Wiki Posts
Search

NovaRossi P5 motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default NovaRossi P5 motors

Just picked a new P5 motor 2 weeks ago and decided to put it into my 1/8th scale buggy since I had time this evening. Installed it into my buggy and tried to fire-it up for the break-in process. It turned over for about 4 seconds and then all of a sudden, it seized. Tried to turn it over again and noticed that the flywheel wouldn't even move. Took the motor out and tried to turn it by hand, it wouldn't move. Took off the back plate, and noticed small pieces of metal. Took of the head and sleeve and it still didn't rotate. Removed the piston/rod, and one side of the piston was toast . Has this happened to anybody else breaking-in P5 novarossi motors ??
Old 01-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: NovaRossi P5 motors

Originally posted by Roger
Just picked a new P5 motor 2 weeks ago and decided to put it into my 1/8th scale buggy since I had time this evening. Installed it into my buggy and tried to fire-it up for the break-in process. It turned over for about 4 seconds and then all of a sudden, it seized. Tried to turn it over again and noticed that the flywheel wouldn't even move. Took the motor out and tried to turn it by hand, it wouldn't move. Took off the back plate, and noticed small pieces of metal. Took of the head and sleeve and it still didn't rotate. Removed the piston/rod, and one side of the piston was toast . Has this happened to anybody else breaking-in P5 novarossi motors ??
I know this is to late, but if you didn't, you should ALWAYS ALWAYS pull down any new motor and clean it thoroughly before running it for the first time. Quite often you will find small metal shavings left over from the manufacturing process. These can obviously cause major damage to your motor like you have described.

Regardless I would return the motor to the distributor for him examine. In most cases like these the distributor will provide the customer with a new Piston, Liner, Rod if it can be shown the goods were faulty.

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

it makes you wonder if the backplate was put in incorrectly.. you know the notch on it? without that the piston slams into the backplate
Old 02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

I had a crappy HPI .12SS motor did the same thing to me. Built the kit started the engine. ran for like ten seconds then it just stopped. Flywheel wouldn't turn. Sure enough something was lodged in-between the piston and sleeve.

Sent it back to HPI, they fixed it, but in a letter with the motor they still tried to claim that it was my fault.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

YOU MUST INSPECT YOUR ENGINE BEFORE STARTING..
Old 02-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Dude, why are you yelling? Its not your motor that got trashed.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

I wasn't.. just in caps so people could read it well.. I don't abide by chat rules or whatever it is you are referring too.. sorry if you took it the wrong way...
Old 02-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

thanks guys for the 411. From now on, I will inspect my new motors before I start them I've sent back the P5 to Trrinity with all required documents and a RNA # for warentee. Its been 3 weeks and I still haven't seen my P5 yet. Still waiting.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

did you send them a nice letter too??? that always helps
Old 02-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

man thats gotta suck

mine ran great from day 1

im kinda lazy i just recently pulled the head for the first time and then only to replace it with the new mugen head

cant wait for racing season

my p5 has 1 season on it already and i fully expect it to last 2 more

probably in the neighborhood of 4 gallons through it and its still so tight i cannot turn the flywheel through the chassis by hand
Old 02-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

how do you like that mugen head?? I have one.. but, haven't used it yet... I like the gun metal color...
Old 02-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

i havent run since i put it on

i got the blue one just because i like blue didnt really need to cool the engine down any

you will probably get to run yours first our offroad season doesnt start till april and i probably wont fire my buggy up untill a day or 2 before the first race

did i mention i cant wait for the nitro racing season to start

im really board to death with my electric touring car how long is winter anyway
Old 02-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

I've been hitting up chilicothe, MO for their indoor offroad track.. electric offroad indoor is fun...
Old 02-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

as of now there is no local place to run indoor offroad

however not only is a place suppose to be opening its supposed to be indoor nitro offroad

and only about 1.5 hours away

but for now its electric touring car on carpet or weekends at home

and dont get me wrong i have fun and i like some of the advantages of electric racing (no flameouts or pitman needed) but im just itching to get back into nitro especially my mbx5

by the way warpig what pipe/header are you using on your p5?

ive been using the rdlogics pipe/header 1 piece set-up and i like it seems to produce alot of torque and speed and fuel economy seems to be good usually 7 minutes or longer to a tank but i would still like to know if there is a combo that may yeild better top-end results

ive also got a waller adapter but i havent needed it since i got the p5
Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

you shouldn't need a waller with that engine... but, I haven't used the rd pipes either.. I run an OS T-2050 right now.. I pretty much always run that pipe... it runs amazing on all my engine.. but, I do have a jammin jp-1 pipe I'm going to try... it looks cool at least

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.