R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 02-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Also keep in mind that engines with lower rpm's do not have the same material rods as the faster ones. Novarossi did number them in strength and currently I have seen R2 up to R7.

The R2 is placed in a Basic N21-3T and from own experience I can say it won't last long if you tune up the engine to the performance of the high priced competition models. I have seen R3 and R4 rods in offroads and the R5 and R7 are used in onroads, the R6 is a special model for JP.

Changing rods is cost effective on 600+ dollar priced engines, waiting until it breakes will cost more....
Old 02-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Also keep in mind that engines with lower rpm's do not have the same material rods as the faster ones. Novarossi did number them in strength and currently I have seen R2 up to R7.

The R2 is placed in a Basic N21-3T and from own experience I can say it won't last long if you tune up the engine to the performance of the high priced competition models. I have seen R3 and R4 rods in offroads and the R5 and R7 are used in onroads, the R6 is a special model for JP.

Changing rods is cost effective on 600+ dollar priced engines, waiting until it breakes will cost more....
Point taken.
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk t View Post
My point goes back to my earlier comment (which I guess I didn't articulate correctly) that IMO changing a rod as preventive maintenance too often or too early in life will accelerate the wear on the crank & wrist pins.
I don't really disagree with that since the better Nova rods on short tracks last a LONG time. Changing them every gallon in those conditions is overkill. However, long tracks or non Nova rods need constant replacement or catastrophic failures will result.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

thanx to everybody that give a brilliant opininion and supportive comment...well i guess...im gonna stick with replacement of con-rod for every1-2 gallon...im an on-road racer...and i always run my engine a little rich...i dont like to tune my engine to the max limit...just nice to get the power then i will be concerntrating on other parts such as clutch system, pinion and spur gear to get race performance...

plus at my LHS i can get him to replace my con-rod and the pin at the sam time ...it's better isn't it?.......thanx guys...
abul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Can anyone point me toward a how-to on changing a rod? It's a novarossi if that makes any difference.
automator is offline   Reply With Quote