Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
HSN housing fell out, how to adjust? >

HSN housing fell out, how to adjust?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HSN housing fell out, how to adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default HSN housing fell out, how to adjust?

Hi everyone, I've found the source of my lean syndrome in my losi XXL over half throttle. I noticed that the nipple on the HSN was extremely loose and the housing itself was, also. I took it out and I see that there are holes for the fuel to go through and realise that if these aren't aligned properly, I'll have issues.

How do I align them when I can't see them? I've been into nitro for a long time, but I've never had a drama like this, lol...

Cheers!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am not familiar with that model / engine, but every motor I have seen has the ability to rotate the fuel nipple as you see fit.
It is a banjo fitting - designed to be screwed up tight in any orientation and it will work. That is why the "loop" part that slides on the HSN assembly has a big bowl kinda shape to it.

Post pics maybe?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Tech Regular

I don't think those holes have to line up.
I never worried about it. I always just set
Where I want the inlet nipple to be and tighten
Down the housing. Never had an issue.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

If they don't have to line up, how does the fuel make it to the carb? I've tightened them down and I'm 90% sure they're close to lining up anyway, so I'll get some permatex copper tomorrow and reseal everything and hopefully cure the problems I've been having. It's extremely frustrating.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kawasakirider
If they don't have to line up, how does the fuel make it to the carb? I've tightened them down and I'm 90% sure they're close to lining up anyway, so I'll get some permatex copper tomorrow and reseal everything and hopefully cure the problems I've been having. It's extremely frustrating.
Like posted earlier , it is what you call a banjo fitting which will pass the fluid (fuel) through the orifices when rotated/tightened down in any position as there is a gap internally that the fluid flows around and then into the hsn housing which has orifices that are metered by the hsn

Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

I wouldn't use permatex or any sealer. It only takes a very small bit of foreign matter to clog the HSN. The washers provide all the seal you'll need.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
I wouldn't use permatex or any sealer. It only takes a very small bit of foreign matter to clog the HSN. The washers provide all the seal you'll need.
This carb doesn't have washers. It's a Losi 454 not a nova, haha. I've been running nitro for years and I haven't had a drama with an engine like this. Anything over half throttle, it quits. There must be an airleak somewhere.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

EDIT:

Here is a better picture. There definitely should be washer between the HSN housing, the fuel inlet, and the carb body.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate

EDIT:

Here is a better picture. There definitely should be washer between the HSN housing, the fuel inlet, and the carb body.

There's no washer man, that is just a higher edge on each side of the banjo fitting.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

454 doesn't have shims on the banjo...

Angle the banjo however you want and snug it up. If the openings are clear/clean on the HSN, problem is likely elsewhere.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rsickles
454 doesn't have shims on the banjo...

Angle the banjo however you want and snug it up. If the openings are clear/clean on the HSN, problem is likely elsewhere.
Thank you.

What are the ACCURATE settings for the LOSI carb on the 454? The manual I have says 2.5 out on each needle, maybe it is way too lean, as some people are saying 3 turns or more?

I had it set to break in settings, 2.5 turns on the HSN and I added an extra 1/4 turn on the LSN for 2.75 turns out. It ran pretty hot like this, keen to get up to 300F according to the telemetry, but it never hesitated and died like it's doing now.

I have taken the needles back to where I started TONS of times and after half throttle it leans out way too much and dies.

I've just taken the engine apart and it all looks fine, there's nothing wrong with it. I sealed it up with permatex copper and also sealed the fuel tank primer up with this stuff (hope it's resistant to fuel!), I've followed some other word of mouth guides saying that 2.5 turns on the needles is too lean, and I've gone 3 out on each needle (even though I know 2.75 was plenty rich for the LSN, it' just a starting point to eliminate problems).

I don't know what else I can check for air leaks. I've changed the exhaust gasket, the fuel filter to an alloy one, the fuel line is new. If this doesn't work, I'll be stumped.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

The 454 tends to want to be run on the richer side...once mine got above 250ish, it started acting ultra lean. Non-insulated carb.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't know what else I can check for air leaks.
Front bearing?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Front bearing?
I don't feel like taking the flywheel off, lol. If it is the front bearing, I'll just go and buy a picco. Not going to be bothered with it.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FLDan
The 454 tends to want to be run on the richer side...once mine got above 250ish, it started acting ultra lean. Non-insulated carb.
Yeah it could be the carb issue, I guess. I've never had all metal carbs, so I can't really say for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.