Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Engine idle fluctuates when hot >

Engine idle fluctuates when hot

Engine idle fluctuates when hot

Old 09-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=fyrstormer;14185183]I run Spektrum radios.

Good radio. But its not Futaba or Airtronics/Sanwa. Futaba & Airtronics/Sanwa has Speed of Throttle, That will get the bogging disappear. Adjusting the LSN can get the bogging out. See what I mean, The fraction in time you eccelerate, the bog or flatspot cause a lean condition. You want the LSN to be rich for that fraction. When you turn the LSN CW, idle speed will rise, showing you your leaning it out. How many seconds off idle to Idle speed it takes to set idle speed? 5 or more seconds? Too lean if it take that long. I found that the P-0 engine does better when it drop down right away, and slowing down the speed of throttle on my Airtronics M8 radio system. M8 is correct, P-0 out when, ten yrs ago, more or less. All my model, Serpents, Xray, 8th, 10ths & 12th run on M11. Xray NT18 P-0 the only one on the M8, since the class died down.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I run Spektrum radios.

My experience has been the exact opposite, with all of my engines.

Keep in mind I only added a small amount, just 1% extra oil. It works out to about 43mL of castor oil per gallon of fuel.
Castor oil create friction,that's why it will raise some temp,in your case the temp will effect by a few factors, like air temp, engine setting, plug, driving attitude, climate and etc.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Castor oil doesn't create friction. It's a lubricant. It *reduces* friction. Also, when castor oil breaks down, it turns into *even better* lubricants.

Yes, it's thicker than synthetic oil, so it could produce some fluid drag, but again I only used a very small amount.

There is no other explanation that accounts for reduced operating temperatures in *all* of my engines in the middle of the summer. The engines are obviously being lubricated better with the extra oil in the fuel.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Good radio. But its not Futaba or Airtronics/Sanwa. Futaba & Airtronics/Sanwa has Speed of Throttle, That will get the bogging disappear. Adjusting the LSN can get the bogging out. See what I mean, The fraction in time you eccelerate, the bog or flatspot cause a lean condition. You want the LSN to be rich for that fraction. When you turn the LSN CW, idle speed will rise, showing you your leaning it out. How many seconds off idle to Idle speed it takes to set idle speed? 5 or more seconds? Too lean if it take that long. I found that the P-0 engine does better when it drop down right away, and slowing down the speed of throttle on my Airtronics M8 radio system. M8 is correct, P-0 out when, ten yrs ago, more or less. All my model, Serpents, Xray, 8th, 10ths & 12th run on M11. Xray NT18 P-0 the only one on the M8, since the class died down.
It drops to idle almost immediately. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds, if I've been running the engine especially hard and it's hotter than normal.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=fyrstormer;14186124]It drops to idle almost immediately. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds.

mean that it still running a bit lean. You want it to idle immediately. Your HSN is ok leave it alone. Leave LSN alone. Turn down your idle speed. If is stalls, turn your MRN a 16th turn. Should be able to lower Blip the throttle, it should drop down to idle immediately. Should not bog even.

OoopppSSSS there isn't a MRN on the P-0 !!! Sorry its been a long time messing with it!!

Last edited by Geezatec; 09-16-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

I thought nitro engines were supposed to idle high for a couple seconds before dropping down?