R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

O.S tz p 3 port vs tz 5 port

I'm talking about the blue cooling head and the silver cooling one. What are the main difference beside the ports? I know the 5port costs more
nero1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Jye
Tech Regular

more power in the 5 port.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

It suppost to be like that...but I heard ppl that used 5 port vs the same 3 port...saying the 3 port is just as fast...and siad the 5 port P/S are like 1 gallon of lifetime.........seems like the 3 port is a better deal
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

5 port life time is only 1 gallon? that's pretty sad imo
nero1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero1943
That is what I heard.....myself, not a big fan on 5 ports...unless I need one just for fun run, you can try that yourself and prove that wrong.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Actually, there are many people who own the 5-port and have had 2-gallon plus run times on the piston & sleeve. The shortened time 5-ports seem to be only ones from the original production purchased from Asia directly. In my research, there is no reason to believe that a 5-port TZ that you purchase today will last any less run-time than a new 3-port. The contruction materials are identical.

Also, if you search hard enough on the web, most places are selling the non-ROAR legal 5-port for the exact same price as the 3-port motor.

Fuel mileage, horsepower and legalities are the only real true differences. If there is a ROAR 3-port rule where you race, get the 3-port. Most people have noted how well the 3-port performs, even against the 5-port TZ.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

d
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero1943

I personally think that bragging that the 3 port lasts at least 2 gallons is also pretty sad....I've got an easy 3 gallons through my RB V12.....and it runs as good as the day I broke it in......and not for nothing,runs as smooth(idle and all) as ANY OS I've ever owned.....You guys are all being led down a primrose path......

My 5 port TR was the last OS I'm going to own......and BTW,Even though it had a 2 year warranty sticker in the box(and the web site says NO WARRANTY),hobby services would not fix that motor.....which didn't even make it to 2 gallons.....

Last edited by fastharry™; 07-16-2005 at 10:47 AM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #8

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

2 Gallons for the TZ's? Wow, I was thinking about getting one. What is the average for a high performance .12?
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Where was anyone bragging about getting only two gallons of run time on any TZ? The motors are new enough so that people have already had at least two gallons through them with no problems.

Nowhere did it say that they don't last. There are a small handful of original versions that were directly from Hong Kong that have had a couple of problems. 99% of TZ owners love them and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Don't infer things that aren't said.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

Yes, the engine performance and engine's life are very different between them. I know 1 or 2 TZ still running strong after 2 races but one of my friend blow them only after 15 mins of running. Well, actually 4 new TZs blown on last big event, and two of them are on my team. And no, it's not the setting!!
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
2 Gallons for the TZ's? Wow, I was thinking about getting one. What is the average for a high performance .12?
I`ve put at least 6 gallons thru my RB V12....its probably closer to 8 gallons and it still has extremely good compression and has no signs of wear on the crankpin or rod.
AndyT © is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #12
Tech Regular

i'm up to about 2 gallons on my 5 port tz.its still tight and is getting stronger and stronger
moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:55 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT ©
I`ve put at least 6 gallons thru my RB V12....its probably closer to 8 gallons and it still has extremely good compression and has no signs of wear on the crankpin or rod.

and the best part is Rb V12's can be had for 210 dollars....hey Andy.....See if there's any way you can hook up the new CVEC ROAR pipe....MY std V12(non turbo) R40 ,with the new CVEC pipe,was as fast..and had just as much low end(and lost NOTHING on a 100' strait) to 2 guys 710's.....one with a RODY 5 port and RB exhaust..and the other a Nova max.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #14

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
and the best part is Rb V12's can be had for 210 dollars....hey Andy.....See if there's any way you can hook up the new CVEC ROAR pipe....MY std V12(non turbo) R40 ,with the new CVEC pipe,was as fast..and had just as much low end(and lost NOTHING on a 100' strait) to 2 guys 710's.....one with a RODY 5 port and RB exhaust..and the other a Nova max.....
Wow I had no clue they were so cheap. Ill have to look into those.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
....hey Andy.....See if there's any way you can hook up the new CVEC ROAR pipe....MY std V12(non turbo) R40 ,with the new CVEC pipe,was as fast..and had just as much low end(and lost NOTHING on a 100' strait) to 2 guys 710's.....one with a RODY 5 port and RB exhaust..and the other a Nova max.....
Thanks Fastharry, I`ll keep my eye open for that pipe am currently running the RB 401 V-Concept pipe which is quite good.
Apparently the Skyline VR12 pipes are getting very favourable comments from users, but i havent heard of anyone yet using one these with a RB V12......will be interesting to see how this Skyline pipe performs.
Cheers
AndyT © is offline   Reply With Quote