Wiki Posts
Search

OS 12 TzR

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
Just ran mine for the first time this past Sat. Couldn't get any power out if I run at 210. I would come in after warm up at 230, 15 mins Main later at 240/245. Plenty of smoke
Same here. I found out that my TZ runs good at 240-250. Just like what Dom said, plenty of smoke.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wyl03, I think we can all assume the basis on temping a motor is consistent with everyone here, and the basis of motor tuning, so no need for that here. All I want is to get some feedback because I was told this motor runs extremely cold for some and that's not what I'd experienced. Not newbie here.

Dom
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wyl03, I think we can all assume the basis on temping a motor is consistent with everyone here, and the basis of motor tuning, so no need for that here. All I want is to get some feedback because I was told this motor runs extremely cold for some and that's not what I'd experienced. Not newbie here.

Dom
I ran my TZ around 240F aswell. Runs great.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Tech Adept

Mine decided it wanted to drop (break off) the piston skirt into the crankcase

And dont ask me how or why it done this ,as i dont know myself

question is the rest of the engine looks good so im getting a P/S kits and rebuilding it ,so do I need to replace bearings and what else should i be looking for when i put it back together

other then that i couldnt be happier with the motor

Thanks Guys
Old 05-16-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Has anyone run this black devil OS Speed TZ yet??
How's the performance...?? By looking at the 'port', this engine sure has lots of huge low end...

Last edited by E.T.; 05-16-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Dom
A friend (5-Port) and I (3-Port) were running our TZ's this weekend below 200F (80F, sunny, high humidity). I was switching from a P3 to P7 plug and was definitely running too rich. I wasn't running it belolw 200 on purpose, but didn't really have the time to fuss with it before qualifiying started (I have issues tuning the TZ, but that's just me). I could keep up with everyone on the 200ft straight and had lots of low to mid range power with the V12Plus pipe that I was trying. He has been running a P7 plug, but wasn't running rich at all and had about 1/3 tank fuel after the 4min qualifiers and 5min mains. I think he has been running it like this for a while now.

We both agreed that running the engine below 200F was a "bad thing", just because it shouldn't run below 200 based on what people say, so we were going to be sure to get the engine above 200 the next time we race, which is coming up this Sunday.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
A friend (5-Port) and I (3-Port) were running our TZ's this weekend below 200F (80F, sunny, high humidity). I was switching from a P3 to P7 plug and was definitely running too rich. I wasn't running it belolw 200 on purpose, but didn't really have the time to fuss with it before qualifiying started (I have issues tuning the TZ, but that's just me). I could keep up with everyone on the 200ft straight and had lots of low to mid range power with the V12Plus pipe that I was trying. He has been running a P7 plug, but wasn't running rich at all and had about 1/3 tank fuel after the 4min qualifiers and 5min mains. I think he has been running it like this for a while now.

We both agreed that running the engine below 200F was a "bad thing", just because it shouldn't run below 200 based on what people say, so we were going to be sure to get the engine above 200 the next time we race, which is coming up this Sunday.

If the motor runs great at that temperature, leave it.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

So, who's doing what and who's making what for the TZ motors. Is there anybody making better con rods for these motors. I need to change out my .12 rod as it has a stretched feel to it, having endured the really heavy wedge these engines have. We had two .21 engines break their rods right above the crank pin this w/end at Time Zone Raceway in Washington. These were motors owned by very experienced racers and I don't want to suffer their frustrations.

So far, I've run a gallon of fuel with nothing but praise for its speediness, having had it finnessed by our local motor man Mike Ellis. He mentioned some one talked on a thread about this rod problem, so here I am, checking out the fixes.

What do you know ??

Jacko
Old 05-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Mr Artificial,

thanks for the pointer. Only 40 pages, how could I have missed it !!

Jacko
Old 05-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Skimming these pages makes me think OS should be packing a second con rod with these motors. At least seven posts talk of swapping cons after a gallon and some posts of brakage by gallon and a half.

So is anyone making a better con rod than stock ?

Jacko
Old 05-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Fog
Skimming these pages makes me think OS should be packing a second con rod with these motors. At least seven posts talk of swapping cons after a gallon and some posts of brakage by gallon and a half.

So is anyone making a better con rod than stock ?

Jacko
Actually, I came to determine that my breakage of the conrod was due to inproper break-in technique. And in addition, I ran the car a few races with stripped 2nd gear and even lost power in the car once with full throttle applied and the turn marshalls took some time to shut it down. I as a precaution, will be changing the conrod after a gallon. Conrods are $20 and I have 3 of them on backup. Theres about 5-10 TZs running at my track, and Im the only one that has suffered a conrod break. So anyways... if you gave a good break-in to your engine and havent abused it, I'd suggest you should just change the conrod at 2 gallons just as a precaution...
Old 05-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody have any problems with their front bearings leaking on an OS .12 TZ 3-port? I may have to live with this engine for another race.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Never had a bearing leak problem with the TZ... must've gotten too hot or just worn out the seal...

Owned and tuned TZ's around Memphis that have more than 1.5 gals through them- none have let a rod go yet.

Fog- u guys should be running the P7 plug. The actual temps seem to vary from one to another because of different fuels, driving styles, cooling abilities for given chassis etc, but most around here run 220 - 240 with ambient air temps in the 80-95 rnage and track temps in the 100- 150 range. Air quality is typically poor here cause of the humidity.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Does anyone know where to buy OSSpeed engine,very interest it,can someone help me thank
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnhsp
Does anyone know where to buy OSSpeed engine,very interest it,can someone help me thank
www.rc-champ.co.jp have them. I do not know if they have them in stock or not, drop them an email.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.