Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best .21 for the $$$!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Do yourself a big favor and check out the Argus A52 as mentioned earlier. I switched over from a Werks B5 and have never looked back...easy to tune, reliable with great power low and high. For the price you just can't beat it, and Lance at rcRenew.com will hook you up with a killer deal!!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Hi all!!

I'm wanting to know what is the best .21 for around 300$$?? I'm going to be putting that motor in my sc8.

I had a werks b3 pro in my mbx5t and that engine had more bottom mid and hi than my buddies modded axial .28rr and i loved that motor for as long as i had that truggy.

I would like it to be easy to tune powerful and long lasting. If anyone came help me with this it will be much appreciated it. I know this thread has probably been beaten to death but it would be some major help to me. Thanks all Doug.
As you enjoyed our B3 why don't you take a look at our new B2? It's the replacement for the B3-Pro that you had but with more power across the board, better carb and lower price. Street on it is only $169 and it's a truly race worthy engine that will push your SC8 around without a problem! Here is a video of a B2 under true racing conditions (a RC Pro Series A-main race) in Pro class (so everyone can drive and properly tune an engine). It's in the white buggy running in second behind the leader who is running a factory team Nova engine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Th3RCkings?feature=mhee
Old 11-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey guys!!

Ok so I'm going to be using this motor for racing. My track has a tacky/dusty surface, its a pretty tight track with a lot of turn and short compact jumps with a big 15 footer after the rythems.

So the motor would have to have a lot of low end grunt and mid. Don't need that much top end speed. I though I would help narrow the selection down some. Thanks all for the help..
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

alpha a-852 "grey" head has all the power and top end needed if you go to another track.. the s-852 "orange" head will be just as good.. jeremy
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

"tight track with a lot of turn and short compact jumps "

sounds to me like you need a B2!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

B2 FTW....but my choice is biased lol

the best engine is the one that you are used to, and check out the local track and see what is being ran...ask questions and most of all have fun!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Still say for the price and power for your case get the argus many racer use for Racing plenty power usable and they last don't get a low power mill you will regret.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Werks
As you enjoyed our B3 why don't you take a look at our new B2? It's the replacement for the B3-Pro that you had but with more power across the board, better carb and lower price. Street on it is only $169 and it's a truly race worthy engine that will push your SC8 around without a problem! Here is a video of a B2 under true racing conditions (a RC Pro Series A-main race) in Pro class (so everyone can drive and properly tune an engine). It's in the white buggy running in second behind the leader who is running a factory team Nova engine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Th3RCkings?feature=mhee
That looks like a fast little engine......
Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Hey guys!!

Ok so I'm going to be using this motor for racing. My track has a tacky/dusty surface, its a pretty tight track with a lot of turn and short compact jumps with a big 15 footer after the rythems.

So the motor would have to have a lot of low end grunt and mid. Don't need that much top end speed. I though I would help narrow the selection down some. Thanks all for the help..
do they allow .28's in sc8 racing ? if so thats probably where i would look

Last edited by houston; 11-19-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

no fanboyism .. but i wud be thinking of werks b2 or b5 .. with 2058 or 2013 .. if on budget for pipe u cud get a 2035 by thunder tiger ...
werks engines are not very cheap(price wise) like others mentioned but u get a solid bang for the buck
or maybe os.25
Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Aha.., so you want this for racing your SC8? I still think pretty much every engine mentioned so far would work great..

The last time I ran my SC8 was on a medium-sized track with the Argus, and it was simply fantastic..

Argus A52 or the new B52, Alpha S852(pretty much identical to the Argus btw.. - The Argus is Alpha-based..) or A852 or even the .23(the .23 is meant to be wicked!), Werks B5 or B2, Go GXII, Jammin JPX 21, Novarossi P5, OS XZ-B or 25, RB Fire 11.. I'm sure all of them would be awesome.., and I'm not trying to sell you anything or convince you to run what I'm sponsored to run.

My main engines right now for my SC8 are the Argus and a NIB Jammin JPX 21(actually a rebadged twin under the Nosram name..) that I'm kind of considering having modded. If I get another one over the winter it will be the RB Fire 11, which here in Germany anyway IMO is the best value-for-money going.. As I said before, the SC8 is like a heavy-ish truggy or very heavy buggy, so you need bottom-end grunt, but I also like a screaming top-end. The powerband (and runtime) of the Argus with 0801 pipe is probably ideal for racing an SC8.. But yeah, if you think you'll only ever run on a short track, the Werks B2 might be adequate. But again, all the above engines would definitely work just fine.. I think the ones I listed in the previous paragraph though will offer the best power and value for the money.. I personally would skip a Nova +4 or Orion Discovery, because you really don't need those less powerful and grunty engines, which get 12 extra seconds of runtime or whatever.. OK, maybe 30 seconds.. But still, I kind of doubt you need to obsess about it the way a lot of buggy racers do.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up thank you all!!!

Hey guys!!

I could run a .28 on my track or a 21. I would much rather run a .21 or something close to that, the highest I would go is a .26. I'm not a fan of piggy engines and only getting 10min on a very good tune. Here in IL a good race fuel cost 30$$.

I though i would also I'm probably going to be running 25% fuel. Inputs on that?? I don't have a problem with tuning. But i would love a crisp idle and not having to worry about it dieing before I get the cage and body on. Also to add it needs to hold that tune, I don't mind making any small adjustments to it. But yes i would love to have it to have a lot of bottom and mid. Top end don't have to be a screamer but would have to have some sort of top.

Once again thank you all for the help and your honest opion. It really means a lot that you guys are helping the way you do. Thanks Doug.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Tech Champion

Argus A52 with 0801 pipe(the rcrenew guy sells both directly from his shop - or ebay..), and spend any savings on AE Big Bore shocks, upgrade servos, tires, etc...

Everything else, like a Werks B5 with 2013 or 2058 pipe, Jammin JPX 21 with JP3 or 086 or whatever, or say an Alpha .23 with 0801 or whatever.., though doubtless excellent choices all of them, will cost more.. Or, like the B2, will lack top-end, or to me anyway would at least be a tad dubious power-wise in a heavy SC8 IMO.. Really a question of how flexible your budget is. An engine is only one part of what all you need...

But again, I've run a bunch of different engines in my SC8, and the Argus seems made for it as far as power for racing goes.. I don't race mine so I personally would like some more top-end, but yeah, it's not totally broken in yet, so that may come.. In any case more than enough top for pretty much all tracks I'm likely to run on..

I'll stop now, but it really can't be stressed enough, pretty much every engine mentioned in this thread would be good, and probably two or three dozen others.. Pick one you like the looks and sound of, find a dealer with the right price for you, and just order it. Then get some Big Bore shocks...

ps Another one to the list. Amain has (or had) a blue-headed Dynamite engine which is a rebranded Alpha which is also meant to be very good.. Here:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug

Don't see why to pay 45 more bucks than an Argus though.. They're allegedly nearly identical, except for the color. Unless you have some kind of discount codes...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 11-19-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys!!

Ok so I narrowed it down to four mills. OS,novarossi,werks and the argus. I also like the. Dynamite mill that herrsavage sent me.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Best engines for the money hands down would be the basic Novarossi +4 or the P5. You cant put a price tag on having the best carburetor on the planet attached to your engine! Couple that with the best front engine bearing ever made and you have an easy to tune, long lasting powerhouse for under $300 in your choice of either. I will say there are lots of great "engines" in the $200 price range, but unfortunately most of them come with useless carbs.....just something to think about......
I have tuned those nova carbs and maybe my carb is from a different planet because it definatly tunes easier.

OS XZ-b gets my vote. Easy to tune, idles for days and plenty of power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.