Like Tree5Likes

head mods

Old 02-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

What ive found with taking out fro the Geo Dome is you get a few things happen

1 Lower geometric compression = Higher RPM and slichtly less torque

2 Cooler temps from the head

3 Greater turbulence in the cylinder which promotes responce and fuel economy

To what degree of improvements depends on the individual situation. I tried the Multi cut about 4 years ago with a P5 off road engine , I cut about 4 head buttons and each week i gauged their results by swapping out for each race meet. I did this with a standard and turbo button and found the greatest gains from a single notch in a turbo facing the exhaust.. BUT ! i tried a 3 notch in a standard head button.. 1 in the front above the front intake port and 2 on a 45 deg andgle towards the exhaust. I then cut back the head button .2 mm to reduce its standard ratio and took a .2 shim to bring it back.. ..

I was a mennace ! it sounded like a rotary engine lol It created a lot of torque and great top end .. But rear bearings and rods wore very quickly..

MM
Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 AM
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MassiveMods
i tried a 3 notch in a standard head button.. 1 in the front above the front intake port and 2 on a 45 deg angled towards the exhaust. I then cut back the head button .2 mm to reduce its standard ratio and took a .2 shim to bring it back.. ..

I was a menace ! it sounded like a rotary engine lol It created a lot of torque and great top end .. But rear bearings and rods wore very quickly..

MM
Bro u meant u shaved the button to .02mm and u added .02 shim ?. Did any timing problems arise with the notch facing the front intake?. What was the average fuel consumption b4 the bearings or conrod starts to show signs of wear?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MassiveMods View Post
What ive found with taking out fro the Geo Dome is you get a few things happen

1 Lower geometric compression = Higher RPM and slichtly less torque

2 Cooler temps from the head

3 Greater turbulence in the cylinder which promotes responce and fuel economy

To what degree of improvements depends on the individual situation. I tried the Multi cut about 4 years ago with a P5 off road engine , I cut about 4 head buttons and each week i gauged their results by swapping out for each race meet. I did this with a standard and turbo button and found the greatest gains from a single notch in a turbo facing the exhaust.. BUT ! i tried a 3 notch in a standard head button.. 1 in the front above the front intake port and 2 on a 45 deg andgle towards the exhaust. I then cut back the head button .2 mm to reduce its standard ratio and took a .2 shim to bring it back.. ..

I was a mennace ! it sounded like a rotary engine lol It created a lot of torque and great top end .. But rear bearings and rods wore very quickly..

MM
Indeed it does sound like a rotary engine. I've mastered the technic and have modded all my engines with the 3 grooves for standard plugs. Has that different sound and power is on demand
Old 07-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Pics please !!!
40% likes this.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Pics please !!!

Directly from: http://www.somender-singh.com/
40% likes this.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Head mods

I am pretty sure the one scoop is for turbo burn rooms and has to be above the exhaust port
40% likes this.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:58 AM
Tech Rookie

I know this is a dead thread but this has great info on here!
40% likes this.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Rc gur View Post
I am pretty sure the one scoop is for turbo burn rooms and has to be above the exhaust port
The one large scoop has nothing to do with Turbo buttons, that mod was already done before turbo plugs existed. The last engine I have bought with a default manufactured scoop was the RB C5 Rody, a follow up of the normal C5. It also came with a forged piston but sad enough we did not get it on full performance, after sending it back to RB it came back to me with a normal button.

The Sing grooves do something. I did such a mod on the track with a same engine with a before and after mod. Just 3 small grooves gave a more solid shift from 1st to 2nd gear and you do see a coloring over the squish band prooving the small gooves do the steer some mixture into the squishband where the combustion in the small gap will give some power. But you can discuss if the performance comes from changing the total volume of the combustion room by just the 3 grooves and so giving a tiny different ignition timing or is it realy a better spread combustion?
40% likes this.