Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Funny Mega   Nova>Picco>Nova and Picco >

Funny Mega Nova>Picco>Nova and Picco

Funny Mega Nova>Picco>Nova and Picco

Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default Funny Mega Nova>Picco>Nova and Picco

Everytime I come here is seeing people talking tecnichal stuff. Why not bring out some interesting RC topic.

I think this is funny and it give me an experience for life.

When the time Mega switch to Picco enigne. The boss of Serpent released an column saying due to the higher and higher price of Novarossi which make less people will enjoy racing and unable to be competitive then people have better finanical support. End up will be making the RC section going down hill. Ba ba ba..... He has his theory. So, they decided to switch from Novarossi to Picco as their engine supplier. Hope to help out the RC market.
Now they are keep on releasing Nova base enignes and the price is even higher then before. Isn't this is conflict with that column?

I know.. things change even the boss. Doing business according to the business environment. That is reasonable. What I leanred from that example is do not say it too early. Even if I this is what I really feel, keep it inside. Doing business is not like going out with friends. No need to express the emotion. No need to say more then necessary.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Lord

I do feel the same. The Mega line started already with a lot of problems and it has taken over a year introducing the DS-II which seems to be a better engine compared with the crap they did try to sell before.
To give the customers some trust they rebadged the MAX motor to a Mega-MF and that one is more expensive than a normal MAX engine but strainge enough peaple wants to buy them....

One of the writings was we drive the same what we sell... yeah... right....
Why were the teammotors sounding more like a Novarossi while customers with the same pipe and car did not get the same sound ?
With the same slogan they promised no KHM (or any other tuner) version will show the market and last year B-EC there were the Edoardo engines which are now normally available.
OK, as you said there is a new boss and maybe a new policy.

I have driven a lot of brands and for sure no other brand can give the lifespan and quality as Novarossi does (and so also their sub-brands).
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Everyone has a different budget when it comes to R/C racing. What is "expensive" is really in the eye of the buyer. For some, spending $400-600 on an engine is lunch money. For those that don't have that type of budget, anything below $300 is good enough. $300-400 seems like a good range for an above average or modded sub $300 engine.

At the pro-level, Novarossi and Novarossi-based engines seem to be doing really well. The Novarossi 353, Mega MF and MaxPower SL3 engines have beat out the competition at a lot of big events. But no matter how well the engine performs - setup, engine/clutch tuning, driving and finishing still determine who wins the race.

To me, it makes sense for a company to carry different product lines that fit different budgets. There is no need to be budget minded at the expense of performance and only carry budget priced engines. Some people may argue that Novarossi based engines are "overpriced" - but it's hard to argue that point when it beats out the less expensive competition.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

i think mugen said the same thing and dropped JP coz of price and now are ninja witch is a cheaper motor.
and kyosho was or still is using sirio witch is cheap too.

i myself will not get another $500.00 motor, its just way to much money
and what iv seen this year where i run,my ninja is just as or faster than the mf,max,jp and novarossi motors.
but with that said i would not get a red dot what iv seen with this motor its not that good but it is good for $200.00 id get it over an os if my budget was at that level.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof

I have driven a lot of brands and for sure no other brand can give the lifespan and quality as Novarossi does (and so also their sub-brands).
except Picco
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm not a pro level driver so even if a had a $600 plus motor I'm still not going to make the "A". I personally like the Piccos since they got there durability up. .21's go for around $300 us and the .12's under $200. That is about all I'm willing to spend on a engine. I don't care if I'm not fast enough to make the A at a big event I'll have fun racing people of like skill level.

BTW I have a red dot and for the money it is hard to beat. No problems at all.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

thats what i like to read

its all about having fun.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

For me... nothing better than Sirio ones... reliable, cheaper than competitors and quicker than a raped ape.

Mine Evo III worked flawless (yep... break in was like 4 PITA but... once the beast has been broken in and the brutal pinch is gone, tears the track).

I would like to have a reason to switch to Ninja ones, but... mine Sirios didn't gave me a reason, so the EVO 4 are on the wishlist for christmas (STI versions, please)...
Old 09-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The sirio evo 4 is insanely fast, jilles groskamp used it at the last dutch nationals.
We have a speed trap in the track and he reached 110Km/h
He did have trouble making the 5 minutes though.

For me it's the JP stock engines, with the 2602 pipe and the ifmar crankshaft these engines are also really fast. On top end no one will pass me, i can overtake guy's with mf engine and last race i was faster on the straight then a 353 engine. And that for a engine which cost half of it.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Tech Lord

My first Sirio (and maybe my last) was a R&B Xenon-R, just a normal engine made by Sirio.

An investigation by my sponsor (he has a metal company and is specialized in precise enginering) did learn the crankshaft was a lot softer than Novarossi crankshafts and they warned me for the crankpin. After 4 liters the crankpin was already 0.03mm smaller and I doubt it would reach 10 liters.
Did get a new conrod and the hole for the crankpin was to small. Did drill it up to the right size and it lasted 1 liter. This 2 problems I had with the engine beside the stories about bad bearings do tell me it is no quality.....

Now I have a JP Eagle and it goes like hell......
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

My first Sirio (and maybe my last) was a R&B Xenon-R, just a normal engine made by Sirio.
So, after 1 bad experience with Sirio based engines, you will never get them again?....
That you (your sponsor) bought the first Mega ZX engine really surprised me, but indeed it wasn't a reliable product, although I didn't really had to much troubles with it (expect for the flame-out problem).
The Picco P7-R, which was the same, also was of the same quality, Pico, had a bad period....

I've seen you break your 35+ within 12 liters (4 gallons) and you broke many more Nova based engines, way earlier then wanted....

Novarossi has a reliability problem at the moment, but I am sure they will solve this in time....

Like rmdhawaii said it is good that a company carries product to suite different budgets, like Ninja has 2 engine lines now, 1 affordable, and 1 ... less affordable.

The JP 9 ports engine also has problems, like all 9 ports engines have, the liner with these 9 ports in it, is not that strong anymore.
You will propably never see a Picco or Ninja engine break there liner, because they are 7 ports.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by M7H
So, after 1 bad experience with Sirio based engines, you will never get them again?....
That you (your sponsor) bought the first Mega ZX engine really surprised me, but indeed it wasn't a reliable product, although I didn't really had to much troubles with it (expect for the flame-out problem).
The Picco P7-R, which was the same, also was of the same quality, Pico, had a bad period....
Yes, that ZX engine lasted only 1 race and then it had lost his compression.
Regarding my Xenon, if the crankshaft is softer and it hapens what was forecasted then it is not a quality issue but a choice of production to produce it cheap. If then a new conrod does not fit can imagine it is a fault in production. But if you read the bearings are also weak (what could be a fuel issue) then 1+1+1 is a lot.....

I've seen you break your 35+ within 12 liters (4 gallons) and you broke many more Nova based engines, way earlier then wanted....
Novarossi has a reliability problem at the moment, but I am sure they will solve this in time....
Yes, there is a quality issue at this moment, the bearings are weak but I believe it is only regarding the 25.8x14.5 bearing which are used in the Collari and the 359. Market protection by using/changing your own messurements seems a bad thing.
My 35+ lasted 12 liters, maybe to soon but if you take out maximum I think it is a reasonable life.
Yes, a R&B C5-Rody which did not last 3 liters for a worn out piston, 2 JP 2003 teamspec engines with maximum tuning and 7 liters of life and a R&B C5 not replacing the conrod after 7 liters... are examples of the last years where only one engine was my fault.

Like rmdhawaii said it is good that a company carries product to suite different budgets, like Ninja has 2 engine lines now, 1 affordable, and 1 ... less affordable.
Look at the "standard" Ninja engines. They are out-of-the-box not the most competive engines and the MRT version is expensive and needs an aluminium coolinghead extra to be safe in hotter weather so it seems.....

The JP 9 ports engine also has problems, like all 9 ports engines have, the liner with these 9 ports in it, is not that strong anymore.
You will propably never see a Picco or Ninja engine break there liner, because they are 7 ports.
Bullsh*t, only a few stories about the 35+ are known. It is almost the most used engine in the Dutch nationals and so far 1 or 2 known stories.
It is all about vibrations and how many flesh you let stay between the poorts. JP is known for breaking cylinders and thats only with his "team engines" which are maximum tuned. The Eagle has now 6 liters and still going strong and inside there is enough material on the cylinder.
Vibrations are not only caused inside the engine but also outside like a clutch, so breaking cylinders is not only the factory his fault.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

My 35+ lasted 12 liters, maybe to soon but if you take out maximum I think it is a reasonable life.
Yes, a R&B C5-Rody which did not last 3 liters for a worn out piston, 2 JP 2003 teamspec engines with maximum tuning and 7 liters of life and a R&B C5 not replacing the conrod after 7 liters... are examples of the last years where only one engine was my fault.
And you find that acceptable, for engines with those pricetags?.....
12 liters on an engine is acceptable to me, if the piston liner is worn to much to give maximum performance, but not if (like in your case) the piston shatters into pieces.....

Mind you that also Hans D had a conrod failure with his 35+, which then also damaged the liner....
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Lord

Difficult to read my text or selective ?
I am not happy with the life of my 35+ but I am also not disapointed.

What bothers me more is a far expensive C5-rody (750 euro) with exhaust in one box does not perform as it must be, a simple JP R01 Stock goes faster. No warranty, "there was dirt in the engine".. yeah... right....
The distributer did help me getting warranty and a new set and bearing did exactly the same so there must be something wrong with the design of the engine which Rody did not want to admit.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

my ninja is just as fast or faster than a max SL3 the mrt is ya way more money but if tuned right its way faster.