R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Keep on .12 operating temps?

I just got a keep on..the engines runs fine, but the temps ive been getting seem a bit high. The engine is still a bit fat, blowing tons of smoke, but temping at 260. I'm running .4 head shimming, #6 plug, and 20% nitro.

I am wondering what kind of regular temps you guys are getting 280-290? I am wondering if the design of the head is what's giving me higher readings?

Any info would be great.
Jason Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Smith View Post
I just got a keep on..the engines runs fine, but the temps ive been getting seem a bit high. The engine is still a bit fat, blowing tons of smoke, but temping at 260. I'm running .4 head shimming, #6 plug, and 20% nitro.

I am wondering what kind of regular temps you guys are getting 280-290? I am wondering if the design of the head is what's giving me higher readings?

Any info would be great.
I have the same issue. It doesn't run right unless it's 280+ and it's still blowing a lot of smoke. I stopped trying to get it below 280 and have been running it where it feels good.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
I have the same issue. It doesn't run right unless it's 280+ and it's still blowing a lot of smoke. I stopped trying to get it below 280 and have been running it where it feels good.
The first time out with my .12 capricorn engine I was running in the 280-290's with blue smoke and a little over 5min run time. I talked to some guys, and they say the same thing, run it as long as you have blue smoke throughout the powerband. Just make sure you check your bearings often.

I did add an extra head shim, temps went down and run time went up slightly.
DNX408V2-NovaP5, DETC410-Reventon 1.1ex-5.5t MMM
RC10 , RC10GT2- CV-R- SAVOX,
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

To both you guys, are your engines completely broke in? I've had several Novas run pretty hot, but blowing a good smoke trail. Then, all of a sudden they fell flat and had to be retuned and ran around 220-230. That includes my current mill that has over 4 gallons on it. Just a thought....
977 EVO2, Matrix tires, Picco power.
Please drive responsibly
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
To both you guys, are your engines completely broke in? I've had several Novas run pretty hot, but blowing a good smoke trail. Then, all of a sudden they fell flat and had to be retuned and ran around 220-230. That includes my current mill that has over 4 gallons on it. Just a thought....
Define broken in? I don't even know what that means anymore. It had a gallon on the bench and a gallon run through it on the track. If it's not broken it, I'm going to run it hot until it is.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

on the new low profile heads, being used on the novas a temps in the 290 range is not bad , the design allows the temp to be taken lower and closer to the glow plug so it will read higher , as long as there is smoke off the corners when you get back on the gas it should be good
Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael 1 View Post
on the new low profile heads, being used on the novas a temps in the 290 range is not bad , the design allows the temp to be taken lower and closer to the glow plug so it will read higher , as long as there is smoke off the corners when you get back on the gas it should be good
I was waiting for others to chime in but thanks for the info and making me comfortable with that temp range.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Mine runs around 280-290 in the FL summer and doesn't have any problem. If i richen it up and hr it loses its punch and never gets into 2nd (even though the 2 speed is correct). Also, i was able to make 6min30sec run time on a single tank of fuel, no chatter and was not lean at all. Has anyone else seen good run time with a single tank?
esckalayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by esckalayd View Post
Mine runs around 280-290 in the FL summer and doesn't have any problem. If i richen it up and hr it loses its punch and never gets into 2nd (even though the 2 speed is correct). Also, i was able to make 6min30sec run time on a single tank of fuel, no chatter and was not lean at all. Has anyone else seen good run time with a single tank?
Just over six from full to smoke but that was during a time trial run, not during a race.