Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I love the saying on the cool head
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

so does it have a tungsten insert in the crank? someone answer that yet?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 AM
JQ
Tech Master

Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

why would you pay 399 for a motor when you can pay 200 for a alpha motor that can do the same and is so easy to tune and run time is 14 min a tank .Don't get me wrong the engine looks the goods but if i can get a motor cheaper that can do the same thing why not .I'm speaking from a budget racer's point .My tow cent's
Old 07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

maybe it is just me....

But I hate the 'tune me right and I won't stop' on the head. To me, it would have to be the best engine ever made, at half the price, for me to buy it - and even then I'd sand the words off.

It is tacky and weird, writing that on an engine is a bit cheesy and comes across cheap (like it needs to be talked up) and looks like the poor constructed english that the asian knock-offs come with to try and make them sound cool. Like releasing a Helo Kitty engine (yes, almost that bad)

Maybe THE Car version 2 will have "replace my bearings and clean me for longer life" written in big letters on the body?
Cheesy.

Last edited by Mark _australia; 07-10-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VPProUSA
If I am correct, the short stroke is smoother and the long stroke has more power right?

What's The Price?
Not quite, all things being equal a short stroke engine should out-rev due to it's slower piston speed a long stroke engine therefore produce more power (top end). But the sacrifice is that peak torque comes in at a much higher RPM than a long stroke motor. Great for such a light and aggressive buggy like the JQ. Street price is around $399 US.

Originally Posted by badrun
why would you pay 399 for a motor when you can pay 200 for a alpha motor that can do the same and is so easy to tune and run time is 14 min a tank .Don't get me wrong the engine looks the goods but if i can get a motor cheaper that can do the same thing why not .I'm speaking from a budget racer's point .My tow cent's
I understand what you are saying and I agree that you don't need to spend $399. But A lot of work has gone into this engines crank, Double tungsten inserts I assume creates an extremely balanced crank. A process I've been told by a few modifiers is not easy to do "properly" and create real benefits.

That is the great thing right now with .21 buggy/truggy racing engines. There is an engine for everyone's budget and still be competitive. No need to spend $400-500 if you don't want too. But if you do, I think this is a nice option when paired with the right car.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I understand what you are saying and I agree that you don't need to spend $399. But A lot of work has gone into this engines crank, Double tungsten inserts I assume creates an extremely balanced crank. A process I've been told by a few modifiers is not easy to do "properly" and create real benefits.

That is the great thing right now with .21 buggy/truggy racing engines. There is an engine for everyone's budget and still be competitive. No need to spend $400-500 if you don't want too. But if you do, I think this is a nice option when paired with the right car.[/QUOTE]

Its only when you start traveling and spend a few thousand just to get to a race that alone even bump the engine (and doing that 5 six times a year)that you want to know that the engine will preform flawless from the first round to the end of the Amain, you will find most serious racers run the higher end engines JQ would not want something that would let the rest of the car down so i think he has hit the nail on the head with his choice of engine and the people making it..... Like the old saying goes you get what you pay for....
Old 07-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I love the saying on the head. Its true! If a fresh O.S. engine wont run right Something mechanical is wrong(clutch, fuel/pipe system) or the tune is WAY off... Thats why they can charge $450 for a motor and get it. Reliability.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Tech Champion

RC needs a bit of irony and irreverence.. Some people take it WAY too seriously. I personally would never pay 400 for an engine, but in principle good on him for writing goofy stuff on the head.. The dude has a good attitude and I wish him well..
Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mark _australia
maybe it is just me....

But I hate the 'tune me right and I won't stop' on the head. To me, it would have to be the best engine ever made, at half the price, for me to buy it - and even then I'd sand the words off.

It is tacky and weird, writing that on an engine is a bit cheesy and comes across cheap (like it needs to be talked up) and looks like the poor constructed english that the asian knock-offs come with to try and make them sound cool. Like releasing a Helo Kitty engine (yes, almost that bad)

Maybe THE Car version 2 will have "replace my bearings and clean me for longer life" written in big letters on the body?
Cheesy.
C'mon Mark where is your sense of humour mate. It's all tongue and cheek. Too many people take these "toys" way too serious. It should be about fun.

Also considering Joseph is Finnish I think his English is just fine.

Back to "The Engine", does anyone know if it comes with "The Ceramic" rear bearing?

Last edited by John.; 07-10-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badrun
I completely understand your statement from a budget racer's point of view but IMO you are mistaken if you think an Alpha has anywhere near the quality or performance that THE engine or any OS based engine has. Like I said, just my opinion.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

JQ thanks for the pics sir. other motors run great and get the job done. But a pinto will get you from point A to Point B but id rather be in a ferrari..

Last edited by Ultraspeed84; 07-10-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Tungsten slugging a crank is a very subtle modification...and the gains are really only noticed at very high RPM"s you seldom hit on a track.....However it is still a very nice feature IMO
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John.
But A lot of work has gone into this engines crank,
Bout as much work as it takes to pull the file back up on the computer at O.S., alot of design did go into this crank, but all of the credit for the design of this engine and internals go to O.S. Remember its just a Speed.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ForwardBite
I completely understand your statement from a budget racer's point of view but IMO you are mistaken if you think an Alpha has anywhere near the quality or performance that THE engine or any OS based engine has. Like I said, just my opinion.
Opinions are like a-holes; we all have one For atleast 95% of us here it really does not matter if you have OS, Nova, JQ, Alpha or even GO. Learn how to tune it and make sure your gear is in working order and you'll be as fast with any of these engines. If you feel better after you've spent 300US or 500US then you go and spend it and if you don't want to spend more than 200USD then you have options to do that. It's your call and what really matters is that you are comfortable on what you run since it's the only thing that matters.

Anyway it's pretty obvious that this engine is great. It has all the good bits from OS designs in one package with OS nice quality. As JQ said there is no single company (OS or these others) who provide the same package. Some won't like the JQ or his way of "marketing" the products thus they can use something else. Again it's your call.

Now let's wait when these hits the tracks and see how they perform

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.