R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   B6 pro VS os speed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/568930-b6-pro-vs-os-speed.html)

l3asher 11-17-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 9923586)
Myself I always liked the Savage better then the Revo !

No no GMC over Ford.

Chris Peralta 11-17-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9923314)
That is true, our engines tend to last a bit longer :nod:

Especially with OS carbs :lol:

got_nitro 11-17-2011 02:09 PM

:lol:
I think not....

bigjayjay1 11-17-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9924388)
:lol:
I think not....

+2

+2 OS carb and you have a much better mill

didrace 11-21-2011 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys...!!

It seems that both engines are good in their own way..!!:)

Rcrenew 11-21-2011 03:50 PM

both engines are good and perfromace wise both are comparable to each other. But Some pople like OS and some Werks...... Your just going to have to see for yourself. I will say I have had a large amount of people not happy with the New Os engines since they have come out...

Lance
RcRenew

got_nitro 11-21-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rcrenew (Post 9941178)
I will say I have had a large amount of people not happy with the New Os engines since they have come out...
Lance
RcRenew

And I have seen just the opposite. Werks cant hold a tune, sporadic idle ETC. I seen too many problems with them everywhere I've been. I'm not talking smack about them as I have never owned one, just say'n... But like you said, just going to have to see for yourself.

bigjayjay1 11-21-2011 06:02 PM

Lance is right buy and try I have both mills but prefer my OS speeds for its power band I also run Neil clocked B5 that also one hell of an engine with my OS Carb attached. People have a hard time with the news speeds cause they are use to the old j21 Carb with the new short needle it takes time many many swap out the needles to the old type then all their issues magical disappear they claim to have better run time. Personal I think its a mind issue cause they feel more comfortable and their able to dial in the tune better.

Werks 11-21-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9941485)
And I have seen just the opposite. Werks cant hold a tune, sporadic idle ETC. I seen too many problems with them everywhere I've been. I'm not talking smack about them as I have never owned one, just say'n... But like you said, just going to have to see for yourself.

We'll maybe you are one of the fortunate few that gets to handle more engines that Lance does??? With the amount of engines that passes through his hands with his sleeve pinching and engine rebuilding business I'm guessing it is probably doubtful, just say'n. :D Plus I think that he really has no reason to lie about things.

The bottom line is everyone is going to like their own engine. When it is compared to another engine that they don't have, guess what, the other engine is crap. I went through this for years and we are still going through this. If you like/prefer OS engines then like them. There is no need to sit there and talk a bunch of mess about other brands especially if you have zero experience dealing with them personally.

If you have even a basic knowledge/understanding of engines then you should be intelligent enough to know that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly. What that means is the vast majority of the time that you see people struggling with engines at the track be it OS, Nova, Werks or whatever brand, it's usually because they simply don't get what they are doing, not that there is something mechanically wrong with their engines. So in that case is the issue with the engine or with the user? I think that the majority of the people that are having issues are not going to be too willing to say that they just don't understand what they are doing lol! So it gets chalked up to there is something wrong with my engine!

Now compounding that fact you have to look at the who the purchasers/users are. I guarantee you that there are a lot less "new people" buying $400-$500 OS Speed engines than there are "new people" buying $199-$250 engines from other brands. So out of those 2 groups, which one do you think is more likely to have an issue? More than likely the second again right?

I think that you get what I'm talking about. We race stock engines simply to test our equipment to make sure that there are no issues. If our engines were touchy, problematic and could not be tuned, we would not be able to race our self. That does not happen. I'll have to start posting more race results on here as I guess that I still need to prove that our engines are competitive lol. I think that there was a decent sized one down in NC just last weekend where our engines made up about 50% of the A main in invitational (Pro) buggy class. So someone someone seems able to use the things lol!

got_nitro 11-21-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9942016)
We'll maybe you are one of the fortunate few that gets to handle more engines that Lance does??? With the amount of engines that passes through his hands with his sleeve pinching and engine rebuilding business I'm guessing it is probably doubtful, just say'n. :D Plus I think that he really has no reason to lie about things.

The bottom line is everyone is going to like their own engine. When it is compared to another engine that they don't have, guess what, the other engine is crap. I went through this for years and we are still going through this. If you like/prefer OS engines then like them. There is no need to sit there and talk a bunch of mess about other brands especially if you have zero experience dealing with them personally.

If you have even a basic knowledge/understanding of engines then you should be intelligent enough to know that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly. What that means is the vast majority of the time that you see people struggling with engines at the track be it OS, Nova, Werks or whatever brand, it's usually because they simply don't get what they are doing, not that there is something mechanically wrong with their engines. So in that case is the issue with the engine or with the user? I think that the majority of the people that are having issues are not going to be too willing to say that they just don't understand what they are doing lol! So it gets chalked up to there is something wrong with my engine!

Now compounding that fact you have to look at the who the purchasers/users are. I guarantee you that there are a lot less "new people" buying $400-$500 OS Speed engines than there are "new people" buying $199-$250 engines from other brands. So out of those 2 groups, which one do you think is more likely to have an issue? More than likely the second again right?

I think that you get what I'm talking about. We race stock engines simply to test our equipment to make sure that there are no issues. If our engines were touchy, problematic and could not be tuned, we would not be able to race our self. That does not happen. I'll have to start posting more race results on here as I guess that I still need to prove that our engines are competitive lol. I think that there was a decent sized one down in NC just last weekend where our engines made up about 50% of the A main in invitational (Pro) buggy class. So someone someone seems able to use the things lol!

No one was "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines and NO one was questioning Lance either. I didn't question him or his knowledge, I simply quoted him. I see what I see and to say "user inability to tune the engine properly" is insulting to say the least... Funny thing about that blanket statment is they were with o.s. before werks and now they are back to o.s lol:lol: You could put a turd engine in the hands of a great driver and they will STILL win. You of all people should know it's not all about the power of the engine right?;) None of what you say means I have not seen and heard about the problems I already posted about, just say'n....

Chris Peralta 11-21-2011 08:43 PM

Does not really matter how fast an engine is or how long it lasts if you want to pull your hair out trying to make it run/idle properly. Putting OS and Nova carbs on the budget engines of all kinds has been going on since I started this toy car racing.

I personally don't see how you save money when you put a $100+ carb on a $200-$275 engine.

Werks 11-21-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9942338)
No one was "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines and NO one was questioning Lance either. I didn't question him or his knowledge, I simply quoted him. I see what I see and to say "user inability to tune the engine properly" is insulting to say the least... Funny thing about that blanket statment is they were with o.s. before werks and now they are back to o.s lol:lol: You could put a turd engine in the hands of a great driver and they will STILL win. You of all people should know it's not all about the power of the engine right?;) None of what you say means I have not seen and heard about the problems I already posted about, just say'n....

Not a problem, I simply quoted you I guess just like you did Lance lol. If you think that my statement saying "that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly" is "insulting to say the least" then you must be in la la land or something. I deal with reality and as I mentioned I'm talking about all engine brands, not just mine so that includes your vaulted OS brand too. Are there mechanical issues that pop up occasionally, sure. Are there engine failures that are not a result of misuse occasionally, sure. However I stand by what I say which is that the vast majority of issues that people experience are as a result of lack of tuning knowledge and this is an even bigger factor when dealing with lower costs engines and/or the more entry level market segment. Think I'm wrong in saying this, try talking to some of the other engine reps like I do. Do you think that I just pull this stuff out of my butt or something? Contrary to all of the bickering and stuff on the forums by people that are not involved in the industry, all of us in it talk and for the most part get along with each other just fine.

xxxntwv 11-22-2011 04:04 AM

In today's market all the engines seem to be of good quality.I've seen $100 dynamite engines last longer than $400 speeds.some may be easier to tune but in the end if you understand nitro engines they all can be competetive.And for the most part all will be over powered.

got_nitro 11-22-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9942587)
Not a problem, I simply quoted you I guess just like you did Lance lol. If you think that my statement saying "that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly" is "insulting to say the least" then you must be in la la land or something. I deal with reality and as I mentioned I'm talking about all engine brands, not just mine so that includes your vaulted OS brand too. Are there mechanical issues that pop up occasionally, sure. Are there engine failures that are not a result of misuse occasionally, sure. However I stand by what I say which is that the vast majority of issues that people experience are as a result of lack of tuning knowledge and this is an even bigger factor when dealing with lower costs engines and/or the more entry level market segment. Think I'm wrong in saying this, try talking to some of the other engine reps like I do. Do you think that I just pull this stuff out of my butt or something? Contrary to all of the bickering and stuff on the forums by people that are not involved in the industry, all of us in it talk and for the most part get along with each other just fine.

To say that werks engines or any engine for that matter needs a person that knows what they are doing to tune them is a cop out for a existing problem that no one has fixed IMO. "User error" can be used (no pun) on anything you do in life. The people I know that tried them are not noob's to the game. Most all of them have years of racing under their belts. They bought werks budget engines to save money but the fact of the matter is they are out even more now because they had to sell them for 1/2 of what they paid and spend more on O.S.

There really is no point in bickering with you because I was not "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines. I was simply stating a fact of what I see and hear.

Now, I understand this is a "this VS that" thread but when a question like (what engine will last longer, o.s or werks?) and the owner of werks comes in and says this:

You can bet your butt people like myself are going to chime in and post either what they know first hand, see at tracks or what friends of there's are experiencing from owning it. I know there will always be factory defects, thats a given. My experience is I don't see the factory defects in o.s. nearly as often as any other, not just yours.

You can call me o.s "vaulted fan boy" all you choose! I will take that label and wear it proud!:nod::nod:

ntrain42 11-22-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9943500)
You can call me o.s "vaulted fan boy" all you choose! I will take that label and wear it proud!:nod::nod:

When someone goes into a thread claiming an OS VG.30 is a high performance engine in a few other threads.........yeah I think "vaulted fan boy" is a very MILD understatement.

I have my share of OS engines and they make some good mills, but alot of their engines(good performing or not) are grossly overpriced in terms of what you get for performance and longevity. :rolleyes:

I think the OS speed is a great engine, but its not $4-500 great. I would as another person said above take 2 B5 or B6 Pros(Or one of each)vs. a single OS Speed for the same money. The Werks engines perform and TUNE just as well as any of the OS speed engines(ANd IM the B5's have more low end torque while maintaining their top end), both brands are very popular at my track. But I would rather have a brand new spare for the same money.