Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
FX Royal Racing Engine Thread >

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by basher88
Hi guys,

Just wanna ask what're the run times of everyone's engine? Cuz i had a prototype(with no name on the head) before but the run time was about 7 to 7:30 mins max, i've read here that peeps are getting 9 to 10 mins even with heavy throttle finger. Just wondering if there're some improvements made for the production FX ones.
I'm asking because wanna get a nitro truggy and looking at this engine again due to the price(with ceramic bearings) and everyone's comments, but really hope the run time is improved, cheers
I am getting 10+ minutes in my 3.0 with VP Fuel. I only have 1 gallon on it so far with temps in the 240 range. I have only leaned the high speed needle about 4 hours since break in.

Medium sized track no long straights.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys,

Just wanna ask what're the run times of everyone's engine? Cuz i had a prototype(with no name on the head) before but the run time was about 7 to 7:30 mins max, i've read here that peeps are getting 9 to 10 mins even with heavy throttle finger. Just wondering if there're some improvements made for the production FX ones.
I'm asking because wanna get a nitro truggy and looking at this engine again due to the price(with ceramic bearings) and everyone's comments, but really hope the run time is improved, cheers
I've the same "prototype" as you with steel bearings and no name. Getting +10 min (in the main) on a very dusty track where noboby else could safely run 9 min.

Its only the bearings thats different from ours and the engines in the stores.

What pipe do you run?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Yep Still running the blank head as well 10min easy with 2100 and Novarossi medium header...
Old 09-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

If yiu guys have not tried the 2013 pipe I would suggest giving it a whirl.

I broke mine in with a Werks 2013 and have run that pipe on it only. In my opinion it is working out very well.

If someone else has a 2013 I would like your feedback on it. I have a 2058 that I wanted to try but the 2013 was pulling over the double tripple no problem and clearing a somewhat tough quad with getting over 10 min of run time so I never bothered trying the 2058.

Plus the 2013 just sounds so bad ass.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dishsoap
I am getting 10+ minutes in my 3.0 with VP Fuel. I only have 1 gallon on it so far with temps in the 240 range. I have only leaned the high speed needle about 4 hours since break in.

Medium sized track no long straights.
Originally Posted by Lille-bror
I've the same "prototype" as you with steel bearings and no name. Getting +10 min (in the main) on a very dusty track where noboby else could safely run 9 min.

Its only the bearings thats different from ours and the engines in the stores.

What pipe do you run?
Sorry i forgot the pipe that i used for the engine but i'm sure it's not a good one since a friend just gave it to me cheap. Thanks for reminding i think it's the pipe that made the run times so low.

Originally Posted by blade954
Yep Still running the blank head as well 10min easy with 2100 and Novarossi medium header...
Thanks a ton for the replies guys, Lille-bror asked the right question(which reminds me) about the pipe, had not thought of that before asking the question, sorry. But getting all your replies and it seems everyone is getting 10+ mins, i think i'm going with this engine again soon(still waiting for the truggy).
Btw, what are the pipes you guys are using now? Are the recommended pipes as good and functional as it's said to be?
Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Mileage is mostly driver and finding a combo that works at your track. Just because you buy what Drake has doesnt make you get runtimes like him. It takes mostly a smooth throttle finger. Finding the right combo with a pipe is very important. I personally ran the Alpha 2090, it was very good but I did not test any others, runtime was around 10 minutes, above average for me at that track. Fuel used, car model, bearings being free and lots of other things come into play also.
Being the fx has lots of power modifying it for mileage would work well also. I sometimes add an insert in the crank, use exhaust restrictors etc for mileage.

Rex
Old 09-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Sorry i forgot the pipe that i used for the engine but i'm sure it's not a good one since a friend just gave it to me cheap. Thanks for reminding i think it's the pipe that made the run times so low.

Thanks a ton for the replies guys, Lille-bror asked the right question(which reminds me) about the pipe, had not thought of that before asking the question, sorry. But getting all your replies and it seems everyone is getting 10+ mins, i think i'm going with this engine again soon(still waiting for the truggy).
Btw, what are the pipes you guys are using now? Are the recommended pipes as good and functional as it's said to be?
I run the 2100, as Mario Hudy suggested me in November 2012, when I bought the engine. Now they recommend the 2108... Both with the medium header.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 22Racer
Mileage is mostly driver and finding a combo that works at your track. Just because you buy what Drake has doesnt make you get runtimes like him. It takes mostly a smooth throttle finger. Finding the right combo with a pipe is very important. I personally ran the Alpha 2090, it was very good but I did not test any others, runtime was around 10 minutes, above average for me at that track. Fuel used, car model, bearings being free and lots of other things come into play also.
Being the fx has lots of power modifying it for mileage would work well also. I sometimes add an insert in the crank, use exhaust restrictors etc for mileage.

Rex
Thanks a lot for the heads up Rex, but since i find everyone with a run time of 10+ mins, i think that will be the average run time of this engine, so i would like to know what pipes and headers you guys are using so i can gather more info before pulling the trigger on the best combo.

Originally Posted by Lille-bror
I run the 2100, as Mario Hudy suggested me in November 2012, when I bought the engine. Now they recommend the 2108... Both with the medium header.
Thanks a lot again for sharing man, so is there any clear and tested difference between the 2 pipes? Oh, maybe info on the different headers too?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Here is the official pipe/manifold sheet from FX-Engines :

Attached Files
Old 09-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Like Rex said, a lot of the fuel mileage is driver/tune/header-pipe combo.

I'm on the 2108 w/ 659704 and now that the engine has about 3 gallons through it, it has really woken up.

I haven't "risked" going 10 just yet, but I know the engine has it in it. I always come back with more than enough fuel to know I can go 10, but I've always gotten burned (in the past) in some way by not making it if I have to push super hard. Not to mention, the latest tracks I've run on really like full throttle.

This past weekend, I was pitting around the 8 minute mark and my pit man said it was taking around 75cc of fuel via the gun measurement. But I was on the hammer hard.

Anyone that was at Barnstormers this weekend can vouch for the power this engine makes, yet how smooth it is to drive. I love running against modded engines in a straight line and pulling on them.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Everybody should learn how to make correct runtime calculations
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Lille-bror and schreff,

Thanks a ton for sharing and advising man, and also thanks for the 'Guide' Lille-bror, it helps clear things a lot, really appreciate it, cheers...and have a great run guys
Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've run the 2100/ medium and 2108 and medium combos and prefer the 2108 with the medium header on my track. Relatively large and open.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:59 AM
TIX
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Roughly where are people's needles set. I'm about .3mm in from flush top and bottom on 30%

The motors are running fairly cold still, around 95-100 degrees. But im finding all my plugs are compressed up like its lean. They aren't driving like they are lean and have good smoke. If anything I'd say I could lean them out more.

Im thinking I might try adding another shim to .5mm

I just find it odd that both my motors are doing the same thing
Old 09-21-2013, 05:52 AM
am
Tech Master

on a general note, if you glowplugs looks like the filament is pushed into the glowplug, you are not lean but overcompressed. put in a 010mm shim and test again :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.