R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
I would go with the Murnan#1 and would def stay away from the EB MODS and JIM HOTTINGER mods they do nothing to the crank and this is the mod you will get for 100.00 or up from them

crap, no blue printing and so on..

I have run several of Jim's engines and every one has ran great. You are correct that he does nothing with the crank, but I have had great success with his engines. I can also say this. I have seen several of Uriah's engines run. They all ran fine. I have talked to him at a few races and he seems like a great guy. I got one and it was the worst engine I have owned. I will chalk it up to me not getting it right as like I said I have seen plenty of them run well.

Calling his work crap is pretty harsh. You know he basically was doing all Paris racing engines for the last few years of Paris racing.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #17
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I have run several of Jim's engines and every one has ran great. You are correct that he does nothing with the crank, but I have had great success with his engines. I can also say this. I have seen several of Uriah's engines run. They all ran fine. I have talked to him at a few races and he seems like a great guy. I got one and it was the worst engine I have owned. I will chalk it up to me not getting it right as like I said I have seen plenty of them run well.

Calling his work crap is pretty harsh. You know he basically was doing all Paris racing engines for the last few years of Paris racing.
What engine did you get from Uriah? Why was it the worst engine you have owned?

When I've contracted Uriah directly, he has always been very helpful and supportive - even before I bought an engine from him. What did Uriah have to say about your issues?
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I have run several of Jim's engines and every one has ran great. You are correct that he does nothing with the crank, but I have had great success with his engines. I can also say this. I have seen several of Uriah's engines run. They all ran fine. I have talked to him at a few races and he seems like a great guy. I got one and it was the worst engine I have owned. I will chalk it up to me not getting it right as like I said I have seen plenty of them run well.

Calling his work crap is pretty harsh. You know he basically was doing all Paris racing engines for the last few years of Paris racing.
That's the first time I've seen anyone mention a problem with a Murnan engine.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #19
Tech Regular
 
MRX4-R03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SA,TX
Posts: 318
Default

Calling his work crap is pretty harsh. You know he basically was doing all Paris racing engines for the last few years of Paris racing.
Scott

I dont mean his work is crap, I am just saying he charges 125.00 for modding and all you get is a cut on sleeve I think that is crap..
Have you seen what Murnan does for 100.00, he does work not a cut and I dont mean it in a bad way, that is just the way I see it..
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
MRX4-R03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SA,TX
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
What engine did you get from Uriah? Why was it the worst engine you have owned?

When I've contracted Uriah directly, he has always been very helpful and supportive - even before I bought an engine from him. What did Uriah have to say about your issues?
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #21
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
What engine did you get from Uriah? Why was it the worst engine you have owned?

When I've contracted Uriah directly, he has always been very helpful and supportive - even before I bought an engine from him. What did Uriah have to say about your issues?

I got a Mugen X12 from him. It ran the engine hotter than any of the other novarossi engines I owned, it used more gas and made less power. At this point (well after the fact) I am fairly certain I needed to lean it out even more. Problem was it was already running as hot or hotter than I liked running the NS series engines. I felt that it would really shorten the life of the engine running hotter.

I spoke to him briefly and he always seemed willing to help out with anything but I didn't really go to far with it. I sold the engine and went back to what works for me.

Like I said, I have seen plenty of his engines run just fine. The ones I have seen run well, I don't think are any better than anybody else's engine, but they ran fine. I really don't want to turn this thread into a thread about Uriah or his engines. I was more upset that I felt somebody that has been very good to me was being attacked, so I responded a bit childlike by attacking back.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #22
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for providing the details Scott. I think that clears things up.
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default

so if my JLR "Red-Dot" is brand spanking new and I send him $100 and the engien I can have it modfied?
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
Osiris 75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Converse, TX
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
so if my JLR "Red-Dot" is brand spanking new and I send him $100 and the engien I can have it modfied?
$150
__________________
SPONSORS: AWESOMATIX USA / HOBBYWING USA / AVID CONCEPTS / R1 WURKS / POWERMASTER FUELS (VP RACING) / 2MM DESIGNS
RC TARGET/CAPRICORN USA / REFLEX RACING / ULTI TIRES

Chris Kemper
Osiris 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #25
Tech Master
 
rcrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere Delicious
Posts: 1,281
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution
Default

i was just wondering, cause from what I hear that engine has a ton of balls stock.
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I got a Mugen X12 from him. It ran the engine hotter than any of the other novarossi engines I owned, it used more gas and made less power. At this point (well after the fact) I am fairly certain I needed to lean it out even more. Problem was it was already running as hot or hotter than I liked running the NS series engines. I felt that it would really shorten the life of the engine running hotter.

I spoke to him briefly and he always seemed willing to help out with anything but I didn't really go to far with it. I sold the engine and went back to what works for me.

Like I said, I have seen plenty of his engines run just fine. The ones I have seen run well, I don't think are any better than anybody else's engine, but they ran fine. I really don't want to turn this thread into a thread about Uriah or his engines. I was more upset that I felt somebody that has been very good to me was being attacked, so I responded a bit childlike by attacking back.
Weird because I have a Mugen X12 right now that is modded by JP Racing. To make a long story short it doesn't have these symptoms. I am not sure what mods Murnan does and what mods JP does specifically.
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #27
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
i was just wondering, cause from what I hear that engine has a ton of balls stock.
Any quality stock engine would. In the hands of a capable driver anyhow. There's just something really sweet about having a killer modded engine though
__________________
Kyosho V-One RRR - JP Modified Mugen X12 - GQ Racing Tires - Futaba servos - KO Helios w/Spektrum Pro - Maxy's Fuel
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR for fun times
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #28
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,767
Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout
Default

I need someone that will mod a used engine, good running used engine.
__________________
Caster Racing USA Dirt Oval
Hyperdrive
Tekin
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #29
Moderator
 
mxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victorville, CA USA
Posts: 429
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
I would go with the Murnan#1 and would def stay away from the EB MODS and JIM HOTTINGER mods they do nothing to the crank and this is the mod you will get for 100.00 or up from them

crap, no blue printing and so on..
Here is modding
MRX4, can you please explain 'blue printing'?

Remember my favorite saying--'you can polish a turd all you want, but you'll still end up with a turd in the end, albeit a shiny turd, but a turd none the less!'

By the way, in EB's defense, He is pretty serious about his craft and he recently added an Xdyno to his line of equipment. I expect very good things from him in the near future.

BK
__________________
Brian Kinney
TLR Design Engineer
2016 Sponsors: Team Losi Racing, AKA Tires, Orion, Nitrotane, Horizon Hobbies, Fast RC Paint.
mxwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #30
Tech Regular
 
MRX4-R03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SA,TX
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwrench
MRX4, can you please explain 'blue printing'?

Remember my favorite saying--'you can polish a turd all you want, but you'll still end up with a turd in the end, albeit a shiny turd, but a turd none the less!'

By the way, in EB's defense, He is pretty serious about his craft and he recently added an Xdyno to his line of equipment. I expect very good things from him in the near future.

BK
No mxwrench I cannot explain blue printing,
I said what I said earlier because I have had 2 tz.12 in my one eb .12 and the other box stock and have measured the crank, bore, and not a DAME thing was different from them but the flow ramp, and as the for sleeve ok he did touch it. Now you tell me is that worth the money
I am done with this tread, I just wanted to post my 2 cents on rip off modders..
MRX4-R03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor Rebuilders/Tuners hrnts69 Electric On-Road 4 12-24-2007 09:21 AM
Will there be motor tuners at Birds? Ginsu Electric On-Road 4 11-17-2005 06:50 AM
.21 engine tuners click, dublin Nitro On-Road 4 12-10-2003 04:46 PM
any engine tuners out there? rodneybarrett Nitro On-Road 11 08-12-2003 03:41 AM
Serious gas engine question. pro engine tuners look here Ron Nitro On-Road 28 11-13-2001 04:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net