Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Kyosho CRF

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default v2007

I ran Orion 2007 version. Mine is already dead, but couple of my friends still run those . If the track you're runnin' in isn't crampy - this motor is really awesome. Otherwise it's a bit tricky to drive with late engaging clutch in VERY tight turns.

Maybe it's a good thing to reset it to factory settings when you get it out of the box - mine was off.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

Lokanas, how many liters has your engine run? weird to hear that it's dead?

About the clutch, CRF test track is as "crampy" as it gets. The 2007 has more low end so it should not be a problem on any track.

Nano
Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nano

About the clutch, CRF test track is as "crampy" as it gets. The 2007 has more low end so it should not be a problem on any track.

Nano
i loved this engine on the 2006 tourer worlds track..can't complain
Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nano

Nano
I ran around 3.5L (tornado 16%). It was overheating (or running hotter comparing to other CRF's) since the very run-in. I never found out the reason, but never let the engine run too lean. Checked for air leaks several times - found none.
Anyway, the engine helped me to win couple races so i never blamed it Probably i just overlooked something in settings and that was a killing factor.

The very "worst temp" it ever get was 147C (i know it's already a bit too much). Usually it ran ~107-120C (and boy i had to richen it to keep the temp down).

PM me for details if you want.

No matter what happened to mine - i really liked the engine. Nice piece of machinery and revvy powerband
Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Nano,
Could you give any input on this one?
http://rctech.net/forum/attachment.p...5&d=1187032164
Is piston to far out of cylinder and i have to put a new set in, or should i just try to work with carb settings to get idl more stable?
As at the moment, after it gets hot, it just flames out of throttle all the time.
At the same time, idl is perfect, when temp is low, as soon motor gets ~5min of track time, flame out happens.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I can get this engine for $264 + shipping. Anybody know where I can get it cheaper.

BTW.. I do want the Kyosho version.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

yesterday, i have run in my new kyosho engine.
factory setup whas total bad, engine did not run.
i must srew out hsn and lsn.
after break in, engine are powerfull but after running 5 tanks
engine flame out
i change clutch setup, but he same problem.
after flame out, engine restart ok, good idle. temp not over 100°C
can anyone help me??
dieter
PS:i drive a mugen mtx4 wc, kyosho crf engine with kyosho pipe
Old 08-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 4racer
yesterday, i have run in my new kyosho engine.
factory setup whas total bad, engine did not run.
i must srew out hsn and lsn.
after break in, engine are powerfull but after running 5 tanks
engine flame out
i change clutch setup, but he same problem.
after flame out, engine restart ok, good idle. temp not over 100°C
can anyone help me??
dieter
PS:i drive a mugen mtx4 wc, kyosho crf engine with kyosho pipe

you need to tune it man. go very rich, then see what it does, then go very lean so you know how the engine acts at both extremes.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Anyone in the U.S. carry this engine yet ?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kaotickc
Anyone in the U.S. carry this engine yet ?
anyone found that the screw that holds the carby pinch bolt doesn't hold the carby tight enough?

i thightened down my carburetor after it came loose, and had another look at it today, and i was able to move it with my hand

why did CRF/Kyosho use such a thin screw, with a small head on it? (1.5mm head with the screw diameter being 2mm i think)

i sealed up the carby with gasket sealant as well as sealing up the pinch bolt but if you use alot of brakes i can see the thing coming loose eventually again
Old 09-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
anyone found that the screw that holds the carby pinch bolt doesn't hold the carby tight enough?

i thightened down my carburetor after it came loose, and had another look at it today, and i was able to move it with my hand

why did CRF/Kyosho use such a thin screw, with a small head on it? (1.5mm head with the screw diameter being 2mm i think)

i sealed up the carby with gasket sealant as well as sealing up the pinch bolt but if you use alot of brakes i can see the thing coming loose eventually again
That's what you get for putting a Kyosho engine in a Mugen!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This has happened to a few people, including myself. Here is why:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...31#post3328931

The retaining doesn't work like it does on other engines. Once the glue cracks, trying to tighten the retaining screw so that the carb won't rotate will just strip the screw. I've done this twice already. First time because I thought the screw worked like other screws. Second time because I didn't know about the glue thing.

I haven't gotten around to fixing it again because I've been running the STI. Nano didn't say what specific glue to use, so I'm hoping JB Weld (slow cure) will do the trick. I'll probably get around to it next weekend.

BTW.. You have to cut off the insulator to get it off.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
This has happened to a few people, including myself. Here is why:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...31#post3328931

The retaining doesn't work like it does on other engines. Once the glue cracks, trying to tighten the retaining screw so that the carb won't rotate will just strip the screw. I've done this twice already. First time because I thought the screw worked like other screws. Second time because I didn't know about the glue thing.

I haven't gotten around to fixing it again because I've been running the STI. Nano didn't say what specific glue to use, so I'm hoping JB Weld (slow cure) will do the trick. I'll probably get around to it next weekend.

BTW.. You have to cut off the insulator to get it off.
ok i'm hoping the glue hasn't cracked. i've already sealed up the carby, so i don't want to tear it apart, and im hoping kyosho remedied the problem already....still not sure why they used such a stupid little fricken screw!!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

ok i'm hoping the glue hasn't cracked. i've already sealed up the carby, so i don't want to tear it apart, and im hoping kyosho remedied the problem already....still not sure why they used such a stupid little fricken screw!!
Damn that sucks! I also don't wanna have to dremel my motor to make it fit! Has anyone successfully put this motor into an MTX4R without modification? I don't want to have to shim it up either
Old 09-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CraigM
Damn that sucks! I also don't wanna have to dremel my motor to make it fit! Has anyone successfully put this motor into an MTX4R without modification? I don't want to have to shim it up either
if you have a standard sway bar on the 4 you won't have to dremel the middle needle head, but you will still have to dremel the carby so the break disk does not hit.

yeah, i guess having the name kyosho on it, maybe they did the design on purpose to piss mugen guys off

Last edited by TomB; 09-11-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.