R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #1366
Tech Elite
 
Kodak Hodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
Kodak ~

Good to hear that the engine is working out for you. Much better than the TZ, eh?

If you're going to tune by temp, keep it below 260 while you're practicing. In my experience, when you're pushing hard during race conditions, it may go slightly above that depending on how the temp/humidity changes by the time it's time for you to race. After a qualifier or race, take the temp as soon as possible to see where you're at. IMO, if you're above 270 after a race, you're starting to go too lean and you probably need to richen it a bit. If you're too lean, the engine will start to sound a certain way on throttle (really different - like a jerky "ha ha ha ha ha" or "hat hat hat hat" sound) and you should pull it off instead of continuing. Make sure to take the temp as soon as possible. If you accidentally go over 300, it's okay, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

Hope this helps.

BTW.. Are you tuning the idle/LSN using the Bobby Watson technique or are you using some other method?
Tell you the truth we are Using the PARIS method the idle PINCH fuel line method - seems to work a dream on the botom end s far, as for the top end i run it a tab rich, but did lean it a 1 hour before main A final to get the car bit more OOMMFFF!!!
__________________
★ DORMANT RC RACER ★
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #1367
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
Tell you the truth we are Using the PARIS method the idle PINCH fuel line method - seems to work a dream on the botom end s far, as for the top end i run it a tab rich, but did lean it a 1 hour before main A final to get the car bit more OOMMFFF!!!
If the pinch method works for you, then that's great.
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #1368
Tech Elite
 
Kodak Hodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii View Post
If the pinch method works for you, then that's great.
it seems to be working well enough, but i think 100% my clutch setup is wrong fr sure, this i need to work more on and try new setups as 1 meet of last round and its ready to be replaced!!!

Question: the email on Team Orion website does not work here, can someone please type the correct email so i can contact orion and see if i can order one of there clutches for the Team Magic G4S - id really wanna try and see if this clucth setup will live more than one meet!

cheers guys
__________________
★ DORMANT RC RACER ★
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #1369
Tech Adept
 
Nano's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 205
Default

Having a proper clutch setup isn't rocket science, but it requires that you have the right parts to start off with. There is a lot of clutch stuff out there but only little of it actually works properly.
I attended an EFRA race 1 week ago and we helped out some guys running CRF engines, their clutches were totally wrong and after we got them sorted out they had more power than they could handle.

If you are in the USA and you are having problems getting Team Orion parts, email Joel Johnson at [email protected]

Nano
Nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #1370
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

Anyone know any online shops that keep the G4S clutch set ???

All the shops ive been to only have Serpent, Kyosho and Mugen.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #1371
Tech Adept
 
Rawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brasilia, Brazil
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORY! View Post
pass the piston all the way?i have 2 brand new crf piston/sleeve set
and noone of them do this.your engine is running good?[mine is really blog off]3 months before i had broke my crankcase in two pieces in a crashwhen the engine broken,the rpm went high and then the engine stoped,did the piston/sleeve was damaged from this?and something last,what is the stantard setting for the lsn in turns...?
My engine is working very well. I am still lost about setup, but thats for when pushing from corners. Only place that I have the CRF working very well is at the end of the straight ... hehe.

I took one shim (.1) from the head, using the Byron 20% here (some 1000m from sea level), looks like that will do it, waiting my transmiter back from Futaba tech, so I can test more.
Rawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #1372
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
it seems to be working well enough, but i think 100% my clutch setup is wrong fr sure, this i need to work more on and try new setups as 1 meet of last round and its ready to be replaced!!!
Team Orion clutch setup is really your best bet. At a minimum, the Team Orion clutch shoe.

ORI88653 CRF Clutch Set Team Magic
ORI88663 CRF Shoe Team Magic

You have a PM as to who shows they have both in stock. Always good to have that extra shoe as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
Question: the email on Team Orion website does not work here, can someone please type the correct email so i can contact orion and see if i can order one of there clutches for the Team Magic G4S - id really wanna try and see if this clucth setup will live more than one meet!
Best to call them up. Really.
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #1373
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Anyone know any online shops that keep the G4S clutch set ???

All the shops ive been to only have Serpent, Kyosho and Mugen.
The online shop I found it at shows limited quantities, so maybe Kodak can forward the info to you after he gets his order in.
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #1374
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: www.moorebankraceway.com
Posts: 5,119
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

just got my kyosho crf and pipe today. looks good, only thing i am disapointed about is that the pipe and header is not chromed, also no stickers in the engine box

the heatsink colour doesn't look as ugly as i thought though
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #1375
Tech Elite
 
Kodak Hodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Having a proper clutch setup isn't rocket science, but it requires that you have the right parts to start off with. There is a lot of clutch stuff out there but only little of it actually works properly.
I attended an EFRA race 1 week ago and we helped out some guys running CRF engines, their clutches were totally wrong and after we got them sorted out they had more power than they could handle.

If you are in the USA and you are having problems getting Team Orion parts, email Joel Johnson at [email protected]

Nano
Hey Nanao, if you have the time and i ask for all of us, if we could have a diagram pic of how do to a clucth setup!

this would help i thihnk everyone and with some nice photos of the process would be way cool once again!

I am happy to help but really would like to know the correct tip!

cheers
__________________
★ DORMANT RC RACER ★
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #1376
Tech Fanatic
 
uniquexme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sibu, Sarawak
Posts: 901
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to uniquexme Send a message via Yahoo to uniquexme Send a message via Skype™ to uniquexme
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
Hey Nanao, if you have the time and i ask for all of us, if we could have a diagram pic of how do to a clucth setup!

this would help i thihnk everyone and with some nice photos of the process would be way cool once again!

I am happy to help but really would like to know the correct tip!

cheers
i strongly encourage this, at least to show us how to set up using TM clutch system, with Team Orion clutch spring.
uniquexme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:39 AM   #1377
Tech Apprentice
 
H4gI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 83
Default

Here in Switzerland I experienced the whole history of the CRF Engine. From the beginnings to now. Which showed up over the years is that the engine is very very difficult to adjust.
Turn carefully at the needles

greetz
H4gI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 AM   #1378
Tech Master
 
Z00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,173
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

For any Aussie CRF users, keep in mind that the Orion importer has the clutch updates for most makes in stock. I got the one for the G4S and it worked very well. The update set includes the spring, weights and clutch shoe. Ask your LHS to contact HEI International if you want to get one locally.
__________________
My blog: http://mikesrc.wordpress.com
XRAY XB4
## NOSRAM ## XRAY ## KO ##
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #1379
Tech Elite
 
Kodak Hodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Australia, Australia
Posts: 2,159
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00M View Post
For any Aussie CRF users, keep in mind that the Orion importer has the clutch updates for most makes in stock. I got the one for the G4S and it worked very well. The update set includes the spring, weights and clutch shoe. Ask your LHS to contact HEI International if you want to get one locally.
i hear ya man, but to pay $35USD for clucth set then $33USD for shipping thats MURDER!!!!

cmon guys its a small item not a bag of GOLD - keep in mind this was a price from nine store in the US!

Zooom what ya pay for urs local? cheers
__________________
★ DORMANT RC RACER ★
Kodak Hodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #1380
Tech Master
 
Z00M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,173
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

At least if you get it locally you can talk in A$ instead of US$ - And maybe even get some support!

I got mine in with other stuff so I don't know it's price. Check with your LHS, they can sort you out.
__________________
My blog: http://mikesrc.wordpress.com
XRAY XB4
## NOSRAM ## XRAY ## KO ##
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Orion Wasp REV Nicolas Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 183 10-05-2006 09:04 AM
team orion wasp rev MAVICXXX Malaysian R/C Racers 31 09-19-2006 09:18 PM
Team Orion - Wasp!! BundyMan Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 1 03-03-2006 03:10 AM
Orion Element 19t Dyno results rinkrat99 Electric On-Road 7 10-09-2005 07:29 PM
Team Orion Wasp .12 HaLo_UsMc R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 03-16-2005 07:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net