines, but like you guys I have looked on the internet for info and how to's over the past 5 years.. You're not going to find any reputable how to's, the most information I been able to find was by reading certain treads on this and one other forum. Anything that comes from Motorman and EdwardN (formerly TopGun777) is reputable on this forum. On the RCZone the one reputable guy I found goes by the name of Maverick.

That said, you will ahve to read tru a lot of post to learn anything, the most I have found are bits and peices of info where they descrive what some of the modifictions do, but there's a lot more detail that most people dont know about, stuff that you learn by trial and error.

As far as ploshing the engine. What I have read is that you can polish the inside of the crankshaft, and if you're going to put a fuel scoop on the web of the crankshaft, the scoop wont work unless the intake channel and the scoppare polish vey fine. THeone thing you shouldnt polish is the sleeve. The roughness of the sleeve and the cuts on the sleeve help atomize the fuel. Whats meant by atomizing is, the fuel mixture goes from a liquid to a fine mist. The fine mist makes it easier fot the plug to ignite the mixture.

Again, Im no expert.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb3
I was just looking into porting/polishing my engine, and did a quick rifle through my old RC Car Actions. There is quite an extensive write up in the January '05 issue (you can order back issues from them) on porting/polishing and even retiming an HPI S25. Obviously it isn't likely this is your engine, nor is it mine, but it gives good how-to's and details about why/how. As for tools, they don't have part #'s, but what you want is sharp carbide cutting bits, and stone and rubberized grinding bits.
Looks like they were using this tool a lot.
It is from this page, probably a few of these would do good (the bottom set).

The grinding bits would be from here. I'd probably go for 953.

Well, this is probably being posted long after you've found a solution, but oh well. Later
I just got that tungsten bit not too long ago.. it works well but sure does like to grab occasionally, where as the stone bits dont..
Old 01-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
Suspended

thanks for the info guys...great help!!
Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope this pics (diviation analisis is included on last pic, just maximise it) will help to anybody who wants to modify their engines.
Use dimond bits from Dremel, don't use tungsten.
Good luck.
Edward
Attached Thumbnails
Porting & Polishing question's-sleeve12.jpg   Porting & Polishing question's-sleeve12_1.jpg   Porting & Polishing question's-sleeve12_2.jpg   Porting & Polishing question's-sleeve12.3.jpg   Porting & Polishing question's-sleeve12_4.jpg  

DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.

Last edited by EdwardN; 01-29-2006 at 07:37 AM.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
I hope this pics (diviation analisis is included on last pic, just maximise it) will help to anybody who wants to modify their engines.
Use dimond bits from Dremel, don't use tungsten.
Good luck.
Edward
those are very helpful.. thanks..
Old 01-29-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
those are very helpful.. thanks..
You are very welcome. Let me know if you need more pics, I can put some more.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardN
You are very welcome. Let me know if you need more pics, I can put some more.
Edward
after looking at the last image show the min and max angles, how would you go about measureing those?