Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into nitro

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Getting back into nitro

Hi, I used to race nitro about 7-8 years ago and I was wondering what are the best motors nowadays. It'll be going in a nb48. When I ran O.S. was the brand to have it seemed like but now it seems like there are many more motor company's out there, which leads to a lot more choices. Just looking on some info on some motors so when I get back into it I can make a solid choice on which motor I want to get.
As of now I was deciding between the O.S. 21xz-b spec or the Alpha Lutz World Edition, but info on other motors would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Rakus
Hi, I used to race nitro about 7-8 years ago and I was wondering what are the best motors nowadays. It'll be going in a nb48. When I ran O.S. was the brand to have it seemed like but now it seems like there are many more motor company's out there, which leads to a lot more choices. Just looking on some info on some motors so when I get back into it I can make a solid choice on which motor I want to get.
As of now I was deciding between the O.S. 21xz-b spec or the Alpha Lutz World Edition, but info on other motors would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Both those motors are still some of the top of the line. But like you said, there are quite a few companies out there to choose from now. I really depends on your budget. If money is no object, the OS Speed or Nova Virtus are top performers. If you want to keep costs down, the Alpha line other than the Lutz or maybe a Werks B6. Its coming to the point where most manufactures are getting really close to each other in performance. I guess it will become a brand loyalty or "Swear By this" game soon. Don't forget about Reds, Maxie's Protek's new engine, and some other brands. They have been proving themselves race day after race day around the country.

Probably the most important question is, what are you looking for the motor to do for you. Run time, tunability, longevity, price, all out power or smoothness? That will help you narrow down your selection a bit.

Good luck and welcome back.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jerm13
Both those motors are still some of the top of the line. But like you said, there are quite a few companies out there to choose from now. I really depends on your budget. If money is no object, the OS Speed or Nova Virtus are top performers. If you want to keep costs down, the Alpha line other than the Lutz or maybe a Werks B6. Its coming to the point where most manufactures are getting really close to each other in performance. I guess it will become a brand loyalty or "Swear By this" game soon. Don't forget about Reds, Maxie's Protek's new engine, and some other brands. They have been proving themselves race day after race day around the country.

Probably the most important question is, what are you looking for the motor to do for you. Run time, tunability, longevity, price, all out power or smoothness? That will help you narrow down your selection a bit.

Good luck and welcome back.
As of right now I'm not to worried about the price. I'm looking for a motor that gets good fuel milage, a motor that I can get a good use out of, but mainly a motor that is consistent. I know alot of what I'm looking for has to do with your tuning, but I don't want something that is known to be "finikey"( I think that's how it's spelled). All opinions welcomed.
Thanks

Last edited by Chris Rakus; 08-03-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

It'd be a lot harder IMO to find a bad (or finicky) engine nowadays than a good one. There are probably 30+ excellent engines to choose from.. I.e. there aren't really any bad (race .21) engines out there anymore.. Novarossi, OS, Picco, Alpha, Hudy FX, etc.. If you read around it seems the Picco 5TR is particularly well liked.. For serious racing I think it'd be high on my list.. Or an OS Speed, money being no object..

Just go to Amain and look through their .21 offroad engines and see what catches your fancy..
Old 08-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
It'd be a lot harder IMO to find a bad (or finicky) engine nowadays than a good one. There are probably 30+ excellent engines to choose from.. I.e. there aren't really any bad (race .21) engines out there anymore.. Novarossi, OS, Picco, Alpha, Hudy FX, etc.. If you read around it seems the Picco 5TR is particularly well liked.. For serious racing I think it'd be high on my list.. Or an OS Speed, money being no object..

Just go to Amain and look through their .21 offroad engines and see what catches your fancy..
+1 on the Picco 5TR. In my opinion, it isn't as sensitive as most engines are towards tuning. You can literally change up the needles (not so much though), and it would still run with good performance. ITS SO EASY TO TUNE! I have mine paired with a Picco 2099, and on the track it feels almost as if it were an electric.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Of the two listed I would probably choose the Lutz edition. OS needs the DLC for me to even consider it.

If it is OK. In my opinion I would look at a Nova Rossi PLUS.21-4BTT WC/A or Keep off 21-4 and the Clio P5. Fusion X3L or X5L made by Nova Rossi to their specs and are very good engines. Personally my next engine will be a Fusion X5L.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The Picco Boost engines are the way to go, last long, some of the fastest on the market and tune like a dream.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the opinions everyone! Keep them coming if you have something to say. I'm not limiting my decision between the two I listed, those were just 2 that I've ran in the last couple of weeks in friends cars. So let me know about any motor you want to. All the help is MUCH appreciated!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Nothing tunes like an OS engine. The FX gets close but OS still dials in better.

Most engines today will go 8 gallons strong. I don't see any choice as a bad choice it's more what brand you want to support.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Nothing tunes like an OS engine. The FX gets close but OS still dials in better.

Most engines today will go 8 gallons strong. I don't see any choice as a bad choice it's more what brand you want to support.
Actually the Piccos are I think the only engine that can go up against OS with ease of tuning. The Picco engines tune and hold a tune better than most any other engine out there. Talk with anyone who owns one and that's the first thing they will tell you.

So when people ask me what the best tuning and less finicky engines are I tell them a Speed or a Picco
Old 08-04-2014, 06:34 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What's the most popular engine at the track/ tracks that you frequent?

What glow plugs does your local shop stock?

Sometimes running with the herd can be a good thing. If OS , Nova, or Picco is popular at your track I would stick with one of them.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JsK
What's the most popular engine at the track/ tracks that you frequent?

What glow plugs does your local shop stock?

Sometimes running with the herd can be a good thing. If OS , Nova, or Picco is popular at your track I would stick with one of them.
No local shop so Amain is where I'll be getting my stuff from and no real nitro class at my local track, I travel alot to bigger races and that's what I'm looking to get back into nitro.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

No local shop so Amain is where I'll be getting my stuff from and no real nitro class at my local track, I travel alot to bigger races and that's what I'm looking to get back into nitro.
Well from there you have a pretty clean slate to work from. I have not heard about a bad NB48/motor combo so anything should work well.

Partial to FusionX myself. Houston's engine service. An X5race would be perfect for a buggy.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Bump. Nitro car should be on its way at the end of the week. need some more opinions on motors! Leaning towards a speed but opinions wanted.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Bump. Nitro car should be on its way at the end of the week. need some more opinions on motors! Leaning towards a speed but opinions wanted.
I know a guy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.