.15 engine running-in help

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation .15 engine running-in help

Hi I have bought a new .15 engine and am wondering what heat I should be running it through the first couple of tanks at. Can anyone help me? I believe I read somewhere It's arround 150 degrees celcius (200 degrees F) is this correct or not. Sounds rather high for a new engine to me.
Cheers - James
Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't have much experience with anything smaller than a .21 but when I was breaking mine in the manual said to keep the temp at about 180F for 3 tanks at idle and then at around 200F for 2 more tanks driving at different speeds and never winding it out. Mine is also a Reedy 121vr but it was done with the heat cycle method and it's been running strong for the last 2 gallons and alot of pinch and when it's tuned the temp is between 260F - 280F but my vspec race tune temp was 210F and that was broken in using the heat cycle method and I sold it at almost 6 gallons with no problems with pinch or the tune.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwright1 View Post
Hi I have bought a new .15 engine and am wondering what heat I should be running it through the first couple of tanks at. Can anyone help me? I believe I read somewhere It's arround 150 degrees celcius (200 degrees F) is this correct or not. Sounds rather high for a new engine to me.
Cheers - James
first off 150*C is not 200*F... but you should keep your engine around the 200*F mark for break in....

150*C is around 300*F