R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 04-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #16
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
would you consider a Picco JLR "Red-Dot" for $179?
you should
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
would you consider a Picco JLR "Red-Dot" for $179?
I second that.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Dickson
I second that.
yes
Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
you should
100% its fast and is just as fast as the nova if your tune it right and have the right gearing.
Michael P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P
100% its fast and is just as fast as the nova if your tune it right and have the right gearing.
It's about the same power from what I've seen. Novarossi = big price for a name right now. Picco used to have some problems, but no longer.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendude
if he is willing to pay for the plus 12 i would get that much better engine
That's brilliant. The guys says he's a newbie and you recommend one of the fastest engines out there to begin with.

That's an easy way to get people out of the hobby.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P
Why are you using Burito's avatar. That's confusing!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:52 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentd
It's about 4 liters equals a gallon. So replace rod every 4-6 liters.

i see...thanks.As for the thread,i would recommend the os max for a new user of rc car.this was my first engine as well and i still have it without changing a simple part of it.On the other hand the Novarossi which was my new engine after the os max,is far a better engine,but if you buy that engine as a newbie you won't have in the future any desire to feel sth faster.go for the os,you won't regret it.Moreover the spare parts of the TZ P 3 are much cheaper from Novarossi.It has a lot of tourque and if you gear your car with long teeth set up you'll have top end as well.Be patience and go for a better angine after some months of use with your os max.There are a lot of things that you must learn about tuning,temperatures,plugs,clutch set up etc...it does not worth to try all this new stuff for you on a Novarossi!
nickiphorosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Dynamite

stock os12 tz is great motor in bang for your buck. and if your new its only 200$ so if you make some mistake tuning or running to hot etc its only cost you 200$ rather then paying for the nova name

my last motor was a std tz and i ran it on small the medium sized tracks and there was nothing in it between others i was racing against with very expensive donks, so you wont be dissapointed if you choose this motor.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

I hate to break the news to everyone, but Novarossi is MORE then a name! You get endless performance, life span and most of all reliability. If the performance is the same accross the board as the cheaper motors, why do some of you own them that are saying this? I agree that the 12-3 is not for a beginner, it's tune is much too delicate. You NEED excperience to tune these engines Great. Not just good...but great. Most racers can tune an engine good, but that number drops quit a bit when you talk about tuning a Nova GREAT. I'm not knocking an inexpensive motor by any means. Especially the OS TZ. Great motor. Sounds as though the JBL Red Dot is also. Not all motors are designed for all tracks either. Small to medium tracks wouldn't need a JP modified for example. But get on a larger track and watch them walk away form the cheaper motors. If your TZ is keeping up with good Nova, then the person driving the Nova needs to work on either his tuning or his driving skill, not his power issues. In fact, lots of racers would actually be faster with a milder engine. Sorry to go off everyone. I'm not trying to upset anyone or point my fingers at anyone at all, here or anywhere for that matter. Not ALWAYS, but usually you get what you pay for. Some engines are more expensive for a reason. Name plays a small part, but those names have also created a reputation and reliability factor and are worth the extra $$. Nova, RB are not more money just because of the name. OK, I'll shut up. Not trying to open a can of worms guys, just making a small point. By the way, I own a few cheapies too. I think I'm tired and need to go to bed now.

By the way, I still recommend the TZ as I mentioned earlier. It does ROCK for the price. Later guys and gals.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you so much guys! I think ill go with TZ.. Fyi.. ill install it on an underdog.. which is the CEN CT4R.. (i had.. the CT5.. enjoyed it so much.. so ill try the CT4R)

BUT this JUNE... ill get the NOVA for my NT1 (will get it from HK) - But just looking at the design.. and the details of the NT1.. i think im just gonna display it.. heheheheheheh

stefan - tnx for the concern..

this is a great nitro RC community!

Tnx guys!
mrwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
I hate to break the news to everyone, but Novarossi is MORE then a name! You get endless performance, life span and most of all reliability. If the performance is the same accross the board as the cheaper motors, why do some of you own them that are saying this? I agree that the 12-3 is not for a beginner, it's tune is much too delicate. You NEED excperience to tune these engines Great. Not just good...but great. Most racers can tune an engine good, but that number drops quit a bit when you talk about tuning a Nova GREAT. I'm not knocking an inexpensive motor by any means. Especially the OS TZ. Great motor. Sounds as though the JBL Red Dot is also. Not all motors are designed for all tracks either. Small to medium tracks wouldn't need a JP modified for example. But get on a larger track and watch them walk away form the cheaper motors. If your TZ is keeping up with good Nova, then the person driving the Nova needs to work on either his tuning or his driving skill, not his power issues. In fact, lots of racers would actually be faster with a milder engine. Sorry to go off everyone. I'm not trying to upset anyone or point my fingers at anyone at all, here or anywhere for that matter. Not ALWAYS, but usually you get what you pay for. Some engines are more expensive for a reason. Name plays a small part, but those names have also created a reputation and reliability factor and are worth the extra $$. Nova, RB are not more money just because of the name. OK, I'll shut up. Not trying to open a can of worms guys, just making a small point. By the way, I own a few cheapies too. I think I'm tired and need to go to bed now.

By the way, I still recommend the TZ as I mentioned earlier. It does ROCK for the price. Later guys and gals.
Well said!
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #28

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

What motor is in there now? And this is on a cen car? I would look into a budget budget motor. Im not sure if getting a fast motor for a newbie would be a good thing or not.

Youll probably go faster with a slower motor. Then once you get the hang of that motor then possibly buy the tz. Id just run what you have now. You put in a tz and go racing your first time , its not going to be good.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Not all motors are designed for all tracks either. Small to medium tracks wouldn't need a JP modified for example. But get on a larger track and watch them walk away form the cheaper motors. If your TZ is keeping up with good Nova, then the person driving the Nova needs to work on either his tuning or his driving skill, not his power issues.

I didn't see any nova's or jp's (or any other motor for that matter) "walking away" from the OS Speed 12TZ that won the GLC in Toledo last year. Would you consider this a "larger track"? Hmmm...

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
I hate to break the news to everyone, but Novarossi is MORE then a name! You get endless performance, life span and most of all reliability. If the performance is the same accross the board as the cheaper motors, why do some of you own them that are saying this? I agree that the 12-3 is not for a beginner, it's tune is much too delicate. You NEED excperience to tune these engines Great. Not just good...but great. Most racers can tune an engine good, but that number drops quit a bit when you talk about tuning a Nova GREAT. I'm not knocking an inexpensive motor by any means. Especially the OS TZ. Great motor. Sounds as though the JBL Red Dot is also. Not all motors are designed for all tracks either. Small to medium tracks wouldn't need a JP modified for example. But get on a larger track and watch them walk away form the cheaper motors. If your TZ is keeping up with good Nova, then the person driving the Nova needs to work on either his tuning or his driving skill, not his power issues. In fact, lots of racers would actually be faster with a milder engine. Sorry to go off everyone. I'm not trying to upset anyone or point my fingers at anyone at all, here or anywhere for that matter. Not ALWAYS, but usually you get what you pay for. Some engines are more expensive for a reason. Name plays a small part, but those names have also created a reputation and reliability factor and are worth the extra $$. Nova, RB are not more money just because of the name.
You said what most of us were thinking anyway!

Besides, take a look at what most of our signatures say we run..!