R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default GT Engine

For the past few years I have been running this class. The races have been done with several thoughts as to what the motor spec should be. Some races or series have spec'd the actual motors you can run, some have used a $200 limit and others have it set to run what ya' brung or can afford. Some like the Ipanema races run two classes - Spec and Open.

On a few other threads there has been a discusion as to what would make sense, and I believe that each club, track or event should do what they feel works for thier racers. Most that want the lower engine cost, do that for out of pocket expenses. But most that are competitive (I know I am) would change out the carb or bearings if it made a cheap engine better. Others would like to purchse better stuff out of the box and not have to buy the additional items.

However, I think if we can get some consistency it will help the racers and promotors in setting up events for this class. Heck ROAR could even give us some unified rules.

So Here is a list of engines that I found using some of the on-line places we all purchase stuff from. I know I have not found every option, but it is a good list to look at. First all the engines are .21 to .28 in displacement, they are also "Buggy" or "Rally" based but any engine within the displacement would be accepted for the open class.

To me the price points make sense at $200 or $250 or $280 with anything beyond that should just be run in an open class. If I had my preference, we should be running the spec class (more cars in a class) and leave open for the 1/8 $WD guys. These cars are easier on the pocket book, and look cool out racing on the track.

So look at the attached list and post your thoughts.

Mark - AKA - "Grenade"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT Engine Options.pdf (48.2 KB, 157 views)
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think that 2 classes is great. However, if you're going to have a spec class, run the limit at $250 or $280. Initial cost is higher, but in the long run you're going to have an engine that runs much stronger and longer. The $200 engine rule just means that you end up having carb/bearing leaks or the engine is worn out after one season. Then after the $280 price point, run an open class option.

If they're is a low turn out in an area. Still run the spec/open rules, run the cars at the same time on the track Le Mans style. But just score them separately. I know that sometimes that can be discouraging to new drivers, but at the same time it allows the new guys to follow lines of faster guys and see how they get around the track and mimic them. I know that's how I fine tuned my driving when I started was when I got passed by a faster guy I would try to follow him and stay on him to learn the lines around the track. By running the spec/open together guys can run any big block they have on hand, build the class overall, but still give the spec guys a chance to win. Then once the class is built up enough you can split them into 2 separate classes.

As always, my 2 cents, so take it for what it is.
C-Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post

Some like the Ipanema races run two classes - Spec and Open.

Mark - AKA - "Grenade"
Who else on earth runs both GT Spec & GT Open at their GT Only racing events besides Ipanema Sports?

Would really like to know, because I would attend them too.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Who else on earth runs both GT Spec & GT Open at their GT Only racing events besides Ipanema Sports?

Would really like to know, because I would attend them too.
You may need to make a trip to Colorado ..... You're on the notification list if I get this put together ........... Outside of that, not sure I know of one.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Doesn't make sense to have two classes IMO.

The stock ofna motor that is a .28 is more powerful than those 700 onroad engines. So limiting price is just limiting the life of your engine/investment.

Usually the idea of a spec class is for all the cars to be running the same speed....not dollar amount. I have never heard of a spec class that can run more powerful engines than a open class.

In other words the same car running in the spec class has just a good of chance winning in the open class. His engine just won't last more than one or two 60 minute mains.

There are whiners out there that feel like if they could afford a 700 motor they would have a better chance of winning.......which is the farthest thing from the truth. I don't run the 700 motors and compete just fine without them.
BIGCAT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Dollar amount means nothing in GT Spec class racing, as pricing is subject to change without notice or reason.

The whole concept of the original GT Spec class was centered on a level playing field with power plants; it was never about price point.

The idea was that power was very close to equal between drivers, so that skill and good luck was the way to the podium. That is the true spirit of GT Spec class racing.

In the beginning everyone ran the cars very close to box stock and the only chassis that was permitted was the Kyosho IGT1 and everyone ran the factory GXR engine. The racing was close, fun and it almost impossible to skirt the rules.

One of the largest GT Spec class group in the world is the crew from Club Kyosho Ajusco in Mexico City. They have over 35 GT racers in their group running on race weekends and they include the OS .21VG.

There is also a very big GT Spec class in Japan, that runs very similar rules and they also allow the OS .21VG engine to compete and both have been very successful for over 5 years because the engine is very good quality product and moderately priced.

We adopted both of their existing GT Spec class rule structures and also included the $200 price limit rule out of respect to what the” Midwest Series” here in America was doing for our 2012 GT World Championships; in an attempt to bring more uniformity to our GT Spec class in North America.

Since running our 2012 GT World Championships event, we’ve all come to realize that the GT Spec engine rule based strictly on price is not good for our Spec class. We’ve learned that there’s too much gray area in regards to engine pricing and we will no longer “Spec” any engines based on price again.

The engines in GT Spec must be evenly matched by power levels, if they’re not, we might as well all just run in a GT Open engine class.

All the best!

For more info:
www.gtworldchampionships.com
Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
You may need to make a trip to Colorado ..... You're on the notification list if I get this put together ........... Outside of that, not sure I know of one.
Team Ipanema might be very interested in racing in Colorado with your group.

Just make sure to make it an "inclusive" event and that the track venue is up to the best standards possible. No small tight or little layouts, since airfare, hotels and rental cars add up to $$$$, so the value and fun must be there.

Lets talk, when you're ready to do something serious.

Good luck!