Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RB or Novarossi .12

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default RB or Novarossi .12

Someone selling a used RB or Novarossi .12 modified? I'm new in world of RC, I need it for practice and join races too so I can improve my driving. Maybe someday if I'm good enough I'll buy a new engine
Old 10-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

I have a Modified and standard Picco JLR .12 Im not using - but Im sure you would need a new piston and sleeve for it as I think it's losing compression. Id sell it with the 2651 pipe and a new rod as well if your interested, not selling for much, I just want to get rid of it since I don't use it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear
I have a Modified and standard Picco JLR .12 Im not using - but Im sure you would need a new piston and sleeve for it as I think it's losing compression. Id sell it with the 2651 pipe and a new rod as well if your interested, not selling for much, I just want to get rid of it since I don't use it.
How much?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

$150 plus postage gets you:
-1 completely built engine with standard P/S and modified crank in modified block.

-1 standard block with stock crank and modified P/S unnassembled, no rod, with brand new unused cooling head. The button is a little mangled-looking from a mishap of unknown reason/I dont know why it happened. You can file it down to make it fit as it doesnt sit inside the sleeve like it should. The carb shield broke off, and I tried to seal it but eventually it loosens up after about 5 tanks or so.

-1 Picco 2651 pipeset.
-1 spare rod.
-A bunch of 0.1 and 0.2mm shims.

So basically its 1 usable engine (carb shield is fully intact) and another box of engine parts. You could have 2 engines but the second needs a few parts, so it's just being used as spare parts.
Both versions (stock and modified) ran extremely well, the stock catching up to a Nova 353S '10 version easily.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Get a RB Junior T10 Engine. They go for $180 on eBay. Its Novarossi based, and since your starting out, it will help you learn how to tune engines.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

True, I just realised you said you were new to onroads, I wouldnt get it if I were you, just because it will probably be a PITA for you. Go the RB T10J, I have the T10 and it absolutely rocks!!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default RB T10, RB T10RC or Nova Flash Tuned

Hello

I have a question about the engines mentioned in the title.
I have the possibility to purchase the T10RC, T10 and the flash for a very good price, every one at about 240 euros.
Now my question is, which would you chose?
I'm racing on tight technical tracks, but also one big track (Lostallo).

What I have seen is, that no one of the RB engines are having ceramic bearings, whereas the Nova Flash do have ceramic bearing.
I think, that an engine in this price range should have a ceramic bearing.

I'm driving a G4RS 09 and i plan to run this year with a new engine.
Also important for me is, the engine should be easy to tune.

Can you give me a help in this matter?

Thank you and kind regards from Switzerland.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Italboy
Hello

I have the possibility to purchase the T10RC, T10 and the flash for a very good price, every one at about 240 euros.

What I have seen is, that no one of the RB engines are having ceramic bearings, whereas the Nova Flash do have ceramic bearing.

I would not let the ceramic bearing issue be a deal breaker. A steel rear bearing is probally more durable. I've seen rear ceramic bearings fail prematurely. Most of my engines that came with a rear ceramic initially; when it's time to replace them; I replace them with a good quality steel bearing.

Pass you soon...
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Italboy
Hello

Big track (Lostallo):
I would go the Nova 353 Ceramic Tuned, it has more top end than the Flash .12
Or the T10RC

Tight technical track:
The RB T10 or the Flash .12, standard or tuned, but the Tuned version would be better.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the answers.
I didn't think that a ceramic bearing could be worse than a steel bearing.

So the Rb10 has more bottom end as the Rb10RC, right?

Which one would you take, if you have to chose just one engine?

For me, the bottom end is important. But I don't want loose on top end too much.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, the standard T10 has more bottom end and the T10RC has more top end.
I would still take the T10RC as the bottom end is only a little less than standard, but proves to be better pretty much all over, plus being better matched to the pipe and just being BETTER!! I can't really say anything else, but with the Tuned engines from any manufacturer, the tuned pipes for those engines are designed to work better/be in sync with the tuned engines. Makes sense, but then again, the engine will run great with the right pipe anyway - it's just the tuned engine will make better use of the pipe as well as having the power placed in the right place, instead of having "generic" timing, if you can call it that.

Standard engines, I would think, would measure the same to each other (from the top of the sleeve to the top of the port), whereas a tuned or modified version will have all the measurements individually check and then rechecked after the work has been done. Really, all engines should be done once in the factory and not have a standard Vs tuned version, otherwise they are saying "we designed this engine to produce 80% of what we know we can crank out of it, and with 15% less fuel efficiency than we can make it use"
Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you dj s
That's right. The right combination between engine and pipe should be chosen. Otherwise the best bottom end engine can not deliver its power outside.
What I also asked to myself is, what is the main difference between Tuned and Modified..
I saw the Picco Evo4 Edo Modified and the Factory Tuned.

Are Piccos (for instance Evo 3 Edo Modified) on same power level as Nova based engines or RB's?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have and IDM Evo3 w/ the 2651 pipe and it is really no comparison to the RBM3 and the two RBT10RC motors that I run. The IDM/Picco Evo3 is a great motor (botton end) just to me doesn't have the same overall power that the others listed have, but it also doesn't have the price tag either!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

sorry, I meant the EVO4 Edo Modified not EVO3 in comparison with Nova and RB engines..
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

NOVA !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.