Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Fuel cooler?

Not sure if this is rookie zone question or not but I have always used fuel filters and recently have seen the fuel cooler from a Durango. Never noticed it before and like always now that I have seen it I'm seeing it more and more. Anyway I've seen buggy/truggy with them and with both filter and cooler. Anyway guess now for the questions... What do they do? Are they really necessary? Are there any benefits to them? Should you use both?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Well obviously the filter is necessary as you'll always get some crud entering the tank on refueling.
The cooler thing, well some people claim it adds mileage.
I don't run a cooler. But I guess in theory it could add something.
I don't know really how effective they are, they are quite small and I'd like to see some calculations on it.
My guess is it is really quite meaningless and remember the pros are probably paid to use them.

Usually some people will have a cooler on the exhaust return and a cooler on the fuel line, so they'd run two of them.
Again, I don't believe it's very significant in terms of how it affects anything.
Probably very little.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Lord

One link explains it all:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/search.php

This subject is discussed that many times you can read all about it, just make a search to those topics.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

They look cool, The idea sounds cool, But they don't really cool.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

in theory, it cools the fuel. the colder the fuel is, the more mileage you get. I think it would work, even though I've never run one, because I notice when I lengthen the exhaust pressure tubing, the fuel is cooler, less smoke in the tank than if the tubing was shorter. i've noticed a lot of people dont believe it can cool the gases. they probably think the gas is fast moving into the tank. but, the speed the gas enters the tank is the same speed fuel leaves the tank, obviously fuel doesnt leave the tank extremely fast. so even though theres no airflow to the cooler, i think it acts like a heatsink (it basically is), distributing the heat from the exhaust gas into the fins. thats my theory, i've never used a fuel cooler, but jmo.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've seen people run them with success and I've seen people have nothing but problems with them. It's just another connection that can lead to potential problems. Why bother?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Tech Lord

The oil is making the thickness of the fuel. Also the thickness of the oil is depenting the temperature and can change a lot within a few degrees window. Cooling the gasses for what it is worth is keeping the thickness more consistant and with that also the tunning of the engine.

At the end it is much easier to find the lean spot on the tuning saving fuel.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

I ran RB cooler, its good stuff, save a few laps for refueling. but make sure the connection is right,the tube route is well, bcoz problems starts there. pinched tube and you lost ur laps.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Also running a cooler make sure you have some kind of heat tape on the gas tank protecting it from the heat of the exhaust.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Lord

And having a lathe then before you know it you will start to makr the ultimate gas cooler...

The 1st start from a piece of aluminium

After some work on both sides:

After some milling:

Mounted:

Because the fuelcap is alway's mounted in the airflow it must give a better cooling than a small cooler under the body.