Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS Speed B2101 engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Vacuum port is right up there with the muffler bearing or tuning the pinch bolt...

Over the years I have broke in and ran 20+ OS engines from .21, .25, .28 and even a .30 I have had them modded and ran them stock. I have blown up 1 engine due to running a 9mm venturi, I have had the venturi slip into the carb boot and the engine come off at 320's after a 20 min race and all in between. A stock OS speed will still lay down the power better than any other engine I have driven, it will not give the best result in creating pizza cutters on a truck, it will not throw the biggest roost in the loose stuff, it will not scream the loudest, but it will perform at the top of all nitro engines.

In 20+ engines I have never had an issue with this vacuum port, I have never even heard of it until a couple years ago, I have never plugged one and never had the need to plug one. Flaming engines is very frustrating. Dirt inside of engines is just as frustrating. The vacuum port is a great bench racing venue.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 PM
AE

O.S. Speeds with a T-2050 pipe, 8mm restrictor and a Losi clutch in a buggy produce one of the best powerbands I have ever felt on a nitro engine. I'm with ya Frank. Crisp, and the torque follows every movement of your trigger finger. I've had to run other motors over the years and nothing compares to the sheer horsepower and responsiveness of the Speeds and VZ-b blue head V-spec. For those who have run these, they understand the passion
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Lord

Dyno Dan what's up? My engine never sounded so mean after you got done with it.

How's the shoulder. I worked on it in AZ a couple years ago at the DNC
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Vacuum port is right up there with the muffler bearing or tuning the pinch bolt...
Lmao!!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmmm

If the port allows dirt to get sucked into the engine then I would imagine it would not last as long and that could be a very good incentive for companies to sell more engines. Perhaps including the little port was not an issue back in the day when bearings were not made in China. I think most of the issues with engines comes from neglect. I see piles of gunk engines all the time along with some good ol fashioned rev it to the moon bench tuning. That always makes them run good and last a long time. I know one thing and that Neal has always been honest with his engine work and if he recommends the port to be sealed I am sure he has a very good reason. Buku caps support his theory for sure. I do see more dirt inside engines the more I started looking and so far the Clocked engines I run do have less dirt inside than a few of my stock p5's for example. I remember the bearing issues when they put one sealed bearings in them that were inferior to the older better made bearings with one seal that fit more tightly than a cheapo avid etc.... perhaps the dirt still got in a bit but they simply were more durable. Air filters have been pretty crappy in the last several years. I finally started using those protek air filters the newer version and they really work great combined with the clocked engines with blocked ports. I can't say the stock engines are worse because I clean them every gallon or so and I rotate my engines and it becomes impossible to remember what the heck is happening sometime. I say do what you want it's your engines. I can say that Neal has been spot on with every recommendation in the last few years from pipes to headers to fuel, to tuning, head shims air filters, to powerbands to you name it. It would be tough to take his comments lightly and I have plenty of experience. I certainly have learned to learn from others and he is one to listen to in most cases related to rc nitro engines.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

its amazing how someone who still relies on others to tune his engines for him can come to these forums and act like he's some sort of engine expert..

Obviously those commenting have done some testing before and after blocking the bypass and found different results then me and simply wanted to share their results ...Or is it just more flapping gums and hate without any real world testing

Anyways careful who you listen too on the forums ..some guys here are only nitro engine experts until they get an actual nitro engine in their hands...
Old 10-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Lord

The only engines I ever had huge issues with tuning were your engines Neal.
I'm never to proud to ask for help. I don't go into your thread and post my horrible experiences with your product. I have asked nicely but your tact is absent. I will continue this in your thread should you choose.
Be careful what you ask for...

Last edited by Frank L; 10-17-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Hi just wondering how the engine is from people that tried it. Just got it but probably won't break mine in till a weak or 2 . My first OS.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
The only engines I ever had huge issues with tuning were your engines Neal.
Be careful what you ask for...
I don't think any of the issues you had were anything to do with me or my engines.. Among other things at the time you were using severely contaminated fuel, I still have the pictures you sent of your fuel bottle with all the contaminates in it, it was pretty bad......And I also have a email saved from one of your fellow CFF Teamates at the time apologizing about the fuel and telling me they and you were having huge issues due to outside sourcing of their production, apparently the owner of CFF was forced to stop his own production and the outsourcing turned into a disaster, tons of guys were having issues right along with you.....The one engine I got back from you was a P5 that was in perfect condition, All I did was reset the needles and put in some good fuel and the engine ran like a top, even today after countless repinches it runs quite well.. I even have 3 or 4 different videos featuring that engine.....

Anyways hate all you want...If you have done your own testing with blocking the vacuum port and found different results then me then so be it. There is no question for me, I have been monitoring and testing this theory over the last 3 years and have screened hundreds of engines so I am pretty confident on my findings.. I have to ask how many front bearings have you changed ? and when you change the front bearings are they gritty ? and if they are not gritty why change them ? and then if they are gritty do you take the time to spray the bearing out over a white paper ? myself I have done all this, hundreds of times over the last 3 years...I Have changed hundreds of front bearings and have taken the time to spray each out to see whats inside...engines with the bypass blocked fare much much better in terms of dirt in the bearing , they are always much cleaner with much less grit inside..I have nothing to gain by lying to people about this......If anything I am putting myself out there to be criticized.....so I would have to be foolish to even tell people this if I wasn't 100 % sure it was something that could help people...

Its funny but over the years quite a few engines were known to have bad front bearings that were often recommended to be changed before even running the engine.. I believe some of the old OS were like that with many upgrading to TKO fronts....... However the reality is the issue had nothing at all to do with a bad bearing or anything with the bearing at all , the issue was a vacuum leak thru the bearing causing dirt to get sucked into the bearing.. .
Old 10-17-2014, 07:44 AM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

All this vacuum port talk along with all the bs deserves its own thread or can go to pm.

I just want to see Stephen's test and review of this engine. It may be my next OS. Looking for a smoother low to mid then the xzb spec II, and a little more runtime. Sounds like this engine will have that.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
am
Tech Master

It is very simple... If some of you have tested the bukucap, and find that it changes the engine, it is because it will not suck unmetered air (witch it can not give any more fuel since the air does not go through the carb). there is you answer :-) I for one have helped quite a few people, and the buku has solved their issues. A closed vacumport will help, there is no question abaout it.

It is just the same with fullsize engies. unmetered air in any form will make your engine behave strange.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 AM
am
Tech Master

Well back to the OS topic. Hopefully a friend of mine will have this engine on a dyno in a few weeks :-)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SEF
All this vacuum port talk along with all the bs deserves its own thread or can go to pm.

I just want to see Stephen's test and review of this engine. It may be my next OS. Looking for a smoother low to mid then the xzb spec II, and a little more runtime. Sounds like this engine will have that.
Originally Posted by am
Well back to the OS topic. Hopefully a friend of mine will have this engine on a dyno in a few weeks :-)
Sorry guys I digress

Any new report on the new speed??
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yeah,

It's faster than the old one. Duh. LOL.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 AM
am
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Yeah,

It's faster than the old one. Duh. LOL.
Its not suppose to be... ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.