R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Tech Regular

If you are new then both the engines you mention will be fast enough. The reality is you won't know how to gain the maximum power from these engines to start with.

When you are more experience and can setup the car, tune engine/ clutch and drive well. The Novarossi engines are the best. There are a few engine out there which can match the Nova's top end but none will get close to their bottom and mid range, end of story.
MRCCR - MELBOURNE RADIO CONTROL CIRCUIT RACING
www.mrccr.com.au
West03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by West03 View Post
If you are new then both the engines you mention will be fast enough. The reality is you won't know how to gain the maximum power from these engines to start with.

When you are more experience and can setup the car, tune engine/ clutch and drive well. The Novarossi engines are the best. There are a few engine out there which can match the Nova's top end but none will get close to their bottom and mid range, end of story.
Hahaha, a little one-sided are we?

Every engine can do well, it just depends on how you drive, how well your clutch is set and again, the way you drive.
I love the torque from the Picco range, 2nd gear hits and it's gone when tuned right.
From what I have heard, the Top 3 engines would be:
-Nova Flash/353
-RB T10RC or Murnans M3
-Max XXL3 M.F modded

it just depends on the setup really. its like asking what is a faster car?
You could have a Kyosho R4 with Novarossi Flash .12 Tuned Vs a Team Magic G4RS with an STS .12 in it, but the Kyosho could have the wrong clutch setup and average driver, whereas the TM could have Tosolini behind the radio!
It comes down to driving ability and setup, this is the most effective way (though incredibly hard) to go faster and be the fastest!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Shakespear View Post

Every engine can do well, it just depends on how you drive, how well your clutch is set and again, the way you drive.
I love the torque from the Picco range, 2nd gear hits and it's gone when tuned right.
have to agree here, i always used to run noarossi motors, but made the move over to a picco based motor last season and am so impressed with the torque the evo 4 gives, they dont rev anywhere near a rossi motor, but fit a longer gear ratio and they pull like a train, i dont think i lost out power wise to anyone last year, all i would say is the tuning window is a bit narrower, to get the best from them you end up adjusting them alittle more than a rossi motor
www.DHmodelsport.co.uk
jas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Are we talking about the Picco Evo4 Edo Modified? Or an other tuned Picco engine?
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sorry guys, not sure where to post this but if you guys know the older RB R3 or R4 (cannot remember which number) tune engine is using what size bearings??
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #21
Tech Adept

Are we speaking about the Picco Evo4 Edo Modified? Or an other tuned Picco engine?
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #22
Tech Regular

I run idm motors, there very well priced in the uk, the idm evo4 as was has been dropped, it's now called nitro R, basically same motor, believe the liner is slightly different
www.DHmodelsport.co.uk
jas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Picco and Nova, performance is about the same but Picco has way batter price.
ioxqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
Sorry guys, not sure where to post this but if you guys know the older RB R3 or R4 (cannot remember which number) tune engine is using what size bearings??
11.5x21mm RB part No 01700-476
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:

From what I have heard, the Top 3 engines would be:
-Nova Flash/353
-RB T10RC or Murnans M3
-Max XXL3 M.F modded

it just depends on the setup really. its like asking what is a faster car?
You could have a Kyosho R4 with Novarossi Flash .12 Tuned Vs a Team Magic G4RS with an STS .12 in it, but the Kyosho could have the wrong clutch setup and average driver, whereas the TM could have Tosolini behind the radio!
It comes down to driving ability and setup, this is the most effective way (though incredibly hard) to go faster and be the fastest!
You mention that when it hits 2nd gear the Picco then flies. Which is my point, no engine maker at this time can match a Nova for bottom and mid-range.

One other guy mention that it needs to be geared up and tune near its limit (on the lean side) and then it can match the Nova. Maybe, but how long will it last?

I have been racing 1/8th and 1/10th for over 20 years. Used all know engines, cars, pipes, fuel and clutches worth using. Maybe in the future another engine company may come-out with something better. For now the Nova range is still the leader of the pack when purchasing an engine off the shelve.
www.mrccr.com.au
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Default picco

Quote:
Originally Posted by West03 View Post
You mention that when it hits 2nd gear the Picco then flies. Which is my point, no engine maker at this time can match a Nova for bottom and mid-range.

One other guy mention that it needs to be geared up and tune near its limit (on the lean side) and then it can match the Nova. Maybe, but how long will it last?

I have been racing 1/8th and 1/10th for over 20 years. Used all know engines, cars, pipes, fuel and clutches worth using. Maybe in the future another engine company may come-out with something better. For now the Nova range is still the leader of the pack when purchasing an engine off the shelve.
i know nothing about engins but when i looked at picco i was told rods are sus i hate engins that nead matenice it i seem 2 get more hours out of $120 rossi than more $ engins have trouble with tuning or lack of ha ha
greg.dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg.dawn View Post
i know nothing about engins but when i looked at picco i was told rods are sus i hate engins that nead matenice it i seem 2 get more hours out of $120 rossi than more $ engins have trouble with tuning or lack of ha ha
Yes, the rods in the Evo 3 ARE a complete nightmare to deal with!! I just hope that mine will last me the Vic Titles and not blow-out on me!! Otherwise Im left with no engine But they have fixed that issue with the Evo 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by West03

Not too lean, but that with the Picco's you definitely know when you are reaching the optimum tune, just like the Flash 12 or 353 - they like to run hot, somewhere like 230?
For Lilydale, Ill definitely go faster on the gears just so I know Im not over-revving it, just as a safetey/longevity precaution, and then Im just basically going to run it till it dies, which should be in the next 6 months, unless what I did by increasing the lube hole in the rod actually works and it lives for another 6 months on top of that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italboy
Are we speaking about the Picco Evo4 Edo Modified? Or an other tuned Picco engine?
Im talking about the Evo 3 as that is what I have, but it has rod issues which really let it down. The Evo 4 has addressed this issue as far as I know and they do not blow like they did in the Evo3. Mine is tuned by AB Mods and tweaked by me, and I am yet to see how differently it performs on a larger track - last time I ran that engine I hadn't touched the mods, but now I will see how much it can fly!!

I think the reason it has more torque is because it has a shorter stroke than today's engines (Picco Evo3=14mm stroke, 13.80mm bore) and that is the reason it doesn't quite make the revs like Nova's and others can (Nova Flash 12=14.25mm stroke, 13.70mm bore) With the longer stroke, the crank can be made smaller (rod end) which in turn reduces the harmonic resonance and also gives it the ability to rev higher because of less inertia at X RPM. Im not saying that the smaller the crank face is, the more RPM you will churn out, I thought the less stroke or the more 'square' the engine is the more RPM you will be able to make, but then I remembered why that isnt true.
But enough if my essay

BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!
You would do great with either an RB or a Novarossi - they are the best out there, it just comes down to how you drive.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!
You would do great with either an RB or a Novarossi - they are the best out there, it just comes down to how you drive.
The topic is which engine he should pick? Not both but one or the other. It doesn't matter anyway. I am sure he has made his mind up after ready a lot of rubbish posted here
www.mrccr.com.au
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Hehehe, that's why I said he would do well with either of the two
After all, RB is almost like Novarossi - made in the same place, just done to RB specs that's all.