Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Glow plug burning out on power panel >

Glow plug burning out on power panel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glow plug burning out on power panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Glow plug burning out on power panel

Hi Guys

I have a starter box with a power panel and never really used my ignitor plugged to the power panel to glow my plugs, until the other day, I running my starter off a lipo battery and even if I put the settings to low it will still blow my plug.

Is this normal when using lipo, I'm thinking the lipo may just give too many volts which is blowing it or do I just have a faulty panel, either way how can I fix this?

Thanks guys in advance
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nazUK
Hi Guys

I have a starter box with a power panel and never really used my ignitor plugged to the power panel to glow my plugs, until the other day, I running my starter off a lipo battery and even if I put the settings to low it will still blow my plug.

Is this normal when using lipo, I'm thinking the lipo may just give too many volts which is blowing it or do I just have a faulty panel, either way how can I fix this?

Thanks guys in advance
I put an Ofna glow ignitor in my blue box and power it with a 3 cell lipo no problem. I use a 4 cell for the box which would be too much for the ignitor and the plug.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

This may sound obvious but It has happened to me on several occasions, make sure your ignitor is plugged into the "Glow" ports not the "12V" if you are smoken the glow plugs, you might be hitting them with 12V.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlueStreakOne
I put an Ofna glow ignitor in my blue box and power it with a 3 cell lipo no problem. I use a 4 cell for the box which would be too much for the ignitor and the plug.
I did think it might be my lipo as its a 4cell, wonder if I can put a regulator or something and work around this!!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I did think it might be my lipo as its a 4cell, wonder if I can put a regulator or something and work around this!!
The dial itself acts like a regulator already. I would check the voltage reading from the ignitor. It should be no higher than 1.5v.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I run a OFNA adjustable cable start off 4S lipo all the time........ works like a charm....
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mr240
The dial itself acts like a regulator already. I would check the voltage reading from the ignitor. It should be no higher than 1.5v.
OK 2 things one I have no meter of any kind to measure voltage and secondly why would the ignitor give out more than 1.5-2V as they are only used for one thing and one thing only?!

I'm just trying to eliminate questions in my head but I am taking on board what you are saying.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Maximo
I run a OFNA adjustable cable start off 4S lipo all the time........ works like a charm....
That's interesting to know, see the other problem could be I have a faulty dial, which has also come across my mind
Old 05-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That's interesting to know, see the other problem could be I have a faulty dial, which has also come across my mind
maybe bad dial..would need to put a voltmeter on it and see what it is doing
Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

I did try something in an unorthodox way to check how much voltage was coming out of the panel, I have a balance charger which can take external power in and requires between 11-18V DC to work so I used the the starter box panel plugged into the glow plug socket to send power to the balance charger and it came on!!

So now I'm thinking it is giving out too much voltage?!

Last edited by nazUK; 05-20-2013 at 03:29 AM.