Wiki Posts
Search

Air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Air filter?

Does anyone have a better way to attach the air filter to the carb other than a zip tie?I just had mine fall off a brand new engine today
Old 03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Normal air assembles come with small zip ties I toss and buy good industrial strength their wider and clamp a lot tighter. I use a medium needle nose and pull very hard nothing is coming off.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

fall off at the bottom or top? i ca the top end with a medium zip tie and use a medium zip tie on the bottom too. i leave the long end dangling so i can see it there in case i ever forget to put it back on after cleaning, again.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It came off at the bottom the hole assembly fell off...Man that makes me mad i just broke the engine in yesterday...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

This is how i check to see if my Zip tie is tight on my Air Filter. I Try and pick my buggy up by the air filter housing the lower part and if i can pick my buggy up off my work table by holding just the air filter housing then it should never come off in a race this was showed to me by an old Pro driver and it has worked for me for the last 3 years.

If the Air filter comes off you need to get a better Zip tie and make sure its tight and as most of the guys have said i use the industrial strength wider zip ties you can get them at most parts store.

Last edited by thenova70ss; 03-31-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I use a rubber O ring that is used on the brake calipers in GM cars and trucks( S10 P/U,mid size rear wheel drive cars,Astro van,etc) ,they come in the harware kit, it'll have 4 small o ring, 4 large o ring and 4 metal barrels, they serve as a cushion for the caliper to slide on. The large o rings are what you need, they are strong and have a flat surface on the inside,they will not roll off like a round o ring. Go to your local autoparts or brake repair shop... they will probably have them laying around.