Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
leaking front bearing - last ditch fix >

leaking front bearing - last ditch fix

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

leaking front bearing - last ditch fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default leaking front bearing - last ditch fix

I noticed that there a lot of threads concerning this issue. So, after reading most of the posts, the number 1 fix seems to be replacing the bearing. Well, my brand new n21r (single seal nova bearing) started leaking oil at the bearing, after only 5 tanks of fuel. I had to have been slightly rich on the bottom although the only evidence was the oil residue coming off of the flywheel. My last ditch effort? Rubbing alcohol! Ive used it in leaking hydraulic jacks to swell the seals, why not try it on a $15 bearing. I propped the engine up with the crank pointing as straight up as possible, and applied a small amount (enough to cover the seal) onto the seal without flowing onto the inner race. After 30 to 45mins i checked it. I pressure tested it. It only leaked with a good amount of pressure. It was much better than before so I put it back on the chassis and ran it. After 4 more tanks of fuel, there is no sign of any leakage! Now I can finish break-in worry free! At least no worries about the seal! Hope this helps someone else!
Sean
Old 01-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smccolp
I noticed that there a lot of threads concerning this issue. So, after reading most of the posts, the number 1 fix seems to be replacing the bearing. Well, my brand new n21r (single seal nova bearing) started leaking oil at the bearing, after only 5 tanks of fuel. I had to have been slightly rich on the bottom although the only evidence was the oil residue coming off of the flywheel. My last ditch effort? Rubbing alcohol! Ive used it in leaking hydraulic jacks to swell the seals, why not try it on a $15 bearing. I propped the engine up with the crank pointing as straight up as possible, and applied a small amount (enough to cover the seal) onto the seal without flowing onto the inner race. After 30 to 45mins i checked it. I pressure tested it. It only leaked with a good amount of pressure. It was much better than before so I put it back on the chassis and ran it. After 4 more tanks of fuel, there is no sign of any leakage! Now I can finish break-in worry free! At least no worries about the seal! Hope this helps someone else!
Sean
Those sport bearings are actually not bad but would be better to replace with 17011

Tip:do not run in engine that rich excess oil fills the crankcase, when crankcase is pressurized by rpm the excess oil is blown out the point of least resistance
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Got it! Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

I'd question that excess oil is the root cause of the leak. Oil has a lower viscosity than crankcase gases and is harder to work through a leaky seal. So in my book the oil is a benefit in your case.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

I know what ya mean chunk, and it makes some sense, but it is the oil that causes the pressure to build inside the crank case. Take a known pressure and volume for instance. If you were to decrease the volume, your pressure would increase (given there is not a leak). Try squeezing an empty pop bottle. I am a motorcycle tech and we deal with it all the time. You gotta be careful as to how much oil is in there or you blow seals. Also these engines are at 200*+, even 90wt gear oil gets really thin at high temps.
Sean
Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Anyhow, I just wanted this thread to help someone at some point.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smccolp
I know what ya mean chunk, and it makes some sense, but it is the oil that causes the pressure to build inside the crank case. Take a known pressure and volume for instance. If you were to decrease the volume, your pressure would increase (given there is not a leak). Try squeezing an empty pop bottle. I am a motorcycle tech and we deal with it all the time. You gotta be careful as to how much oil is in there or you blow seals. Also these engines are at 200*+, even 90wt gear oil gets really thin at high temps.
Sean

i really do know at least one thing about micromotors
Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

You da man Mnty!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by houston

i really do know at least one thing about micromotors
Just one things Monty?????? Thats funny Bro you Prob have forgotten more about miros then most of use will ever know.