R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Offroad Nitro Engine Forum (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum-157/)
-   -   B6 pro VS os speed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-nitro-engine-forum/568930-b6-pro-vs-os-speed.html)

didrace 11-16-2011 07:30 AM

B6 pro VS os speed

Guys how does the B6 compares to the O.S.

I do want a reliable engine..no cut outs, good idleling and durability.

I already bought the 2010 b6 which i run a few times and it is very good engine..

I also have the previous speed with the aluminium head..

The only thing i can say the speed seems a bit more controllable and the power range is suited more to my driving style..

Also the top end is higher since for the b6 i am using the 2013 pipe..so really i can not compare the too..

Also the b6 pro seemd to be a different mill so i am looking to see what are the comments.

Thanks a lot..

ForwardBite 11-16-2011 08:48 AM

I think you answred your own question on the 5th line of your post:nod:

Toiffel 11-16-2011 08:53 AM

:rolleyes:

bigjayjay1 11-16-2011 10:06 AM

I owe the werks line their sitting on the side, I'm currently running the new speed and hara line OS motors. Both mills are very nice you cannot knock Werks but for me its all OS better for my driving excellent run times, power, tunability and its looks so pretty.

Get ready the 911 call sent out :lol:

ForwardBite 11-16-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Toiffel (Post 9918363)
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::cry:

Frank L 11-16-2011 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ForwardBite (Post 9918348)
I think you answered your own question on the 5th line of your post:nod:

Yep... I see it too in line 5

"The only thing i can say the speed seems a bit more controllable and the power range is suited more to my driving style.."

OS Speed all the way. I could get into the nuts and bolts of the B6 but I done need all the hater PM's

Matt Piva 11-16-2011 12:36 PM

2 b6 pros 1 os speed, u can put all it eggs into one basket or have a nice new back up incase something happens. I'm werks all the way, but I come from nova engines, I'm happy with all the ninja and vspecs iv had but the werks make the huge bottom end power I like and can control, the speeds are phenomenal engines and are worth every penny but I still get the same feeling about my werks engines and I can message the owner n expect a response the same day if not hour. U can't do a vs thread on 2 great engines that r tried n true :/ gotta figure out what ones better for u, which u already have a good idea what one is working, to me it sounds like ur thinking how everyone thinks n that's money.

didrace 11-17-2011 02:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies..

So the new pro B6 is the same engine i have? I thought the new B6 was a new version and i wanted a comparison with the new o.s speed.

Do the wrecks engine have the same reliability and durability as the o.s?

Herrsavage 11-17-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by didrace (Post 9921834)
Thanks for all the replies..

So the new pro B6 is the same engine i have? I thought the new B6 was a new version and i wanted a comparison with the new o.s speed.

"wrecks"... :p

got_nitro 11-17-2011 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Herrsavage (Post 9921871)
"wrecks"... :p

:lol::lol:

o.s. fanboy here.:nod:

Frank L 11-17-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by didrace (Post 9921834)

No

Werks 11-17-2011 09:43 AM

That is true, our engines tend to last a bit longer :nod:

offroad dude 11-17-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9923314)

Ron you might have a valid point......:lol:

KThatcher 11-17-2011 10:20 AM

I dont want to upset anyone but IMHO

:batman:>:spidey:

however

:deathstar>:batman:

Maximo 11-17-2011 10:42 AM

Myself I always liked the Savage better then the Revo !

l3asher 11-17-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Maximo (Post 9923586)
Myself I always liked the Savage better then the Revo !

No no GMC over Ford.

Chris Peralta 11-17-2011 01:02 PM

Especially with OS carbs :lol:

got_nitro 11-17-2011 02:09 PM

:lol:
I think not....

bigjayjay1 11-17-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9924388)
:lol:
I think not....

+2

+2 OS carb and you have a much better mill

didrace 11-21-2011 03:33 PM

Thanks for the replies guys...!!

It seems that both engines are good in their own way..!!:)

Rcrenew 11-21-2011 03:50 PM

both engines are good and perfromace wise both are comparable to each other. But Some pople like OS and some Werks...... Your just going to have to see for yourself. I will say I have had a large amount of people not happy with the New Os engines since they have come out...

Lance
RcRenew

got_nitro 11-21-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rcrenew (Post 9941178)
I will say I have had a large amount of people not happy with the New Os engines since they have come out...
Lance
RcRenew

And I have seen just the opposite. Werks cant hold a tune, sporadic idle ETC. I seen too many problems with them everywhere I've been. I'm not talking smack about them as I have never owned one, just say'n... But like you said, just going to have to see for yourself.

bigjayjay1 11-21-2011 06:02 PM

Lance is right buy and try I have both mills but prefer my OS speeds for its power band I also run Neil clocked B5 that also one hell of an engine with my OS Carb attached. People have a hard time with the news speeds cause they are use to the old j21 Carb with the new short needle it takes time many many swap out the needles to the old type then all their issues magical disappear they claim to have better run time. Personal I think its a mind issue cause they feel more comfortable and their able to dial in the tune better.

Werks 11-21-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9941485)
And I have seen just the opposite. Werks cant hold a tune, sporadic idle ETC. I seen too many problems with them everywhere I've been. I'm not talking smack about them as I have never owned one, just say'n... But like you said, just going to have to see for yourself.

We'll maybe you are one of the fortunate few that gets to handle more engines that Lance does??? With the amount of engines that passes through his hands with his sleeve pinching and engine rebuilding business I'm guessing it is probably doubtful, just say'n. :D Plus I think that he really has no reason to lie about things.

The bottom line is everyone is going to like their own engine. When it is compared to another engine that they don't have, guess what, the other engine is crap. I went through this for years and we are still going through this. If you like/prefer OS engines then like them. There is no need to sit there and talk a bunch of mess about other brands especially if you have zero experience dealing with them personally.

If you have even a basic knowledge/understanding of engines then you should be intelligent enough to know that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly. What that means is the vast majority of the time that you see people struggling with engines at the track be it OS, Nova, Werks or whatever brand, it's usually because they simply don't get what they are doing, not that there is something mechanically wrong with their engines. So in that case is the issue with the engine or with the user? I think that the majority of the people that are having issues are not going to be too willing to say that they just don't understand what they are doing lol! So it gets chalked up to there is something wrong with my engine!

Now compounding that fact you have to look at the who the purchasers/users are. I guarantee you that there are a lot less "new people" buying $400-$500 OS Speed engines than there are "new people" buying $199-$250 engines from other brands. So out of those 2 groups, which one do you think is more likely to have an issue? More than likely the second again right?

I think that you get what I'm talking about. We race stock engines simply to test our equipment to make sure that there are no issues. If our engines were touchy, problematic and could not be tuned, we would not be able to race our self. That does not happen. I'll have to start posting more race results on here as I guess that I still need to prove that our engines are competitive lol. I think that there was a decent sized one down in NC just last weekend where our engines made up about 50% of the A main in invitational (Pro) buggy class. So someone someone seems able to use the things lol!

got_nitro 11-21-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9942016)
We'll maybe you are one of the fortunate few that gets to handle more engines that Lance does??? With the amount of engines that passes through his hands with his sleeve pinching and engine rebuilding business I'm guessing it is probably doubtful, just say'n. :D Plus I think that he really has no reason to lie about things.

The bottom line is everyone is going to like their own engine. When it is compared to another engine that they don't have, guess what, the other engine is crap. I went through this for years and we are still going through this. If you like/prefer OS engines then like them. There is no need to sit there and talk a bunch of mess about other brands especially if you have zero experience dealing with them personally.

If you have even a basic knowledge/understanding of engines then you should be intelligent enough to know that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly. What that means is the vast majority of the time that you see people struggling with engines at the track be it OS, Nova, Werks or whatever brand, it's usually because they simply don't get what they are doing, not that there is something mechanically wrong with their engines. So in that case is the issue with the engine or with the user? I think that the majority of the people that are having issues are not going to be too willing to say that they just don't understand what they are doing lol! So it gets chalked up to there is something wrong with my engine!

Now compounding that fact you have to look at the who the purchasers/users are. I guarantee you that there are a lot less "new people" buying $400-$500 OS Speed engines than there are "new people" buying $199-$250 engines from other brands. So out of those 2 groups, which one do you think is more likely to have an issue? More than likely the second again right?

I think that you get what I'm talking about. We race stock engines simply to test our equipment to make sure that there are no issues. If our engines were touchy, problematic and could not be tuned, we would not be able to race our self. That does not happen. I'll have to start posting more race results on here as I guess that I still need to prove that our engines are competitive lol. I think that there was a decent sized one down in NC just last weekend where our engines made up about 50% of the A main in invitational (Pro) buggy class. So someone someone seems able to use the things lol!

No one was "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines and NO one was questioning Lance either. I didn't question him or his knowledge, I simply quoted him. I see what I see and to say "user inability to tune the engine properly" is insulting to say the least... Funny thing about that blanket statment is they were with o.s. before werks and now they are back to o.s lol:lol: You could put a turd engine in the hands of a great driver and they will STILL win. You of all people should know it's not all about the power of the engine right?;) None of what you say means I have not seen and heard about the problems I already posted about, just say'n....

Chris Peralta 11-21-2011 08:43 PM

Does not really matter how fast an engine is or how long it lasts if you want to pull your hair out trying to make it run/idle properly. Putting OS and Nova carbs on the budget engines of all kinds has been going on since I started this toy car racing.

I personally don't see how you save money when you put a $100+ carb on a $200-$275 engine.

Werks 11-21-2011 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9942338)
No one was "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines and NO one was questioning Lance either. I didn't question him or his knowledge, I simply quoted him. I see what I see and to say "user inability to tune the engine properly" is insulting to say the least... Funny thing about that blanket statment is they were with o.s. before werks and now they are back to o.s lol:lol: You could put a turd engine in the hands of a great driver and they will STILL win. You of all people should know it's not all about the power of the engine right?;) None of what you say means I have not seen and heard about the problems I already posted about, just say'n....

Not a problem, I simply quoted you I guess just like you did Lance lol. If you think that my statement saying "that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly" is "insulting to say the least" then you must be in la la land or something. I deal with reality and as I mentioned I'm talking about all engine brands, not just mine so that includes your vaulted OS brand too. Are there mechanical issues that pop up occasionally, sure. Are there engine failures that are not a result of misuse occasionally, sure. However I stand by what I say which is that the vast majority of issues that people experience are as a result of lack of tuning knowledge and this is an even bigger factor when dealing with lower costs engines and/or the more entry level market segment. Think I'm wrong in saying this, try talking to some of the other engine reps like I do. Do you think that I just pull this stuff out of my butt or something? Contrary to all of the bickering and stuff on the forums by people that are not involved in the industry, all of us in it talk and for the most part get along with each other just fine.

xxxntwv 11-22-2011 04:04 AM

In today's market all the engines seem to be of good quality.I've seen $100 dynamite engines last longer than $400 speeds.some may be easier to tune but in the end if you understand nitro engines they all can be competetive.And for the most part all will be over powered.

got_nitro 11-22-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9942587)
Not a problem, I simply quoted you I guess just like you did Lance lol. If you think that my statement saying "that the vast majority of problems that you see with any brand of engine that you see at the track is as a result of the engine user inability to tune the engine properly" is "insulting to say the least" then you must be in la la land or something. I deal with reality and as I mentioned I'm talking about all engine brands, not just mine so that includes your vaulted OS brand too. Are there mechanical issues that pop up occasionally, sure. Are there engine failures that are not a result of misuse occasionally, sure. However I stand by what I say which is that the vast majority of issues that people experience are as a result of lack of tuning knowledge and this is an even bigger factor when dealing with lower costs engines and/or the more entry level market segment. Think I'm wrong in saying this, try talking to some of the other engine reps like I do. Do you think that I just pull this stuff out of my butt or something? Contrary to all of the bickering and stuff on the forums by people that are not involved in the industry, all of us in it talk and for the most part get along with each other just fine.

To say that werks engines or any engine for that matter needs a person that knows what they are doing to tune them is a cop out for a existing problem that no one has fixed IMO. "User error" can be used (no pun) on anything you do in life. The people I know that tried them are not noob's to the game. Most all of them have years of racing under their belts. They bought werks budget engines to save money but the fact of the matter is they are out even more now because they had to sell them for 1/2 of what they paid and spend more on O.S.

There really is no point in bickering with you because I was not "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines. I was simply stating a fact of what I see and hear.

Now, I understand this is a "this VS that" thread but when a question like (what engine will last longer, o.s or werks?) and the owner of werks comes in and says this:

You can bet your butt people like myself are going to chime in and post either what they know first hand, see at tracks or what friends of there's are experiencing from owning it. I know there will always be factory defects, thats a given. My experience is I don't see the factory defects in o.s. nearly as often as any other, not just yours.

You can call me o.s "vaulted fan boy" all you choose! I will take that label and wear it proud!:nod::nod:

ntrain42 11-22-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9943500)
You can call me o.s "vaulted fan boy" all you choose! I will take that label and wear it proud!:nod::nod:

When someone goes into a thread claiming an OS VG.30 is a high performance engine in a few other threads.........yeah I think "vaulted fan boy" is a very MILD understatement.

I have my share of OS engines and they make some good mills, but alot of their engines(good performing or not) are grossly overpriced in terms of what you get for performance and longevity. :rolleyes:

I think the OS speed is a great engine, but its not $4-500 great. I would as another person said above take 2 B5 or B6 Pros(Or one of each)vs. a single OS Speed for the same money. The Werks engines perform and TUNE just as well as any of the OS speed engines(ANd IM the B5's have more low end torque while maintaining their top end), both brands are very popular at my track. But I would rather have a brand new spare for the same money.

Greg B 11-22-2011 05:16 AM

We have been selling the 21 speeds for $375. To me, that's still pricey but it is a good deal considering. I like OS engines because it's a proprietary product of Great Planes, much like Losi or Spektrum is with Horizon. These type of companies will be around for the duration.
I've never tried the Werks but have sold a few. There are simply alot of good budget engines on the market today.

ntrain42 11-22-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Greg B (Post 9943559)
We have been selling the 21 speeds for $375. To me, that's still pricey but it is a good deal considering. I like OS engines because it's a proprietary product of Great Planes, much like Losi or Spektrum is with Horizon. These type of companies will be around for the duration.
I've never tried the Werks but have sold a few. There are simply alot of good budget engines on the market today.

What exactly seperates a "budget engine" from an older name brand engine? I see little if anything. You pay for the "OS" name.

Lets use the B6 Pro as an example vs the OS Speed. I can get the B6 Pro for about $210 here locally and the OS Speed For about $400.

So someone please chime in on case,crank,sleeve material, heatsink, carb design, bearings used etc etc......just in actual materials alone what does double the price get me if I go with the name brand "O.S." vs the Werks engine? Nothing. Just as an example. Too many engines in the $200 range that have just as much performance and will last just as long if not longer than a "name brand" OS engine. Just find the power characteristics your looking for in an engine and you will be 100% competitive(assuming your driving skills r up to snuff ;) )

markmo 11-22-2011 06:19 AM

Several very good options

Settle down guys. I have to agree with Ron and say that most 98% of problems are user related when it comes to motor issues. I have been racing nitro for a long time and have run Novas, Rb, OS, OPS/radical, ninja, speeds, alpha, Go, and now I have a B6 that I will run next time I race.

Everyone of these engines have performed well and were more then capable to help me be competitive. I have only had a few mechanical failures and maybe only one early on in the engine life. All of these engines performed and tuned just fine up to the point that they are just worn out. Some engines I have liked better than others, but that was simply because of the performance characteristics and the power band that I prefer.

I will say this. If you pay for your motors and spend more than $300 I think you are wasting money these days with all the great options in the $200-300 range. I think most of the racers would be just as fast with sub $200 motor like many of the 3ports. I would never pay for a high dollar OS or RB again with todays great options.

merdith6 11-22-2011 10:10 AM

True

and most of the engines that friends at the track askme to tune are very dirty. Dirt in and around the glowplug hole, and ee case, leaky carb or somewhere....weird clutch setup...and make for a difficult to tune engine
I may throw a new plug in it.
and
get running ok, but once an engine has been dogged out, it just never runs good again, no matter what brand it is....

Rcrenew 11-22-2011 11:57 AM

Every engine is going to have issues sometimes, its the nature of manufacturing and the Precision needed for these engine to run right.

WE are lucky to have so many great choices on engines and engines are truly a personal preference thing. I know guys that have had 3 novas and had terrible luck and switched to O.S and havent been happier, also I know guys that swithced from O.S to Werks and are very happy. So what one person like the other may not....

I know guys that swear there is something wrong with there engine, flameouts, poor idle, etc.. I get it and the tune is completly off and engine when tuned correctly runs perfect. And this happens ALL the time....With all kinds of brands..

So I think people need to not always assume because 5 guys at there track have problems with Brand X engine that its always the engines fault.... Take it with a grain of salt and know that they may not get the tuning of that particular brand engine, Have another component effecting the engine causing issues (tank, lines etc..)..

BUt the Problem My customers have day in and day out with the New O.S arent that they wont tune or run right, its just that they are losing compression to the point they will not run in a very short amount of time.

But I think the problem( and this is from my customers not me) is is when you spend $400 on an engine and it lasts for 2 gallons or less(being properly tuned and maintained) people just dont think that Is a resonable return on there investment..... And dont get me wrong I know lots of guys who love the new O.S enignes but The BUzz I am hearing more and more lately is that Its just not worth the money for what you get. Especially now that there are a lot of great choices for less that performance wise are comparable.

But there is no correct answer to which is better, its personal preference. I Like a lot of different engines, and I am not saying the O.S is a bad engine, its not. But something is going on with the manufacturing process and the piston/ sleeve tolerances being inconsistant. And not with all of them but quite a few. BUt After I resize them they are back up and running again...

Lance
RcRenew

merdith6 11-22-2011 12:22 PM

well

I've been noticing the OS .21 engines loosing compression for a loong time.

The original v spec came out in 2004 and it had similar problems as the new speed. I think the buzzzzz has been around for a long time.

http://www.osengines.com/history/ostimeline23.html

Rcrenew 11-22-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by merdith6 (Post 9945234)
I've been noticing the OS .21 engines loosing compression for a loong time.

The original v spec came out in 2004 and it had similar problems as the new speed. I think the buzzzzz has been around for a long time.

http://www.osengines.com/history/ostimeline23.html

The Buzz has been around a long time yes, but I think people were under the impression with the new Models that was going to be addressed. I think I can remember an ad that stated something about longetivity being increased....IDK Regardless I have a lot of Die Hard OS customers that Have recently moved on and felt the older model was better and lasted longer than the New model??

This is just what I see, and hear from Talking with customers and working on engine every day. But then again 80% of my customers are not RcTech members. There is a whole lot of other opinions in the world than whats on Rc-Tech..

Lance
RcRenew.com

Werks 11-22-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by got_nitro (Post 9943500)
To say that werks engines or any engine for that matter needs a person that knows what they are doing to tune them is a cop out for a existing problem that no one has fixed IMO. "User error" can be used (no pun) on anything you do in life. The people I know that tried them are not noob's to the game. Most all of them have years of racing under their belts. They bought werks budget engines to save money but the fact of the matter is they are out even more now because they had to sell them for 1/2 of what they paid and spend more on O.S.

There really is no point in bickering with you because I was not "talking a bunch of mess" about your engines. I was simply stating a fact of what I see and hear.

Now, I understand this is a "this VS that" thread but when a question like (what engine will last longer, o.s or werks?) and the owner of werks comes in and says this:

You can bet your butt people like myself are going to chime in and post either what they know first hand, see at tracks or what friends of there's are experiencing from owning it. I know there will always be factory defects, thats a given. My experience is I don't see the factory defects in o.s. nearly as often as any other, not just yours.

In regards to my initial comment that riled you up, I was just kidding.

You said "To say that werks engines or any engine for that matter needs a person that knows what they are doing to tune them is a cop out for a existing problem that no one has fixed IMO". That is in my opinion the biggest load of crock ever. We are not dealing with a brushless electric motor here where all you need to do is plug the battery in, you have to actually adjust a carburetor and if you adjust it wrong, you will damage your engine! Different brands of engines and their carburetors specifically tune differently and it takes time to learn how work with each one. Engines are also quite sensitive to a multitude of things including tune, lubricants used in the fuels, air filtration, temperatures run at etc. etc.

Prime example is AAC construction engines, they make more power, run much cooler and basically kick arse when it comes to racing performance. Run the too lean or over heat them 1 time though and the motor is toast because the sleeve deforms and does not seal effectively anymore. Is that user error or just a "cop out for an existing problem" as you say? No it is simply a by product of the materials used in the engine to maximize performance which means that if you are using this type of equipment, you better know what you are doing with the screw driver! This is an on-road type of engine but it is a valid example.

People for years have gotten away in the off-road arena without really understanding how to tune engines simply because the engines were not really pushed hard for performance. Well guess what, when you need longer run time, tune becomes more critical. When you need better performance, tune becomes more critical. When you want longer engine life when pushing your engine for better performance and run time, you guessed it tune becomes more critical! 90% of the engines that you hear running around an off-road track lean bogging, running on etc. etc. would have grenaded if they were on an on-road track. Because they are not being pushed so hard as on an on-road track they do not blow up, but there is damage done....

Part of the reason that I decided to comment on your post initially was because of the type of comments you make like this "The people I know that tried them are not noob's to the game. They bought werks budget engines to save money but the fact of the matter is they are out even more now because they had to sell them for 1/2 of what they paid and spend more on O.S.". I'm not even going to touch on the "werks budget engines" comment but as I've mentioned several times in the past we race with exactly the same engines that we sell to the consumers. So if Kortz gets and engine, a box is simply pulled off the shelf and sent to him. If Bradley gets and engine, a box is simply pulled off the shelf and sent to him. If Mo Denton gets an engine, a box is simly pulled off the shelf and sent to him. If your local hobby shop orders and engine, a box is again simply pulled off the shelf and sent to thim. So we sell exactly the same engines that we race with. We do not go through them. We do not pull them from a special inventory. We do now use special parts. We just pull a sealed box out of stock and send it off to the driver so customer xyz has the same likely hood of getting a specific engine as Kortz or any of our other drivers do. So then the questions becomes why if what you are saying is correct and what I said is "just a cop out for a problem that has not been fixed" how is it that we are having no problems at all? Can you please explain that to me? When I randomly pull an engine off the shelf to send to the team guys do you think that we are getting the box with the golden ticket in it every time? If so then I should start playing the lottery and leave this mess behind lol.

You went on to say "My experience is I don't see the factory defects in o.s. nearly as often as any other, not just yours.". I'm not sure how long you have been in the industry but based on my experience that is not correct. The engine line that I have seen have the least amount of factory defects over the years has been RB. That's just me being honest because contrary to what you might be thinking none of this is about me running around with my head up in the clouds thinking that we make the best stuff in the world and my butt does not stink lol. I try to be honest about everything and if I found that there was an identifiable issue with any of our products I would be one of the first manufacturers to stand up to acknowledge it and then promptly resolve it because that is how I do things.

I will say though that what I have seen first hand at the tracks in regards to OS reliability and life expectancy has been completely different than yours specifically in regards to the new generation of engines. The main reason for this is imho a by product of the sleeve design and specifically the taper that they are using in the Speed II which is going to make the engines much more sensitive to being run too lean so....ironically considering what we have been bickering about but proper tune is going to become much, much more important with that engine too lol! Might I be wrong, yes. But knowing what I do know about engines you do not see me running around relaying the horror stories that I have heard about any specific brand. Instead what you hear me saying is that the vast majority of engine related issues are tuning related, because frankly they are. None of us what I would call established manufacturers are going to put out junk. None of us are going to continue shipping products that we know have defects and/or issues. It simply does not make sense for us to do so! If we know that there is a problem we will fix it and be done with it and to think anything otherwise is akin to tying to convince everybody that there was a second shooter that killed Kennedy or something like that.:nod:

So when it comes down to which engine a person should buy. Get the one that you want. Educate your self, read the forums so that you can see what the day to day posts are about the engines. You will learn a lot more about what works and what does not by doing that than you will asking people for their opinions because you at least see people that actually have the engines discussing things rather than getting 3rd hand opinions from people that have never even used the product!

greenracing 11-22-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Werks (Post 9945447)
In regards to my initial comment that riled you up, I was just kidding.

You said "To say that werks engines or any engine for that matter needs a person that knows what they are doing to tune them is a cop out for a existing problem that no one has fixed IMO". That is in my opinion the biggest load of crock ever. We are not dealing with a brushless electric motor here where all you need to do is plug the battery in, you have to actually adjust a carburetor and if you adjust it wrong, you will damage your engine! Different brands of engines and their carburetors specifically tune differently and it takes time to learn how work with each one. Engines are also quite sensitive to a multitude of things including tune, lubricants used in the fuels, air filtration, temperatures run at etc. etc.

Prime example is AAC construction engines, they make more power, run much cooler and basically kick arse when it comes to racing performance. Run the too lean or over heat them 1 time though and the motor is toast because the sleeve deforms and does not seal effectively anymore. Is that user error or just a "cop out for an existing problem" as you say? No it is simply a by product of the materials used in the engine to maximize performance which means that if you are using this type of equipment, you better know what you are doing with the screw driver! This is an on-road type of engine but it is a valid example.

People for years have gotten away in the off-road arena without really understanding how to tune engines simply because the engines were not really pushed hard for performance. Well guess what, when you need longer run time, tune becomes more critical. When you need better performance, tune becomes more critical. When you want longer engine life when pushing your engine for better performance and run time, you guessed it tune becomes more critical! 90% of the engines that you hear running around an off-road track lean bogging, running on etc. etc. would have grenaded if they were on an on-road track. Because they are not being pushed so hard as on an on-road track they do not blow up, but there is damage done....

Part of the reason that I decided to comment on your post initially was because of the type of comments you make like this "The people I know that tried them are not noob's to the game. They bought werks budget engines to save money but the fact of the matter is they are out even more now because they had to sell them for 1/2 of what they paid and spend more on O.S.". I'm not even going to touch on the "werks budget engines" comment but as I've mentioned several times in the past we race with exactly the same engines that we sell to the consumers. So if Kortz gets and engine, a box is simply pulled off the shelf and sent to him. If Bradley gets and engine, a box is simply pulled off the shelf and sent to him. If Mo Denton gets an engine, a box is simly pulled off the shelf and sent to him. If your local hobby shop orders and engine, a box is again simply pulled off the shelf and sent to thim. So we sell exactly the same engines that we race with. We do not go through them. We do not pull them from a special inventory. We do now use special parts. We just pull a sealed box out of stock and send it off to the driver so customer xyz has the same likely hood of getting a specific engine as Kortz or any of our other drivers do. So then the questions becomes why if what you are saying is correct and what I said is "just a cop out for a problem that has not been fixed" how is it that we are having no problems at all? Can you please explain that to me? When I randomly pull an engine off the shelf to send to the team guys do you think that we are getting the box with the golden ticket in it every time? If so then I should start playing the lottery and leave this mess behind lol.

You went on to say "My experience is I don't see the factory defects in o.s. nearly as often as any other, not just yours.". I'm not sure how long you have been in the industry but based on my experience that is not correct. The engine line that I have seen have the least amount of factory defects over the years has been RB. That's just me being honest because contrary to what you might be thinking none of this is about me running around with my head up in the clouds thinking that we make the best stuff in the world and my butt does not stink lol. I try to be honest about everything and if I found that there was an identifiable issue with any of our products I would be one of the first manufacturers to stand up to acknowledge it and then promptly resolve it because that is how I do things.

I will say though that what I have seen first hand at the tracks in regards to OS reliability and life expectancy has been completely different than yours specifically in regards to the new generation of engines. The main reason for this is imho a by product of the sleeve design and specifically the taper that they are using in the Speed II which is going to make the engines much more sensitive to being run too lean so....ironically considering what we have been bickering about but proper tune is going to become much, much more important with that engine too lol! Might I be wrong, yes. But knowing what I do know about engines you do not see me running around relaying the horror stories that I have heard about any specific brand. Instead what you hear me saying is that the vast majority of engine related issues are tuning related, because frankly they are. None of us what I would call established manufacturers are going to put out junk. None of us are going to continue shipping products that we know have defects and/or issues. It simply does not make sense for us to do so! If we know that there is a problem we will fix it and be done with it and to think anything otherwise is akin to tying to convince everybody that there was a second shooter that killed Kennedy or something like that.:nod:

So when it comes down to which engine a person should buy. Get the one that you want. Educate your self, read the forums so that you can see what the day to day posts are about the engines. You will learn a lot more about what works and what does not by doing that than you will asking people for their opinions because you at least see people that actually have the engines discussing things rather than getting 3rd hand opinions from people that have never even used the product!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...g/a49dbd01.jpg

got_nitro 11-22-2011 02:17 PM

That was a great dissertation speach premed werks!:lol: Still dosen't change what I see and hear from friends I have known for many years. I pit with them/they pit with me, drive to tracks with and invite over to my home for dinner and family functions. I see it all first hand, it is what it is.... To be clear, NO ONE is bashing your product, just calling it as I see it. There was no need to defend anything in here werks, I don't understand why you feel the need to do such. This is a forum and people are allowed opinions and facts based on personal experiences and what they see first hand period.

Good day Sir.:cool: