R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default INS-BOX

im aware of the IFMAR/EFRA new regulations on 1/10 class, i need feedback on pros and cons of installing this part.

thanks
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

The only reason to install an INS-BOX is to comply with the rules set by the race organizer. They are designed to reduce the noise from the air intake. The noise produced is indeed a bit milder, but not much. In have not noticed any power loss, but I don't run back-to-back with and without the INS-BOX, so there might be a very slight power loss. Other than that, it adds weight to your car where you don't want it (sitting high up).
All in all, the biggest advantage of running an INS-BOX other than making your car race legal is that your air filter collects much less dust, thus requiring less cleaning.
If you have to use one, there are three INS-BOXES that actually fit a 10th scale. The Mugen box has expensive and crappy airfilters, I used it and would not recommend it. I use the Novarossi box which is good. Same box is also available from RB if you fancy the orange color. Then there is the Xceed box, which I haven't used or seen used locally, put pics from the big races show that quite a lot of the pro's use it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

An INS box acts like about a .5mm smaller venturi. Slightly less top end (barely noticeable) with slightly better fuel mileage. At least that's what I see on the .21's. .12's might be more or less of an effect.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used the clear one from Xceed. Very nice and and cheaper than NovaRossi or RB.

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....086a63b774016e
silverM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

noise and fuel mileage are the benefits along with a longer lasting filter. drawback is a slight loss in power. you could go an entire season w/ one or two filters in an ins box.

try running the box back to back without the box. you will find you need to lean the engine 1/4- 1/2 with the box on with a barely noticeable loss in power.... hence the better fuel mileage.

i would run the box even if it was not mandatory. it gets you tuned in for when it is required. these days engines and pipes are made to recognize the fact ins boxes are required. 9886 pipe.... gone- it was made for no ins box and wide open racing w/ no ins box. three chamber pipes are "in" because they work well w/ ins boxes- thats what they were produced for.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelong View Post
try running the box back to back without the box. you will find you need to lean the engine 1/4- 1/2 with the box on with a barely noticeable loss in power.... hence the better fuel mileage.
Exactly... I was running the car without INS box, and when I installed it, the engine became way richer immediately, simply because fuel/air ratio got higher. I leaned the engine and it was running a little down on power but better on fuel.

I personally dont use it if I dont have to, and if I dont need runtime.

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Hey Guys,

With the INS BOX - 1/8th scale - i notice some have it positioned with the 2 holes facing towards the back of the car and some facing side on!

Whats the best way to position these INS BOX?

Cheers
Frank
Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most people position it to the side since head on could cause a ram air effect that would lean the motor out on the straights.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

cheers for the super fast response - just found many photos from WC in Switzerland and YES to the side many used!

Cheers
Again