Like Tree195Likes

Novarossi engines thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
Oh boy...
I am by no means here to argue with anyone ! I seen a mention of testing ceramic bearings on a dyno...since I have tested them on a dyno I figured I would share what I found.....nothing more, nothing less..it is what it is I am just relaying what the testing found..this is fact, not opinion...

However with that being said there still can be possibly some gains to be had...The nature of the dyno limits the rate of acceleration of the engine, the dyno has a heavy flywheel that the engine must spool up....Ceramics reduce rotational mass....The gains from reducing rotational mass become more and more noticeable the faster and faster the rate of acceleration of the engine becomes......So in a light car with a 2 speed you may feel the engine spool up a little quicker with ceramics.... But loaded down on the dyno the reduced rotational mass has little effect......
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H
Power isn't driving skills.
Man you got that right.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Lord

I am a little surprised by that. Not saying you're wrong, just a bit surprised. But like I said earlier, my positive results may have just been due to nice, new ceramics vs. old, wore out steel bearings.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wingracer
I am a little surprised by that. Not saying you're wrong, just a bit surprised. But like I said earlier, my positive results may have just been due to nice, new ceramics vs. old, wore out steel bearings.
The engine I tested did have good quality steel bearings in them..Maybe that also had something to do with it...I was kind of disappointed the ceramics didn't show a gain...I will do another test on the next engine I tune on the dyno...This was also on offroad engines...but I do spool many of them to 45000 ..
Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jdesoto
Have you tried any of these motors? I doubt it. Please stop making comments without facts.

We have tested these motors on the track and on the bench. A few things we have observed. The PTS motors are indeed making a little more power than the PT. We see about .1-.2 sec per lap between the PT & PTS. The new engines (PT&PTS) are a little faster than the 2010 engines like the Flash Special or 35 plus Tuned. Some of the advantage comes from the fact that the new engines have a broad power band. They have good bottom end torque but continue to pull longer than the 2010 engines. We were able to run 1 tooth bigger 2nd gear spur so we had better acceleration in the short chutes without losing top speed. We used the same gearing for 1st.
You have compared 2 different engingines, how much do you expect they are excactly the same? Novarossi makes the engine with steel bearings by means a little bit slower so people have to buy the most expensive one If they made excactly the same engines then they know the 100 dollar more expensive engine will not sell.
I was told by 1st hand the ceramic bals they use just cost 11 cent a piece....
If you would be so nice to use 1 engine and change the bearings on that I wonder if you still would notice the difference.

Originally Posted by wingracer
RPM isn't power.
Well, actually RPM is power. It is the goal in the F1 if there were no limits. RPM x Torque = power

Originally Posted by Maximo
I have dyno tested ceramics in several engines now..it shows absolutely no gains.... My dyno is extremely sensitive, it even shows gains from slugging the crank...but ceramics showed absolutely nothing !
A good steel bearing runs better than a bad ceramic one. Every bearing made bij INA, SKF and name them all you can get them in all kind of specs and the specs can tell you every detail of all components in the bearing. I have never seen this with Novarossi so with the current short lifes the original bearings have you can ask the question how good the quality is.....
And yes, I have changed from ceramic to steel also without any issues.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Roelof
Well, actually RPM is power. It is the goal in the F1 if there were no limits. RPM x Torque = power
Yes, RPM x Torque is power, not RPM alone. Simply saying one motor turns 44,800 while another turns 44,900 does not tell you which one makes more power.

I have a motor that will spin over 120,000 rpm but it will not push a 1/8th very fast
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maximo
I have dyno tested ceramics in several engines now..it shows absolutely no gains.... My dyno is extremely sensitive, it even shows gains from slugging the crank...but ceramics showed absolutely nothing !
Have you tried the new Novas? We have done many tests on the track and they are all showing an edge for the double ceramics engines. Nova makes single ceramics versions of all the new engines so if you are not convinced just go for that version and you will save some money, too. Either way the new engines are awesome.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ceramic bearings do make a difference. On the dyno my jp eagle tl3t would turn more rpms but my 353 Murnan tuned felt so much faster on the track. So dyno numbers can be misleading you have to go off of ontrack fill. Midrange is the most important factor in gradeing a engines performance. And I have heard the the new flash motors have alot of midrange. I would never question anybody who when to MIT. Desotoracing is a genius. He is correct ceramic bearings do allow you motor to make more power and spool up harder and faster.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by HoboShop
Ceramic bearings do make a difference. On the dyno my jp eagle tl3t would turn more rpms but my 353 Murnan tuned felt so much faster on the track.
What does that have to do with ceramic bearings? That's two different engines. Also, once again, RPM is NOT power. On the dyno, which one made more POWER over the working rpm range of the motor (area under the curve)?

Yes, dyno numbers can be misleading if you don't know how to read and interpret the graphs. Most people seem to think whatever makes the most peak power is better. Since we don't have CVT's, that is rarely the case.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Tech Lord

Even 2 same engines but from a different production can be different from what I have seen with Novarossi. That could be within the timings and within the used materials.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jdesoto
Have you tried the new Novas? We have done many tests on the track and they are all showing an edge for the double ceramics engines. Nova makes single ceramics versions of all the new engines so if you are not convinced just go for that version and you will save some money, too. Either way the new engines are awesome.
I have not tested the new Nova's...However if you wish to have the new Nova's tested please contact me and we can make some arrangements to have them tested !
Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Which exhaust and manifold are you guys using with the new .21PTS engines ?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, so I want to buy a Nova and I have rounded it down to these three -

Kangaroo
35+21 tuned
Flash tuned (not the 2011)

I will mostly be running on medium size tracks with some complex turns.

I like the price of the Kangeroo but am unsure of the performance againsed the other two motors.

Any thoughts on this? Was maybe gonna run with a long header as my tracks straight isn't too endless. Just to compare, I have been running Mega DS tunes engines in the past.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spillertwo
Which exhaust and manifold are you guys using with the new .21PTS engines ?
2015 with short, or medium manifold.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by JIM1
Ok, so I want to buy a Nova and I have rounded it down to these three -

Kangaroo
35+21 tuned
Flash tuned (not the 2011)

I will mostly be running on medium size tracks with some complex turns.
I think you will have enough with the 35+ engine, for sure the tuned runs almost like a Flash. If you want the best then the Flash is the way to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.