Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Engine rebuild guide? Cant find one... >

Engine rebuild guide? Cant find one...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine rebuild guide? Cant find one...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thordspeed
agreed 110%.. wouldnt want that coming loose after rebuild..
Many engines fail due to a poorly seated G clip, it's a nasty job at the best of times.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
Key reason for tearing own a Nitro engine is to degum the bearings of castor, general clea, lube and give it a once over for good measure.
the instruction manual for my engine (OS zac project) states that the crankshaft is filled with silicone & not use kerosene etc to clean, only use alcohol or fuel...could i just use my nitro fuel?

what is the best way to clean it as i dont want to remove the bearings? maybe rinse out the block & bearings with fuel & then add a few drops of common 2 stroke oil (lawnmower oil) to the bearings, crankshaft seat, crankshaft pin, conrod bearing & inner sleeve? sorry to ask specific questions...
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marko R1
the instruction manual for my engine (OS zac project) states that the crankshaft is filled with silicone & not use kerosene etc to clean, only use alcohol or fuel...could i just use my nitro fuel?

what is the best way to clean it as i dont want to remove the bearings? maybe rinse out the block & bearings with fuel & then add a few drops of common 2 stroke oil (lawnmower oil) to the bearings, crankshaft seat, crankshaft pin, conrod bearing & inner sleeve? sorry to ask specific questions...
I use Repco's "motortech" brake cleaner (AEROSOL) and give them a burst and flush the bearings, then spin up with the crank, then lube. This brake cleaner hasnt harmed the silcon yet, not sure what the brands are like in your part of the world.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

im based in syd - just under your state

here comes a rookie question...how do the bearings & bottom end stay lubricated?
i assume that the fuel combusts above the piston (per normal) & the oil in the fuel is what dumps into the bottom end via the sleeve ports? that is, if there are oil galleries running the outer sleeve or block...
Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

The fuel cools the block and the oil in it helps lube, no oil galleries.

( I lie, there are tiny ports in the rod and groove in the crank, another sometimes behind the front bearing.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

So there is a port running to the conrod bearing and crankshaft bearings? Makes sense...ive searched google as I like to understand the mechanics of this engine in terms of lubrication but found nothing, hence my question
Old 09-29-2015, 03:05 AM
Tech Adept

I've hit a snag...the head bolts on my OS are rounded...I can only get one of the four bolts out...it's a 2.5mm Allen key. Any ideas on what I can do?

I was thinking that I can heat up the engine with a hairdryer and also file down a 3mm Allen until it is a snug fit?

Also, should I use oil of some sort on the head bolt threads (once I eventually get them out) when I reinstall the bolts? The one that came out felt like it was binding and was very tight.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

cant believe the last owner rounded allen screws... * face palm * hope that starting with a small drill bit... you ll get the head of the screws of... etc...
Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DaRaceMasta
cant believe the last owner rounded allen screws... * face palm * hope that starting with a small drill bit... you ll get the head of the screws of... etc...
tell me about - what a knobjock!
ive read the best way is to drill out the allen key caps - should be fine

is it worth running some type of oil on the thread bolts when i reinstall? i think they are overtightened which is why it is binding - how tight do they need to be lol...
Old 09-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

check this out - the pics are of my IDM Ielasi engine...had this crap in it which discoloured the residue oil like a brown rusty colour & thankfully the oil was silky smooth - had a bit of surface rust on the end of the crankshaft BUT that easily came off with a simple wipe.

why did this happen & how can i prevent it from happening again? FYI, im using Maxima fuel which i run dry when im done, then i'll run the podified after run fuel (only a cap full) & run that dry.

very odd as my OS engine is like new internally...
Attached Thumbnails Engine rebuild guide? Cant find one...-dirty.jpg   Engine rebuild guide? Cant find one...-clean.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Tech Adept

I used a 3mm drill bit & on a slow setting i carefully drilled out the caps (i added wd40 so that i didnt burn out the drill tip) - very easy & you know once the cap came off as you can hear the pop sound

very happy!!!
Attached Thumbnails Engine rebuild guide? Cant find one...-allen.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Marko R1
check this out - the pics are of my IDM Ielasi engine...had this crap in it which discoloured the residue oil like a brown rusty colour & thankfully the oil was silky smooth - had a bit of surface rust on the end of the crankshaft BUT that easily came off with a simple wipe.

why did this happen & how can i prevent it from happening again? FYI, im using Maxima fuel which i run dry when im done, then i'll run the podified after run fuel (only a cap full) & run that dry.

very odd as my OS engine is like new internally...
It is not always rust. If there is a large amount of castor oil in the fuel then it can be some dryed up castor. That almost looks te same as rust.
But yes, rust is possible. The combination of wrong oil (mostly only synthetic), nitro and some moisture in the air or in the fuel can cause rust very easilly,
Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 AM
Tech Adept

what are peoples thoughts on maxima fuel?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Tech Lord

I have seen some damaged engines in one weekend.....
Old 09-30-2015, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

From using maxima fuel?
What is a good brand if this is the case? Now I'm concerned as I have 15ltrs of maxima fuel...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.