R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 12-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default More power means more fuel consumption??

In XRC's latest issue, the offroad LRP ZR .21X is reviewed. The engine has some potency to be sure (it broke the record for peak horsepower and has decent power even after the peak) but there's one sentence that didn't quite sound right to me. I've still got a lot to learn in this hobby and wanted to hear thoughts on this quote:

"The downside to all that power is that fuel consumption is going to be near Hummer-like proportions..."

If you take an engine and run it rich, it'll produce less power and consume more fuel. If you lean it to where it should be, it'll produce more power and consume less fuel right? But if you are comparing engine X to engine Y, is the one that produces more power likely to consume more fuel?
Arboleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Regardless of whether the fuel mixture is rich or lean, a more powerful engine tends to make that power by pulling more of said mixture through the engine.
meinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboleda View Post
In XRC's latest issue, the offroad LRP ZR .21X is reviewed. The engine has some potency to be sure (it broke the record for peak horsepower and has decent power even after the peak) but there's one sentence that didn't quite sound right to me. I've still got a lot to learn in this hobby and wanted to hear thoughts on this quote:

"The downside to all that power is that fuel consumption is going to be near Hummer-like proportions..."

If you take an engine and run it rich, it'll produce less power and consume more fuel. If you lean it to where it should be, it'll produce more power and consume less fuel right? But if you are comparing engine X to engine Y, is the one that produces more power likely to consume more fuel?

what was the power output of the motor ? I am curious ?
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

User experiences will tell me more than a power diagram.....

But no, power is not always related to fuelconsumption, even some modified engines are able to run longer on 1 tank of fuel. With all 2 stroke engines the exhaust is the most important part depending power and consumption.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
User experiences will tell me more than a power diagram.....

But no, power is not always related to fuelconsumption, even some modified engines are able to run longer on 1 tank of fuel. With all 2 stroke engines the exhaust is the most important part depending power and consumption.
absolutely.... finely tuning an engines loop scavenging effect can make more power by blowing less fuel out of the tune pipe leaving more in the combustion chamber to burn....my internal sleeve mods do exactly that....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
The peak horsepower was 1.86 @ 22,250 rpm and 82.18 oz.-in of torque at 23,250 rpm. From there, the power trails off as follows:

At 30,000 rpm you've got 1.30 horsepower.
At 35,000 rpm you've got 1.00 horsepower.
At 40,000 rpm you've got 1.00 horsepower.

Note that the engine was still turning 1.00 horsepower at 43,000 RPM where they stopped the dyno.
Arboleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Mark, I have one of these -it's a monster...I used it at the Vics, with the 7mm insert and 60% throttle I was still passing people

And Arboleda, don't worry, fuel mileage is NOT a problem