R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by warpig
did you send them a nice letter too??? that always helps
oh yes, I didn't forget that one.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Well guys, I finally got my motor back today and trinity replaced the sleeve and piston at no cost. Just wanted to say " thankyou " to trinity and everybody here that helped me with information on starting a new motor. Now, I have a fresh motor for the U.S. gas champs
Old 03-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
it makes you wonder if the backplate was put in incorrectly.. you know the notch on it? without that the piston slams into the backplate
On the engine service repair document, it reads " make sure piston is up before installing backplate. " Do you think this was the reason why my P5 motor piston shattered ?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:48 PM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I can't imagine the backplate would go on easily if the piston was in the way. Unless you forced it on, then it would probably bend or crack the piston.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've seen it happen many many times.. even by experienced guys
warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #21
Tech Elite

the pistons are almost always cast and brittle.. it doesn't take much
Old 03-04-2004, 07:25 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thats why i never take anything apart untill absolutely necessary
Old 03-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #23
Tech Elite

it's necessary to take a brand new engine apart to check for burrs and loose parts.. etc.. very important
Old 03-05-2004, 06:45 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

apparently not my engine runs great
Old 03-05-2004, 07:01 AM   #25
Tech Elite

It's a risk you took and you trusted in the fact that thing was full of burrs and they all got cleaned out.. majority of them are fine to just start up... but, if you spend $300 or more on an engine with no warranty.. I think it is wise to check... so, don't belittle my advice.. it's good advice... you just have to have knowledge of disassembly...

so, please don't say "apparently not" because until you see someone ruin a brand new engine because of a piece of metal left behind you cannot make a statement like that.. because it's not apparent on just one engine having success
Old 03-06-2004, 04:29 AM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Arrow

Quote:
it's necessary to take a brand new engine apart to check for burrs and loose parts.. etc.. very important
just one question, would you loose the manufacturers warranty if you dissect a brand new engine or its ok since they might never know that you did that
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #27
Tech Elite

most "racing" engines have no warranty.. the ones that do.. you would have to check with them for that...
Old 03-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #28
Tech Elite

WOW, what a fast motor. Broke it in and ran 30%. Lots of power on the bottom and top. Carb. was a little hard to calibrate but once I got the settings right ( 205-215 ), it ran like a champ. I was passing guys in the back stright that were using turbo plugs . Again, Thankyou Trinity for the service and repair.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

Default Pull a brand new engine to pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I know this is to late, but if you didn't, you should ALWAYS ALWAYS pull down any new motor and clean it thoroughly before running it for the first time. Quite often you will find small metal shavings left over from the manufacturing process. These can obviously cause major damage to your motor like you have described.

Regardless I would return the motor to the distributor for him examine. In most cases like these the distributor will provide the customer with a new Piston, Liner, Rod if it can be shown the goods were faulty.

Cheers Alastair
Sorrry quozl, cant agree with you. Pulling a NEW motor apart looking for metal shavings is something that should not have to be done! You dont pay top dollar for a new engine to pull it to bits, or do ya? This is surely a manufacturing issue. Maybe the person on the assembly line had a hang over that day! lol! Maybe the engine company has some quality issues? I have ran several motors in now without any problems, and have had good life out of them all. (OS ENGINES gotta love em!) I work for a company that manufactures transmissions for real full size buggies, the boss would die of heart failure if he thought metal shavings were in our trannys.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adds033 View Post
Sorrry quozl, cant agree with you. Pulling a NEW motor apart looking for metal shavings is something that should not have to be done! You dont pay top dollar for a new engine to pull it to bits, or do ya? This is surely a manufacturing issue. Maybe the person on the assembly line had a hang over that day! lol! Maybe the engine company has some quality issues? I have ran several motors in now without any problems, and have had good life out of them all. (OS ENGINES gotta love em!) I work for a company that manufactures transmissions for real full size buggies, the boss would die of heart failure if he thought metal shavings were in our trannys.
If you disagree with the possible shavings in the motor going unnoticed, did you notice the date that quote was posted was 2004.
fairgo is offline   Reply With Quote