Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joaosilvab

1/8 GT Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1/8 GT Engine

I am after recommendations for GT engine. Our track is quite technical with pretty short straights. Not sure to go with .21 or .28 etc?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi! What car are you running and what are your spur/pinion combinations? There many great engines out there but you can make your choice taking a few things in consideration, for example:

-> Roar rules. If you are going to run ROAR sanctioned events you will need a 21 engine with not more than 5 ports and a 7mm restrictor in carburetor venturi.
-> gearing of the car: some cars are geared too tall for a 21 engine, or the stock clutch is not setup for it. In that case you might want a 28 (or get the right spring/shoe combination for your engine/gearing/track conditions).

Here are some suggestions:

For the 21, 5 ports, Nova has the ISON GT which is reliable and fast. Hard to beat for the price tag. RB has the BXR DI5 but it's not cheap. The OS speed 3 port engine is insanely fast but expensive too (but maintenance is cheap). The Nova-Maxy Cinco BT is great engine too with lots of power and very reliable. There is also the Reds 5 port which is a screamer and quite affordable. There is also the Picco Boost.

If you can run a 21, 7 port there is the Nova Bonito. That motor is a beast in GT. RB came out with the new RALLY Xtrem V2. There is also the ISON 7 port but you might want to put a bigger cooling head on it to deal better with the heat. The OS speed 7 port is a monster powerhouse, a little expensive but maintenance is cheap.

If you want insane power (like the OS speed 7 port) you can look at 9 ports like the Rally Flash PT. It's a monster.

If you want to try a 25 engine, the Nova Roma is very fast.

For the 28 there is the Picco Boost and the Nova 28.

Last edited by Joe Kimble; 10-13-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JPFX
I am after recommendations for GT engine. Our track is quite technical with pretty short straights. Not sure to go with .21 or .28 etc?
Technical track go for buggy engine(higher torque ), cheap and reliable
Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Would that roma motor be good for top end speed in an igt2 or would a .28 or higher be better suited for straight up speed?
Old 12-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I have it currently geared with a 19/26 clutch bell, 46/40 HS gears and an axial .32 motor. Would there be something you could recommend in motors to make my car have more top speed?

Last edited by JRodIGT; 12-09-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: double entry
Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRodIGT
Would that roma motor be good for top end speed in an igt2 or would a .28 or higher be better suited for straight up speed?
I've run the Roma .25 as well as many .21 and .28's. If you have the straight the .21's with the right gearing will be faster. Tight infields, if you have the traction .28's will out accelerate the .21. A .25 is a good option, but not the best at top speed or acceleration.

That being said most GT cars tend to be way over geared, so the engine does not really hit the high RPM or accelerate as quickly. I'm normally in the 14/18, 15/19 on the pinion with 44/48 spurs on the OFNA gear box 13/43. So compare to your car and see. This includes tracks with 250' plus straights.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info Grenade. I had sent emails to Novarrosi and RB Concepts to help in my inquiry. This was their suggestions of the motors, what would be my best option:

From RB:

01014-RALLYV2 RB Rally engine V2
E01014-RALLYV2 RB Engine RALLY V2 with In-line set pipe 2092
RODAGE Pre-Run engine RB Concept

RB CXR CIRCUIT SUPER LONG STROKE 9
4 REFERENCES

RB CXR CIRCUIT SUPER LONG STROKE 9...
3 REFERENCES

RB CXR CIRCUIT LONG STROKE 7 IELASI...
3 REFERENCES

RB CXR CIRCUIT SUPER LONG STROKE DIRECT...
4 REFERENCES

From Novarossi:

FLASH RALLY.21PT/A

LOCO/PS

MY LHS has an RB TM928 as an option as well.

I am only driving on asphalt in a straight line so top speed is what I am after.

I appreciate all the help my friends!!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

Does anybody out there have any type of experience with Reds Racing M7T GT .21 7 port GT rally on road engine(Turbo plug) ?
Old 01-17-2021, 03:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Best 1/8 gt engine 2021

Hi guys
looking to buy a new GT engine , whats the best on the market?
I was thinking Gimar 9/5 GT (tq) (nova based) or ielasi tuned gp5( os based)? Is there any better option than these two?
tell me what you guys think

Thank you
gilesdhay likes this.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Joaosilvab
Hi guys
looking to buy a new GT engine , whats the best on the market?
I was thinking Gimar 9/5 GT (tq) (nova based) or ielasi tuned gp5( os based)? Is there any better option than these two?
tell me what you guys think

Thank you
There are many like Reds, OS, Picco, Gimar, Ielasi, One, Max Power, Sirio and Novarossi if you can find.
Check Italian web store they are giving the best choice about GT8 engine. Shops like RC Gimar, RC Model Store, Modellismo E Ricambi or Kosmo RC.
hope it helps.