Wiki Posts
Search

OS 12 TzR

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Secret_weapon
Hi

I have the 5 port TZ .. do I have to increase the head clearance ?

If so ,, what mm should i put ?

Thnx ..
0.3-0.4mm head clearance for 16% nitro and 0.4-0.5mm head clearance for 25% Thats Head clearance not shims! Measure the head clearance by inserting a 1mm dia piece of soder in the cylinder and turn over the crank once. Use a vernier to measure the flat spot

Cheers
Old 03-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

umm ... Im sorry I didnt get it.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seisick
exactly, at first they begin to get loose on one side, then the vibration makes the rest!
compared to other engines like the tr for instance, the fins are thinner, that could be the reason.
on a crash the fins brake inmediately, not so here, had to use poxibonder (kind of metallic pot) to avoid one fin to continue to get loose by vibration!
Why is your engine vibrating so bad? so that the fins on the head come off, I hae ran .12TZ engines for sometime now and I have never seen any head lose fins do to excessive vibration. If you think that the fin is to thin why don't you send it back to Hobby Services to see what the problem is? It sounds like operator error, I could be wrong. But the guy running the engine is never wrong, send it to hobby services and find out if the fins on the .12TZ are to thin.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Secret_weapon
umm ... Im sorry I didnt get it.
What nitro % do you plan on running with your 5 port TZ??? Also, what is the temp in your area of the world??? Matching nitro % with plug type is also key along with head clearance... If you're running let say 25-30% nitro, leave the head shims alone and run a #P7 OS plug... If you're running 16% - 20% you can take one of the copper shims out and run a hot P6 or P3 OS plug. Outside temps also will dictate what plug type you should use... ie...
Hot, warm or cold plugs as well as nitro percentage...

RC_Alan
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

hey guys, you might remember me from a while ago. I posted asking how good the engine was yada yada...as i think i told you i DID get one. Recently i ran it a few times after break in and its pretty fast and sounds really nice compared to my old TR.
Now im reading you guys talking about head shims and stuff and im wondering if i should yank one of the shims out? Im running 20% sidewinder, the temperatures i will run at are 25-35 celcius. So im wondering here if i take one out i read it will run cooler, more torque and will need to find the right plug BUT...will this make it harder to tune and will it noticably decrease engine life?
and rc_alan not to be rude but i thought when you take out a head shim you are supposed to run a COLD plug, you listed the hottest plugs? As far as i remeber reading it was you need a COLD plug to prevent detonation since with a hot plug the fuel/air will ignite too early? I guess you WOULD be right if you are talking about running in some cold weather, then im sorry.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a buddy that just bought a OS TZR motor for his MTX-4. Will novarossi turbo plugs fit the OS motor or does he have to buy OS turbo plugs only. The reason why im asking is because he has a box of novarossi turbo plugs. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Nova plugs leak. Only use OS plugs
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

i've never had a problem with novarossi plugs
Old 03-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I'd strongly suggest you use OS plugs specially if weather conditions permit the #6 os plug, they bring out the power on your TZ. If your worried bout the prices, rc-toro can get you 6 plugs for $30 shipped...
Old 03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Need to borrow a flame thrower to heat this engine up for break in I heard that these motors are very tight but this is ridiculous I got 2 starter boxes & im sweating my A** off trying to turn it over for it's first tank you name it i tryed it already now Im just waiting for it to heat up & get her cranking
Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krasi_5000
hey guys, you might remember me from a while ago. I posted asking how good the engine was yada yada...as i think i told you i DID get one. Recently i ran it a few times after break in and its pretty fast and sounds really nice compared to my old TR.
Now im reading you guys talking about head shims and stuff and im wondering if i should yank one of the shims out? Im running 20% sidewinder, the temperatures i will run at are 25-35 celcius. So im wondering here if i take one out i read it will run cooler, more torque and will need to find the right plug BUT...will this make it harder to tune and will it noticably decrease engine life?
and rc_alan not to be rude but i thought when you take out a head shim you are supposed to run a COLD plug, you listed the hottest plugs? As far as i remeber reading it was you need a COLD plug to prevent detonation since with a hot plug the fuel/air will ignite too early? I guess you WOULD be right if you are talking about running in some cold weather, then im sorry.
You have it part right... You should run a hot or warm plug when you're running a lower nitro %... ie... 16% nitro... You can take a head shim out and run a hot plug and see your performance gains... If any... Fuel brand A with 16% nitro may give better performance then fuel brand B with the same nitro percentage... That's for another thread... Again I also said outside temps will also dictate what plug type you should use. If it's a hot day and you're running 16% nitro, run the warm plug... If it's a cool day and you're running 16% nitro, run the hot plug... If you're running 30% nitro or higher, then run the warm plug on a cool day and during summer time racing/hot days, switch to the cold plug... The TZ is already set to run with 30% nitro... If anyone is running 16-20% nitro, they can take a one copper head shim out to add compression if the motor needs it and add a head shim if you're running 35-40% nitro... Again and good rule of thumb is if it's not broken... Why fix it... And if it is broken.... Why

RC_Alan
Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 710baby
Need to borrow a flame thrower to heat this engine up for break in I heard that these motors are very tight but this is ridiculous I got 2 starter boxes & im sweating my A** off trying to turn it over for it's first tank you name it i tryed it already now Im just waiting for it to heat up & get her cranking
I did this: used a heat gun for about 1 minute. Placed the glow igniter for about 10 seconds, pushed on the starterbox for about another 5 seconds so it gained speed, then gave it a go. I'd suggest you keep around a big screw driver so you can unlock the flywheel.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I did this: used a heat gun for about 1 minute. Placed the glow igniter for about 10 seconds, pushed on the starterbox for about another 5 seconds so it gained speed, then gave it a go. I'd suggest you keep around a big screw driver so you can unlock the flywheel.
Thanks Riketsu
I broken in plenty of motors before just was being a little sarcastic.
Just that this one is not the common motor got 3 tanks thru highest Temp 155 with factory settings in place
Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How many gallons are you guys seeing out of these motors now?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

There was a post in here quite a number of pages back, in which the TZ`s owner had put around 4 gallons thru and it was still performing nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.