R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Nitro engine winter storage

What are hobbyists doing to their prized nitro engines prior to the hibernation months to ensure that they are in tip-top condition for next summer?

Are we taking the engines apart, cleaning them and ziploc'ing them? or are we simply adding after run oil and hoping for the best?

Thx.
mhavlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhavlena View Post
What are hobbyists doing to their prized nitro engines prior to the hibernation months to ensure that they are in tip-top condition for next summer?

Are we taking the engines apart, cleaning them and ziploc'ing them? or are we simply adding after run oil and hoping for the best?

Thx.
I just add a lot of after run oil, run it through the engine. I will also put some after run oil on the outside of the front bearing. Store it in a zip lock baggy. Then next season they are ready to go. I usually change the glowplug after the first start on the next season.

You can take the engine apart to inspect it before you put it up for winter. That's never a bad idea. Just use plenty of after run oil when re-assembling the engine.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I just add a lot of after run oil, run it through the engine. I will also put some after run oil on the outside of the front bearing. Store it in a zip lock baggy. Then next season they are ready to go. I usually change the glowplug after the first start on the next season.

You can take the engine apart to inspect it before you put it up for winter. That's never a bad idea. Just use plenty of after run oil when re-assembling the engine.
Thanks Uriah!!
mhavlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Default after run oil

ok just wondering what after run oil should be used and what air filter oil is good to use
CRC Gen XL / Xray 09 , t2r pro / CW sprint and CW rocket / Kyosho evolva m3 / Tekin rs / Futaba 4pks / Trinity / Dirtburners thanks Bill / 1/8th racers of Toledo / Trex chassi / Summit Race way / Stateline
LAZER SPEEDWAY where all else IS just a parking lot / Hobby Stop West Raceway
2056dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Being in the Marine industry for 25 years I use "Fogging Oil" This product is made for the winter storage of two stroke outboards, it comes in a full size spray can for about $8.00 works like a champ!

I spray the motor full, rock the piston back and forth and seal it in a bag.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

What about the after run oil made by rc companys? Is it any good?
1fastmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote