R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Damaged Novarossi liner can it be saved

I got a great deal on a novarossi .21 flash Pts on eBay. Everything is great except the liner. I went to expect it and on the exhaust side it had a piece missing. On the other side the liner is still
Nice and smooth. I'm sure it will run....but I'm worried that I might damage the engine even further. Seeing how a rebuild kit costs a lot of money I want to know if it can be saved or not. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged Novarossi liner can it be saved-image.jpg  
Rclb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nope...
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Probably the piston has a scratch as well and if not then it seems the piston is replaced by another one.

I have seen people using the dremel to get rid of the sharp broken edges and run the engine but it is unreliable, the liner could crack further on.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It's a real shame that you got seen off with that motor. It's not recoverable and the cost of a replacement piston/liner/button/rod set is very high on novarossi's. To be honest it'll probably run if you dremeled the sharp edges away and checked the piston for any serious scoring or damage.

If it's ok after you've done the above clean it up well and rebuild it. Try it out and if it runs well it runs but it will no way make max power. If it doesn't run then you've lost nothing in trying and the only option would be to replace the piston/liner. Alternatively buy a new engine of the same family and use this one as spares....
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

You do not need a P/S set from a Flash, a P/S set from a 35-plus-21 will fit also and works just the same.
Even a P/S set from a N21-5T or Kangaroo (120 dollar?) will fit but then you have to add some headshims.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Where would I buy them at. Especially a n21 5t or 7t. Also how would a p5 sleeve/piston work. Thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclb4x4 View Post
I got a great deal on a novarossi .21 flash Pts on eBay. Everything is great except the liner. I went to expect it and on the exhaust side it had a piece missing. On the other side the liner is still
Nice and smooth. I'm sure it will run....but I'm worried that I might damage the engine even further. Seeing how a rebuild kit costs a lot of money I want to know if it can be saved or not. Thanks
I don't think that was a great deal cause the liner is damage. Did you comment on the buyer?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #8
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoskar View Post
I don't think that was a great deal cause the liner is damage. Did you comment on the buyer?
Agreed, you need to leave feedback on this so someone else doesn't fall victim. This is why I do not buy nitro motors that are used unless they are someone I know well and I can look at the motor myself before buying.

Sorry this didn't quite work out well for you the Flash Rally is a great engine but nothing runs well when it is that damaged.
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTy View Post
Agreed, you need to leave feedback on this so someone else doesn't fall victim. This is why I do not buy nitro motors that are used unless they are someone I know well and I can look at the motor myself before buying.

Sorry this didn't quite work out well for you the Flash Rally is a great engine but nothing runs well when it is that damaged.

+1, unless the motor comes with a roller or in a package of some kind for $50-$60 more, then I still dont expect any good from a used motor. Everyone has their own ways of doing maintenance on these motors, some ruin engines. But yiu can get a good one. I got a gem the beginning of last season for $100 (RbM3 from like 2011 with gallon or so, I was told) and was my go to motor all year.
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

We'll I agree on above statements. I got everything for $120 shipped. I could sale individually and probably make more money. But I rather use what I got. I'm for all out speed runs in my hpi super nitro, so top rpm is my concern. Where would I find a rebuild kit priced fair.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
We'll I agree on above statements. I got everything for $120 shipped. I could sale individually and probably make more money. But I rather use what I got. I'm for all out speed runs in my hpi super nitro, so top rpm is my concern. Where would I find a rebuild kit priced fair.
Do you have the newer version with the Low CG cooling head or the older one? I can get you links to parts. Or is this the On-Road version? I know of at least 4 Flash PTs motors Lol. If you got the box in your deal there is a diagram inside that has the part numbers too. Serpent America carries most of the Novarossi parts you'll ever need. Make absolutely sure you price out a new motor as well. I know when I poped my Flash Rally in LA I found a new motor was $20 more than the parts I needed.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Yeah I have the low cg head. No box
Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yeah I have the low cg head. No box
The Flash Rally and the Flash both use 08568/11 for rebuild.
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...8&cat=0&page=1
New Motors are
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...9&cat=0&page=2
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/p...2&cat=0&page=1
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTy View Post

+1. I've never bought a 2nd hand engine as I can't trust the previous owner to have broke it in and/or maintained it properly.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yeah. It usually ends up costing more anyway by the time you've replaced bits and pieces!
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote